Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: #2 in the Midwest: Minneapolis-St. Paul or Detroit?
Minneapolis-St. Paul 158 56.83%
Detroit 89 32.01%
Other, be Specific 31 11.15%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 08:01 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,658,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pines View Post
Pretty much sums it up. Its not even a fair comparison. Detroit is number two. Followed by Cleveland not Minneapolis. After that I would put St. Louis. Then its a toss up between Minneapolis, Columbus, or Cincinnati.
This is either a joke or you don't know much about midwestern cities. St. Louis and Cleveland ahead of MSP? In what regards?? It's certainly not in population, economy, business recognition, central cities, arts and entertainment, skylines, growth or sports.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:14 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,884,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForStarters View Post
The only area where MSP recently obtained an edge over Detroit is in GDP. However, MSP's gain over Detroit will be short lived. In the past year or so, MSP inched past Detroit because America's major automakers almost collapsed into oblivion. In 2009, one of the largest industries in the world came to a grinding halt in Detroit.

Detroit's factories and and Fortune 500 companies are now humming again. Metro Detroit is an economic powerhouse that MSP cannot even hope to compare. It just so happened that America's industrial engine nearly died, but things have changed. Detroit is churning out new technology, new concepts, new jobs in skilled manufacturing, engineering, and research and development, etc.

It stuns me how many people underestimate Detroit. It's like they read something in Newsweek about abandoned buildings and such and they assume that nothing is going on over here. Let me inform you that the news reports are overly dramatic. Metro Detroit is loaded with high-tech factories and mile-upon-magnificent-mile of American industry. This is where "stuff" gets made out of raw materials.

Detroit is a titan, a giant, an economic colossus. If MSP finds itself surpassing Detroit by leaps and bounds, this entire nation better start sweating bullets. Starbucks and Walmart cannot be the backbone of America's GDP. We make things in Detroit.

Our sports teams may also clobber the **** out of you.
pretty much the reason why I voted Detroit.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:10 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,049,838 times
Quote:
Pretty much sums it up. Its not even a fair comparison. Detroit is number two. Followed by Cleveland not Minneapolis. After that I would put St. Louis. Then its a toss up between Minneapolis, Columbus, or Cincinnati.

Of the six cities you mention, DET and MSP are the only two which can reasonably be argued as being “primate" cities within their respective states. MSP is the only one of these which serves as the economic, educational, and political hub of its state.

In sports, Detroit and Minneapolis each have 4 major league franchises. St Louis and Cleveland have 3 each. Cincinnati has 2, and Columbus 1

Art, culture, and entertainment are very subjective issues, but I would argue that Minneapolis and Cleveland are the only two in this group which have a significant and highly-respected level of fine arts (orchestras, museums, theaters, etc.) ---with Detroit, Minneapolis, and Cleveland having the highest profiles in pop culture.

Ultimately, a city's position in the regional hierarchy is largely determined by economic clout—

Fortune 500 companies by metro area:

Minneapolis---18

Detroit----------16

Cincinnati-------9

Cleveland------8

St Louis--------8

Columbus-----6

GDP by metro area—in billions (percent change from 2009 to 2010):

MSP--------199.6 (3.4)

DET---------197.8 (2.8)

STL----------129.7 (1.5)

CLE----------105.6 (2.2)

CIN----------100.6 (2.1)

COL--------93.4 (2.4)

Minneapolis edges out Detroit in the number of F500 companies, GDP, and GDP % increase--but the differences are so small that things could easily swing back in a few years. Not only are these the two largest economies of the group, they area also the fastest growing. After these two, there is a large drop in metro economic output.

Clearly the battle for number 2 is between Detroit and Minneapolis--with Cleveland and St Louis in a fairly distant battle for number 4. These area all great Midwestern cities—with numerous reasons to inspire pride in their citizens. But the arranging of these cities in terms of general regional dominance is a lot easier than many want it to be.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:17 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,343,744 times
I can't argue your facts rogead. However I have always thought St Louis and Cleveland have more international identity in the world than Minneapolis has. Its also a matter of location for me. Minneapolis is also much colder and far away from anything than Cleveland or St Louis. I would also argue that most of Minneapolis's fortune five hundred companies are not home grown and therefore it is "handed" more. The other cities have to work harder for their growth and business. That's a big bonus for me. Out of all of those Cincinnati is still the hottest home grower of fortune five hundred companies. Just GE itself if it were still headquartered in Cincinnati would almost surpass all of Minnepapolis' major corporations in terms of GDP. Lastly Minneapolis does not come close in museums and art to Cleveland or Detroit. I still say Detroit is distinctly the clear number two.

Last edited by the_pines; 10-16-2011 at 11:32 AM..

Old 10-16-2011, 11:43 AM

413 posts, read 789,396 times
Nice analysis, rogead. Another major difference between the economies of the two metro areas is that Detroit's economy is deeply troubled while the Twin Cities is doing alright. I doubt that Metro Detroit's GMP will exceed the Twin Cities GMP ever again.

Overall Performance - MetroMonitor - Brookings Institution

Old 10-16-2011, 11:45 AM

14,019 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
This is either a joke or you don't know much about midwestern cities. St. Louis and Cleveland ahead of MSP? In what regards?? It's certainly not in population, economy, business recognition, central cities, arts and entertainment, skylines, growth or sports.
Cleveland trumps MSP, umm, Alphabeticly

Old 10-16-2011, 11:50 AM

Heck even the lowly Browns are more notable than any of Minneapolis's teams. Probably more than all of its teams combined. And if the Browns actually won they would be a very rich team. Minneapolis is known for its big mall and Harley Davidson. You guys have got to be kidding me?

It may be a great city or a nice place and overall clean compared to the others. It may also have more GDP and growth. But in a lot of the categories mentioned it does not stack up well against other midwest cities. The only reason New Englanders are voting Minneapolis is because of their snobby perception of Detroit and the midwest. They think because Minneapolis is liberal that it must be smarter. To bad Michigan has UM which is one of the best colleges in the world.

Detroit would throttle Minnepaolis. The lack of respect for Detroit is appalling.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:23 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,871,642 times
Quote:
I can't argue your facts rogead. However I have always thought St Louis and Cleveland have more international identity in the world than Minneapolis has. Its also a matter of location for me. Minneapolis is also much colder and far away from anything than Cleveland or St Louis. I would also argue that most of Minneapolis's fortune five hundred companies are not home grown and therefore it is "handed" more. The other cities have to work harder for their growth and business. That's a big bonus for me. Out of all of those Cincinnati is still the hottest home grower of fortune five hundred companies. Just GE itself if it were still headquartered in Cincinnati would almost surpass all of Minnepapolis' major corporations in terms of GDP. Lastly Minneapolis does not come close in museums and art to Cleveland or Detroit. I still say Detroit is distinctly the clear number two.
Put your foot in your mouth quickly, before it gets worse! You couldn't be more wrong, and it's starting to get embarrassing! Just do some research first if you have no idea what you are talking about (and you don't).

Old 10-16-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Put your foot in your mouth quickly, before it gets worse! You couldn't be more wrong, and it's starting to get embarrassing! Just do some research first if you have no idea what you are talking about (and you don't).
Don't get your panties in a bunch. Its all subjective anyways. I'm going to listen to some music maybe that will cheer me up. Maybe you can do the same?

Old 10-16-2011, 12:25 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,871,642 times
Quote:
Heck even the lowly Browns are more notable than any of Minneapolis's teams. Probably more than all of its teams combined. And if the Browns actually won they would be a very rich team. Minneapolis is known for its big mall and Harley Davidson. You guys have got to be kidding me?

It may be a great city or a nice place and overall clean compared to the others. It may also have more GDP and growth. But in a lot of the categories mentioned it does not stack up well against other midwest cities. The only reason New Englanders are voting Minneapolis is because of their snobby perception of Detroit and the midwest. They think because Minneapolis is liberal that it must be smarter. To bad Michigan has UM which is one of the best colleges in the world.

Detroit would throttle Minnepaolis. The lack of respect for Detroit is appalling.
OMG!!!

What is your deal? My 2 year old sounds smarter than you!! How old are you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City