Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which area has the most vibrant and noticeable Latin population
Chicago 28 32.18%
SF Bay 28 32.18%
DFW 31 35.63%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 05:48 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,868,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
What fantasy world do you live in? The stats have already been posted on this thread... Bay Area Latinos make more than their DFW/Chicago counterparts. And if you think latino culture is more integrated in Chicago than it is into the Bay Area then you haven't been to either area.
Well, they better be making more money than people in Chicago and DFW cause the Bay Area is pretty flippin expensive. I'd say anyone here makes more than Chicago and DFW depending on their respective careers or jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 05:50 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,752,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
Well, they better be making more money than people in Chicago and DFW cause the Bay Area is pretty flippin expensive. I'd say anyone here makes more than Chicago and DFW depending on their respective careers or jobs.

He's still incorrect though.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Your post is typically what I expected to read from anyone responding to my post. Not sure where you get that I said the latino culture is centered around gang stuff. (honestly, where did you get that from?) I simply said the mission (the MOST predominant latino neighborhood) is riddled with gangs and I did say that my perspective was limited to just San Francisco and Oakland. But just within Oakland and San Francisco I can very very very very easily give the nod to DFW and Chicago as having the most "vibrant" latino culture.

I live near the bayview and hunters point area. Sorry. This part is not vibrant. And any normal latino family from DFW will get the heeby-jeebies if they had to move to this part of town. This is not my opinion. I have family in Mexico... like LITERAL cousins, tios y tias y quien sabe que tanto guato, that would never even consider living in places like excelsior, visitacion valley, or the bayview. Bernal Heights might be a different story though. But even still none of these "communities" even combined would outdo the combined latino community in Dallas, not even Fort Worth!

But I mean forget all that.... I'm mexican and if even my opinion would not warrant any merit than I don't know what does. For the most part, I feel that the latinos here in San Francisco have their own "culture". It's like a San Francisco thing that no other city in America, or even California, has. I feel that people have to live in a different part of the country to see and truly understand the differences. It's not a predominant culture and most of them are getting trampled on by other communities, even hipsters. It's either that or they have to adapt to the San Francisco way, which isn't entirely bad. It's just not truly latino.

(funny thing is, people in real life never disagree with me on this subject, but for some odd reason only on city-data plenty people always have something to counter no matter what.)

Yeah, northern california Mexican culture is very different from Mexican culture elsewhere in the US. For one thing, there's a lot of cultural exchange between the black and latino community here which is largely due to the civil rights era... the black and latino communities were fighting similar issues and came together on common ground.

Getting to the rest of your post though, HP/Bayview is definitely not indicative of the "average latino neighborhood" in the Bay Area. I suspect you've never spent much time in the South Bay or the peninsula...

Old 11-02-2011, 05:57 PM

Given that his status reads, "a victory against California is a victory for America" I wouldn't take that person's posts to heart.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:02 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philynyallday View Post
LOL I didn't know Los Angeles and SF Bay were one place now....

and its easy to see who's illegal. Just look at them. They speak illegal. They have an illegal name. Easy enough

Besides, I thought SF was known for Asians....now they're known for Latinos? What's the next joke?
You asked me if I've been to California, I responded. But that's irrelevant.

That second sentence is debatably the most culturally ignorant thing I've read on here.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Yeah, northern california Mexican culture is very different from Mexican culture elsewhere in the US. For one thing, there's a lot of cultural exchange between the black and latino community here which is largely due to the civil rights era... the black and latino communities were fighting similar issues and came together on common ground.

Getting to the rest of your post though, HP/Bayview is definitely not indicative of the "average latino neighborhood" in the Bay Area. I suspect you've never spent much time in the South Bay or the peninsula...
I've been meaning to take a trip to San Jose and visit the area but even though I live walking distance from Cal-Train, I find it a little tedious to take a trip there. I'll do so sometime soon.

But, yeah, I guess I'm not delusional after all. The mexican culture here is much different. I don't think my parents would fit in (but I'm sure they'll have an open mind when they visit in December). It definitely takes some time getting used to...

I've yet to find a city that caters to my type of "mexican" personality. The only cities I've been to are El Paso, Houston and Los Angeles that cater to a young hip mexican crowd that listen to acts such as Ely Guerra, Zoe, or Cafe Tacuba. I'd have to go to mexico to find that type of crowd, or move to El Paso... yuck! But Los Angeles has been in my radar, fittingly because I'm an aspiring filmmaker. I don't intend to move from San Francisco though, I like it here.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
I've been meaning to take a trip to San Jose and visit the area but even though I live walking distance from Cal-Train, I find it a little tedious to take a trip there. I'll do so sometime soon.

But, yeah, I guess I'm not delusional after all. The mexican culture here is much different. I don't think my parents would fit in (but I'm sure they'll have an open mind when they visit in December). It definitely takes some time getting used to...

I've yet to find a city that caters to my type of "mexican" personality. The only cities I've been to are El Paso, Houston and Los Angeles that cater to a young hip mexican crowd that listen to acts such as Ely Guerra, Zoe, or Cafe Tacuba. I'd have to go to mexico to find that type of crowd, or move to El Paso... yuck! But Los Angeles has been in my radar, fittingly because I'm an aspiring filmmaker. I don't intend to move from San Francisco though, I like it here.

SF Mexican culture vs. SJ mexican culture is very different... to an extent, SJ Mexicans tend to identify more with Mexican culture whereas SF Mexicans tend to identify more with the Bay and urban culture in general. For example, (from my experience) you're more likely to hear Hip Hop at a block party in the Mission than you are to hear Norteno music whereas in SJ even the younger generation identifies heavily with old-school Mexican music. And even when they play hip hop in SJ, its more likely to be Norte rap and not the more traditionally hip-hop sounding Thizz Latin stuff that comes out of SF.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:22 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:

You'd probably like South Texas [culturally anyways]. El Paso is more Americanized than people realize.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:27 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
You'd probably like South Texas [culturally anyways]. El Paso is more Americanized than people realize.
Didn't he live in SOuth Texas?

Old 11-02-2011, 06:56 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Didn't he live in SOuth Texas?
San Francisco.

EDIT: Nvm, read your question wrong. I don't know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City