Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city overall meets our criteria?
Denver is better: 131 65.17%
Sacramento is better: 70 34.83%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 05:06 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,997,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Hear are a few suggestions...
-Downtown Aquarium- http://www.aquariumrestaurants.com/downtownaquariumdenver/default.asp
-Denver Zoo- http://www.denverzoo.org/
-Denver Museum of Nature and Science- http://www.dmns.org/
-Take a Drive around the city
-Try the light Rail
-Walk around Downtown Denver
-Cherry Creek Mall is nice
-Elitch Gardens Amusement Park- Elitch Gardens Theme Park
-Lakeside Amusement park- Lakeside Amusement Park Information
-Many Sporting Venues
-Boulder is near by and is a very nice small town- City of Boulder Home Page

In addition to these, make sure that you visit Coors Field for a baseball game. It is a really nice stadium and you can get decent tickets at a cheap price on Stubhub.

Also, make sure that you eat at The Fort on the western edge of town. It features menu items that are fairly uncommon elsewhere, such as bear, buffalo, and Rocky Mountain Oysters. It's a super cool restaurant with really good food. (Beware: It's a little pricey!) The Fort Famous fine dining restaurant located in Morrison, Colorado, Southwest Denver

Depending on your budget, perhaps a stay at the Brown Palace Hotel in Downtown Denver. Downtown Denver Hotels & Colorado Luxury Accommodations - The Brown Palace

While you are in that area, walk around the 16th Street Mall. There are some good shops/restaurants through there, and if you don't feel like walking there is free shuttle service.

Be sure to tour the capitol building (this goes for Sacramento as well if you choose that city) as well as the Denver Mint, which produces the majority of coins that we use in this country. The Mint is an exceptional way to spend an afternoon, and I am confident that you and your family will really enjoy it.

If you have any specific questions, let us know. Both cities have a lot of fans on this thread, so if you want specific information on either city, just ask. You are certain to get it here!

Old 01-17-2012, 08:10 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,772,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916 View Post
I love Sac but c'mon now.

Denver is better than Sacramento in every statistical category except weather. Denver is in a different tier compared to Sac. Sac is in the same level as Salt Lake, Columbus, and Raleigh, sorry.
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
For being the main city in a 500 mile region, Denver is underwhelming. Unlike SF or Seattle which are the main cities in their regions, Denver's vibe is vanilla.

Big D is Dallas, not Denver.

"Really this is Denver, I thought it was supposed to be like SF....... it's more like SACRAMENTO than I would have ever imagined". That's what the boss said on the last visit.
Weird. "Why did I go to Sacramento when the Bay Area was RIGHT THERE?!" is what my boss said on the last trip there.

Dang, this might be the most fun thread ever!

Last edited by MtnLion512; 01-17-2012 at 08:22 PM..

Old 01-17-2012, 08:19 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Quote:
For being the main city in a 500 mile region, Denver is underwhelming. Unlike SF or Seattle which are the main cities in their regions, Denver's vibe is vanilla.

Big D is Dallas, not Denver.

"Really this is Denver, I thought it was supposed to be like SF....... it's more like SACRAMENTO than I would have ever imagined". That's what the boss said on the last visit.
Denver is underwhelming? How could a person who (seemingly) hasn't the smallest clue what Denver is like, know?

If Denver is underwhelming as a city, then i guess Sac is twice as underwhelming then

Who said denver was called "Big D"? I doubt Denverites think of Denver as being like San Fransisco or Seattle. Denver is simply..Denver

Old 01-17-2012, 08:25 PM

6,885 posts, read 8,263,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I'm surprised that there is not noise in Sacramento about luring the A's into town. Or maybe there is and it just has not generated any media attention.
There always has been "talk" about the A's moving to Sacramento. I don't know how serious these talks ever were. Our AAA team is the farm team for the A's.

Having two teams of every major league sports in one region is really difficult. There are really only two regions that partially do this -- and they are enormous, NYC and LA.

It's actually sorta of strange that NOR-CAL ended up with 2 baseball, 2 basketball, and 2 footballs teams. I guess its a testament to our strong sports culture.

They always rank cities on which market is ripe for a new team. I know Sacramento was 4th on the list for baseball. [/quote]

Old 01-17-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Denver is underwhelming? How could a person who (seemingly) hasn't the smallest clue what Denver is like, know?

If Denver is underwhelming as a city, then i guess Sac is twice as underwhelming then

Who said denver was called "Big D"? I doubt Denverites think of Denver as being like San Fransisco or Seattle. Denver is simply..Denver
Thats the sad part Denver is SIMPLY Denver, no reason to ever go back.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:30 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Quote:
Thats the sad part Denver is SIMPLY Denver, no reason to ever go back.
Explain? If by simple you mean plain.

Last edited by Mezter; 01-17-2012 at 09:03 PM..

Old 01-17-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
A's are moving to San Jose almost for sure at this point. Bud Selig said he wants to get the relocation issue worked out quickly, and the A's aren't a big draw at the Oakland Coliseum lately. There's a lot of money in the South Bay/Silicon Valley--and to my knowledge Sacramento was never considered as a candidate for relocation, it's always been Fremont or San Jose that's been discussed. San Jose wants another sports team downtown and realistically can get a new ballpark built in that area...
Yep, I've heard this before. But, I think about 3/4 of the South Bay are Giants fans, so it would be weird that all the A's fans from SAC and the EAST BAY would need to go down there.

Downtown San Jose is quite charming. They have the Sharks. The Captial Corridor train I've spoken about that starts in downtown Sacramento terminates in downtown San Jose.

Number #1 on some lists for baseball is Portland. I'm sure its destiny that you get either baseball or football soon. What's stopping them?

Old 01-17-2012, 08:38 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,772,991 times
Quote:

It's actually sorta of strange that NOR-CAL ended up with 2 baseball, 2 basketball, and 2 footballs teams. I guess its a testament to our strong sports culture.

They always rank cities on which market is ripe for a new team. I know Sacramento was 4th on the list for baseball.
No, it's a testament to the BAY AREA'S strong sports culture. The running joke of the NBA Kings de-value it as a whole. Norcal will barely register a change in sports culture when the Kings go to Anaheim.

After the failure of the Kings I doubt investors will give more than a cursory glance at Sac for another pro sports team.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post

Weird. "Why did I go to Sacramento when the Bay Area was RIGHT THERE?!" is what my boss said on the last trip there.
Yep, you must have a really dumb boss. I would agree to that.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
If they go to Fremont I hope they call themselves something like the East Bay A's. Fremont A's is just stupid, I guess San Jose A's isn't that bad.
If it stays anywhere in Alameda County; it should stay the OAKLAND A'S.

If they move to San Jose, the name should change to San Jose A's.

If they move to Sacramento the name should change to Sacramento A's.

Overtime, NOR-CAL A's fans would get used to the name changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City