Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which area has the most vibrant and noticeable Latin population
Chicago 28 32.18%
SF Bay 28 32.18%
DFW 31 35.63%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 12:53 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,868,556 times

Advertisements

I've never been to Chicago but I have lived in the DFW area and now I currently live in San Francisco. I'm sorry, but as a latino myself, I hate the latino population vibrancy here in San Francisco. It's simply ghetto. I've spoken to my friends here in San Francisco and they agree with me. So therefore, I voted for DFW. There are hispanic families there, who own companies, and have established themselves as a well to do hispanic community. Maybe I'm not entirely familiar with the rest of the Bay Area and admittedly I've never been to San Jose much, and most of my perceptions of the hispanic/latino community revolves around Oakland and the Mission, neither of which I find appealing as an american born mexican. There really isn't a hispanic culture in San Francisco and if the Mission seems to be a "latino" culture to most, well, more power to you but its very depressing to say the least that the only "predominant" latino neighborhood (mission) is gang-ridden. I was walking through there earlier tonight and there were mostly "white" rich hipsters walking around and the only latinos I saw were either selling those hipsters hotdogs or walking around the street insanely drunk calling each other "guey" most of the time. Truly depressing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 03:43 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
LOL you are forgetting that Georgia and some other southern states have flown 6 flags too. Texas is not unique in that aspect.

Again, same darn thing. SA under 6 flags, ATL under 6 flags
Not the same thing. GA was never it's own country like Texas was, and GA reached statehood 1788. It didn't have the same influences of different countries for the same duration Texas had prior to it's statehood(1848). Texas was still fighting for independence from Mexico when GA had been a well established Southern state. Not to mention ATL for most of it's history, was a Southern strong-hold city. For a good portion of SA's history, it was the largest Spanish settlement in Texas. ATL doesn't have the same deep-seeded Spanish/Mexican history that SA does to make an GREAT comparison between the 2. It doesn't. There isn't an equivalent term for "Georgians of Mexican descent" as there is in Texas(Tejano).

Old 11-02-2011, 09:17 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,381,706 times
Hispanic owned firms (2007) *NOTE: Survey done every 5 years.

DFW Metroplex: 71,055 (or 11.4% of all DFW Metroplex firms| total = 624,886) http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...SA01&-_lang=en

SF Bay Area: 70,317 (or 9.6% of all SF Bay firms| total= 732,262)http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet..._id=33000US488

Chicagoland: 55,318 (or 6.2% of all Chicagoland firms| total= 890,150) http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...SA01&-_lang=en

Take it for what it is.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:19 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,236,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
I've never been to Chicago but I have lived in the DFW area and now I currently live in San Francisco. I'm sorry, but as a latino myself, I hate the latino population vibrancy here in San Francisco. It's simply ghetto. I've spoken to my friends here in San Francisco and they agree with me. So therefore, I voted for DFW. There are hispanic families there, who own companies, and have established themselves as a well to do hispanic community. Maybe I'm not entirely familiar with the rest of the Bay Area and admittedly I've never been to San Jose much, and most of my perceptions of the hispanic/latino community revolves around Oakland and the Mission, neither of which I find appealing as an american born mexican. There really isn't a hispanic culture in San Francisco and if the Mission seems to be a "latino" culture to most, well, more power to you but its very depressing to say the least that the only "predominant" latino neighborhood (mission) is gang-ridden. I was walking through there earlier tonight and there were mostly "white" rich hipsters walking around and the only latinos I saw were either selling those hipsters hotdogs or walking around the street insanely drunk calling each other "guey" most of the time. Truly depressing.
1. The mission is not the only part of SF with a sizable latino population (others: the excelsior, mission terrace, cayuga terrace, crocker amazon, visitation valley, hunters point/bayview, bernal heights, portola, lakeview/ingleside/oceanview, and to a lesser extent SOMA and the Tenderloin).
2. the mission as a whole is about 60% Latino. The eastern part of the mission is heavily latino and working class, the western part is heavily white/hipster/yuppie infested (though of course there's mixing all across as well)
3. SF has more latino people than Oakland
4. SJ has more latino people than Oakland and SF combined
5. latino culture in SF is NOT centered on gang stuff, that really exposes your ignorance (there are serious gang problems in the latino community though). Most latinos in SF, whether they be immigrants or american-born, are not involved, and hate gangbangers. Why? Gangbangers make life hell for many of them: they intimidate them, rob them, extort them, tag everything up, sell drugs, pimp, shoot/stab/beat/kill people, etc. You really don't know what you're talking about.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:21 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,737,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Hispanic owned firms (2007) *NOTE: Survey done every 5 years.

DFW Metroplex: 71,055 (or 11.4% of all DFW Metroplex firms| total = 624,886) http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...SA01&-_lang=en

SF Bay Area: 70,317 (or 9.6% of all SF Bay firms| total= 732,262)http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet..._id=33000US488

Chicagoland: 55,318 (or 6.2% of all Chicagoland firms| total= 890,150) http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...SA01&-_lang=en

Take it for what it is.
Im surprised at the low number for Chicago. What gives?

Old 11-02-2011, 10:30 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,940,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Not the same thing. GA was never it's own country like Texas was, and GA reached statehood 1788. It didn't have the same influences of different countries for the same duration Texas had prior to it's statehood(1848). Texas was still fighting for independence from Mexico when GA had been a well established Southern state. Not to mention ATL for most of it's history, was a Southern strong-hold city. For a good portion of SA's history, it was the largest Spanish settlement in Texas. ATL doesn't have the same deep-seeded Spanish/Mexican history that SA does to make an GREAT comparison between the 2. It doesn't. There isn't an equivalent term for "Georgians of Mexican descent" as there is in Texas(Tejano).
You are wrong again hun.

Georgia was indeed its own Country, just like Texas and it did have a variety of cultures. Like I said it had six flags just like Texas.

Texas Flags: ........... Georgia Flags:
Texas...........................Georgia
Spain.............................Spain
France...........................France
USA...............................USA
CSA...............................CSA
Mexico............................UK

Texas history is not unique as you guys make it. Only difference is that a flood of mexicans came in since 1970.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:41 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
You are wrong again hun.

Georgia was indeed its own Country, just like Texas and it did have a variety of cultures. Like I said it had six flags just like Texas.

Texas Flags: ........... Georgia Flags:
Texas...........................Georgia
Spain.............................Spain
France...........................France
USA...............................USA
CSA...............................CSA
Mexico............................UK

Texas history is not unique as you guys make it. Only difference is that a flood of mexicans came in since 1970.
Difference is Texas has had six national flags; Georgia only has had 5. Many states use their state flags to add up to 6. Republic of Texas and the US state of Texas used the same flag, but one was an independent nation.

Last edited by blkgiraffe; 11-02-2011 at 11:49 AM..

Old 11-02-2011, 12:01 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Difference is Texas has had six national flags; Georgia only has had 5.
The difference btwn 5 and 6 is inconsequential in 2011 dontcha think?

Old 11-02-2011, 12:10 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The difference btwn 5 and 6 is inconsequential in 2011 dontcha think?
No, we're talking about nations here; not cookies. Numbers do matter in this case.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:31 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,236,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Out here, we hear more rancheras and baladas... banda, mariachi, and norteno music is extremely popular across all age groups (I recall my surprise when I moved out here and some of my younger Chicano coworkers were enthusiastically translating the insanely badass lyrics to some mariachi band... I always thought they just sang about being happy or something). It's probably regional; I think most people in CA would associate the above types of music with Latinos versus reggaeton and bachata.
It's not too popular, but people listen to reggaeton in the Bay Area (I even know of at least one reggeaton/rap group of Panamanian origin based here). Reggaeton got pretty big actually in the mid 2000s, but seems to have died down quite a bit now. I've also heard some merengue here and there, but yeah mariachi and banda and norteno type stuff is most prevalent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City