Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which area has the most vibrant and noticeable Latin population
Chicago 28 32.18%
SF Bay 28 32.18%
DFW 31 35.63%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 07:16 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,380,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Im surprised at the low number for Chicago. What gives?
Well, think about the types of firms that predominate the Chicagoland landscape, as opposed to SF Bay and DFW. Many of those firms that have been family owned, and passed down from generation to generation before the time there was a large Latino population in Chicagoland.

In addition, many of the possible 'niche' spots (in things such as construction, , etc.) that Latinos could have filled in were already filled in given that Chicagoland has been relatively populated with a demographic that did those jobs way before there was a large Latino presence, and many of those Latinos simply work for the already established firms (I don't think most people care who gives their paycheck as long as they get one).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 07:45 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Yeah, northern california Mexican culture is very different from Mexican culture elsewhere in the US. For one thing, there's a lot of cultural exchange between the black and latino community here which is largely due to the civil rights era... the black and latino communities were fighting similar issues and came together on common ground.

Getting to the rest of your post though, HP/Bayview is definitely not indicative of the "average latino neighborhood" in the Bay Area. I suspect you've never spent much time in the South Bay or the peninsula...
Interesting. Your description of Northern California Mexicans sounds very similar to Houston Mexicans. Not really a much of a division with the two groups.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:11 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Difference is Texas has had six national flags; Georgia only has had 5. Many states use their state flags to add up to 6. Republic of Texas and the US state of Texas used the same flag, but one was an independent nation.
Exactly. It's not that I'm arguing for Texas uniqueness, I'm arguing for SA's different history from the rest of the South. When was there ever a battle against the Mexican forces in ATL, for dominance of GA? Texas developed in a different way then GA.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
SF Mexican culture vs. SJ mexican culture is very different... to an extent, SJ Mexicans tend to identify more with Mexican culture whereas SF Mexicans tend to identify more with the Bay and urban culture in general. For example, (from my experience) you're more likely to hear Hip Hop at a block party in the Mission than you are to hear Norteno music whereas in SJ even the younger generation identifies heavily with old-school Mexican music. And even when they play hip hop in SJ, its more likely to be Norte rap and not the more traditionally hip-hop sounding Thizz Latin stuff that comes out of SF.
It seems most Chicanos listen to old-school black soul music. They love all those oldies.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:37 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
San Francisco.

EDIT: Nvm, read your question wrong. I don't know
I think he grew up in Houston and lived somewhere abouts in Texas. He moved to SF coupla months ago. think he went to UT

Old 11-02-2011, 09:07 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlady Z View Post
My history may be a little rusty, but I don't recall Georgia ever being a part of French territory. The French and Indian War were fought in Tennessee and Kentucky by the French but not Georgia. I used wikipedia (not exactly scholarly, I know) for a quick search out of curiosity, I couldn't find anything on it.
Alabama and Mississippi was part of french territory. Parts of Alabama and Mississippi formed from Georgia before 1802.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:20 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Alabama and Mississippi was part of french territory. Parts of Alabama and Mississippi formed from Georgia before 1802.
Parts of Florida used to be Alabama (old Georgia).

BTW Florida was also French. Lots of people don't know that these states had some french history.

People's thinking are so rigid.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:53 PM

We have to look at the overall picture. ATL didn't have the same duration of time historically as being part of France/Spain or whatever for that to be as major for the development of Atlanta, as it did for SA. SA was a frontier city, and the largest Spanish mission in Texas for a greater part of it's history. Not, necessarily a Southern strong-hold like Atlanta. That was my original point.

History of Atlanta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

History of San Antonio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-02-2011, 09:56 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Honestly, is it that hard to imagine why DFW or just about any place in Texas might be more steeped in Hispanic history and culture than Atlanta? It's not that complicated, people.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:59 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Honestly, is it that hard to imagine why DFW or just about any place in Texas might be more steeped in Hispanic history and culture than Atlanta? It's not that complicated, people.
Seriously.

Remember the Alamo, kids. Remember the Alamo.

Oh, and don't forget to pick up a burrito while you're in Lubbock
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City