Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city overall meets our criteria?
Denver is better: 131 65.17%
Sacramento is better: 70 34.83%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 11:57 PM

1,348 posts, read 2,856,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916 View Post
I love Sac but c'mon now.

Denver is better than Sacramento in every statistical category except weather. Denver is in a different tier compared to Sac. Sac is in the same level as Salt Lake, Columbus, and Raleigh, sorry.
Maybe ten years ago. Not now. The Sac region went from 1.9 million to 2.3 million in just the past ten years.

I agree that Sac is not equal to Denver in amenities. But I think there is enough critical mass in population in the metro region for Sac to really build the amenities that can boost it into the next tier.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:14 AM

6,885 posts, read 8,263,485 times
For being the main city in a 500 mile region, Denver is underwhelming. Unlike SF or Seattle which are the main cities in their regions, Denver's vibe is vanilla.

Big D is Dallas, not Denver.

"Really this is Denver, I thought it was supposed to be like SF....... it's more like SACRAMENTO than I would have ever imagined". That's what the boss said on the last visit.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:16 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,997,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Put MONEYBALL high on your list, a must see for any sports fan.

As a Sacramentan, it does not matter to me much. Both cities are on the same train route as Oakland when taking the train to a game. When driving, its just another 15-20mins. If it means they will get a modern ballpark, great.

I am sure the city of Oakland would not like to lose them.

I have always been more of San Francisco Giants and 49er fan, and Sacramento Kings fan, of course.
I'm surprised that there is not noise in Sacramento about luring the A's into town. Or maybe there is and it just has not generated any media attention.

For that matter, I'm surprised that there is no discussion about trying to lure the Raiders into town. They are ripe for another move, and everyone just assumes that L.A. is where they are heading. The problem with a move to L.A. is that there is no stadium (Coliseum is a no-go, that is why Davis moved back to Oakland in the 1990s) and it takes $$$ to get one. No team is going to commit without a stadium, and the city has approved two different plans, but developers are not going to invest the $$$ before a team commits.

I say all this to say that Sacramento is potentially as far along as is L.A. when it comes to a stadium deal for the Raiders. I'm sure that the Raiders ownership group would rather root into L.A's considerable television market, but on the other hand moving to Sacramento would keep the team close to the current crop of fans who attend games.

It's an interesting discussion, not really "Denver vs Sacramento" but still interesting.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:30 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,846,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I'm surprised that there is not noise in Sacramento about luring the A's into town. Or maybe there is and it just has not generated any media attention.

For that matter, I'm surprised that there is no discussion about trying to lure the Raiders into town. They are ripe for another move, and everyone just assumes that L.A. is where they are heading. The problem with a move to L.A. is that there is no stadium (Coliseum is a no-go, that is why Davis moved back to Oakland in the 1990s) and it takes $$$ to get one. No team is going to commit without a stadium, and the city has approved two different plans, but developers are not going to invest the $$$ before a team commits.

I say all this to say that Sacramento is potentially as far along as is L.A. when it comes to a stadium deal for the Raiders. I'm sure that the Raiders ownership group would rather root into L.A's considerable television market, but on the other hand moving to Sacramento would keep the team close to the current crop of fans who attend games.

It's an interesting discussion, not really "Denver vs Sacramento" but still interesting.
I think that the Kings' efforts to move out is not a good sign for sports teams desire to move to Sactown. Raiders to Sacramento makes more sense than a move to LA, but I don't think that's gonna happen, doesn't seem like Sacramento could afford to build a stadium that would be used 8 times a year. Perhaps they could get a few event deals but Sacramento is not a destination that the World Cup or other major events would seek out.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:22 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Quote:
A's are moving to San Jose almost for sure at this point. Bud Selig said he wants to get the relocation issue worked out quickly, and the A's aren't a big draw at the Oakland Coliseum lately. There's a lot of money in the South Bay/Silicon Valley--and to my knowledge Sacramento was never considered as a candidate for relocation, it's always been Fremont or San Jose that's been discussed. San Jose wants another sports team downtown and realistically can get a new ballpark built in that area...

Old 01-17-2012, 12:37 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,846,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
A's are moving to San Jose almost for sure at this point. Bud Selig said he wants to get the relocation issue worked out quickly, and the A's aren't a big draw at the Oakland Coliseum lately. There's a lot of money in the South Bay/Silicon Valley--and to my knowledge Sacramento was never considered as a candidate for relocation, it's always been Fremont or San Jose that's been discussed. San Jose wants another sports team downtown and realistically can get a new ballpark built in that area...
If they go to Fremont I hope they call themselves something like the East Bay A's. Fremont A's is just stupid, I guess San Jose A's isn't that bad.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:41 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,681,591 times
hey guys, i read about half of this thread with great interest. so, sac and denver homers...sell this jersey girl on your city. i have a week to spend in either - *in the city and immediate vicinity* - which one do I pick? I don't want to hear "drive to tahoe for a day!" "drive to vail for a day!"....if I wanted to go there, I'd simply stay there for a few days.

Ready, set, GO!!

Old 01-17-2012, 12:49 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,997,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
hey guys, i read about half of this thread with great interest. so, sac and denver homers...sell this jersey girl on your city. i have a week to spend in either - *in the city and immediate vicinity* - which one do I pick? I don't want to hear "drive to tahoe for a day!" "drive to vail for a day!"....if I wanted to go there, I'd simply stay there for a few days.

Ready, set, GO!!
If we knew your interests and what time of year your visit will be, it would help both sides to give you intelligent advice!

Old 01-17-2012, 01:19 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,681,591 times
Quote:
If we knew your interests and what time of year your visit will be, it would help both sides to give you intelligent advice!
seriously up for anything, and let's say summer. 2 teenagers and 2 parents.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:02 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
seriously up for anything, and let's say summer. 2 teenagers and 2 parents.
Hear are a few suggestions...
-Downtown Aquarium- http://www.aquariumrestaurants.com/downtownaquariumdenver/default.asp
-Denver Zoo- http://www.denverzoo.org/
-Denver Museum of Nature and Science- http://www.dmns.org/
-Take a Drive around the city
-Try the light Rail
-Walk around Downtown Denver
-Cherry Creek Mall is nice
-Elitch Gardens Amusement Park- Elitch Gardens Theme Park
-Lakeside Amusement park- Lakeside Amusement Park Information
-Many Sporting Venues
-Boulder is near by and is a very nice small town- City of Boulder Home Page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City