Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which area has the most vibrant and noticeable Latin population
Chicago 28 32.18%
SF Bay 28 32.18%
DFW 31 35.63%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 10:47 AM

3 posts, read 4,986 times

Advertisements

SF Bay has Latinos? Why would they go there if LA is nearer to Mexico and has more jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 10:51 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,236,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4seasonlover View Post
SF Bay has Latinos? Why would they go there if LA is nearer to Mexico and has more jobs?
You're right, Bay Area latinos are actually Mongolians in disguise.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:01 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
You're right, Bay Area latinos are actually Mongolians in disguise.
They could be mid-easterners without headscarves. Possibly Armenians.

Don't worry about that making sense; apparently its new screen-name Monday.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:00 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4seasonlover View Post
sf bay has latinos? Why would they go there if la is nearer to mexico and has more jobs?
I hate having to deal with 4 seasons!! Cities in the northeast have no vibrant latino communities!!!!

Old 11-26-2011, 12:49 AM

96 posts, read 363,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I wrote a thesis on it in college. Im going based on what I remember researching. Things may have changed since 2004 so I cant say for sure, but thats the way it was. From what I researched at the time:

Mexicans in Houston came from: Veracruz, Yucatan, Quintana Roo, Nuevo Leon, Tamaulipas, Puebla, Chihuahua, Oaxaca, and Jailisco.

Mexicans in Dallas came from: San Luis Potosi, Durango, Augascalientes, Nuevo Leon, Zacatecas, Queretaro, Toluca, and Chihuahua.

Mexicans in Chicago were largely from Guanajuato, Durango, Zacatecas, Queretaro, and Jailisco (some Nuevo Leon too).

Mexicans in Phoenix were fairly homogenous in that they came almost entirely from Sonora, Chihuahua, Michoacan, and Baja.

LA has Mexicans from just about everywhere though the greatest concentrations are from Baja.

Again, that was based off of a paper I wrote in college years ago. Things may be different now, I havent looked it up. However, the point of the paper was that there seemed to be some reigional patern. Coastal Mexicans overwhelmingly prefered Houston and Los Angeles. Interior Mexicans (including Chihuahua) prefered Dallas and Chicago. Finally, desert Mexicans prefered Phoenix and Los Angeles.
I've read a few articles, saying the big majority of Chicago residents come from the state of Michoacan, surprised Michoacan is not among the Mexican states that prefer Chicago.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:17 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,382,338 times
Instead of making a new topic, I decided to revive this one.

I find it interesting that while these three areas have nearly 2 million Latinos, which isnt too far off from SoFla's 2.4 million Latinos, these three areas definitely fly under the radar.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:40 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Instead of making a new topic, I decided to revive this one.

I find it interesting that while these three areas have nearly 2 million Latinos, which isnt too far off from SoFla's 2.4 million Latinos, these three areas definitely fly under the radar.
Not sure why, I thought the latino element was very strong in both these metros, in some cases extremely strong for long stretches in the neighborhoods.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:02 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
I think these three are kind of birds of a feather when we talk about their Latino communities.

If you think about it in tiers based on Latino community size:

You have your big three: LA, NYC, Miami

Then you have Houston which is not of the status of the above.

Then you have Chicago, DFW, and the Bay Area.

I think its pretty close. All three have huge Hispanic communities, but are not really recognized for it.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:18 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,220,319 times
Do you mean affluent or influential? Chicago's Latinos are more influential then Dallas's latinos. I think chicago wins in terms of overall importance while dallas wins in more latinos overall. Dallas's latinos are spread everywhere from the city to almost all the suburbs while chicago its mainly in the city and some inner ring suburbs. Yes there are latinos outside of those areas but not in large or materful numbers.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:15 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Yeah, these 3 do fly under the radar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City