Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 09:42 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
Atlanta?

And Charleston, Savannah, and as mentioned Richmond. Also Baltimore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 09:36 PM

96 posts, read 147,223 times
In addition to what's been suggested already (Pittsburgh, Cincy, Charleston, etc.), I'd add Buffalo.

Going through your criteria:
It has some great architecture by some great architects (Heritage Architecture of Buffalo, NY Pictures by Travel Photo Base is a small reference that I quickly Google'd but it doesn't include any of the 5 Frank Lloyd Wright houses in the city or the Central Terminal). Also, there is an extensive park system designed by Robert Moses.

The inner core is pretty dense (although nowhere near the density of the Big 4 cities you mentioned). It is at least dense enough to support light rail/subway and an extensive bus network. The whole city isn't great in terms of neighborhoods, but there are some great ones out there (Elmwood Village and Allentown come to mind).

In terms of culture, I'll start with sports. Few cities can match Buffalonians love of the Bills and Sabres (even though they always lose). In terms of museums and galleries there are enough for a city of its size and they are generally very well regarded (Albright Knox Art Gallery, Buffalo Museum of Science, Buffalo and Erie County Naval & Military Park, Teddy Roosevelt's Inaugural Site). The music scene doesn't compare to somewhere like Austin, but you can go out and hear a good band any night of the week).

I don't have too much experience with the nightlife, as when I lived in WNY, I lived far enough out that I wouldn't be venturing in to go out drinking but from what I know it isn't bad (at least for it's size). Buffalo also has a great restaurant scene -- even outside of chicken wings and beef on week.

Buffalo is a pretty great city with lots of potential and it is certainly worth a vacation (although you would probably enjoy more in the summer unless you want to go tubing on the Skyway or really enjoy skiing). Just a pretty good place to live overall. And don't get me wrong, in many ways it can't compare to the bigger cities you excluded, but I would certainly choose to live there before NYC or Boston (but that's just me of course).

Old 11-25-2011, 06:25 AM

2,545 posts, read 3,297,217 times
Thanks greg5green. Indeed I have heard that Buffalo has some great architectural heritage (though much of it neglected). Remember there was even a NYT article about it a few years back. Will try to make a stop there if I am in the area.

I see some people are throwing out St Louis... Would love to hear more about it, especially in terms of neighborhoods.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:42 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,887,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
I see some people are throwing out St Louis... Would love to hear more about it, especially in terms of neighborhoods.
Historic city thats current state was built up mostly during the city beautiful movement of the early 20th century. Boasts a wide variety of red brick architecture, four square homes, and row homes. The city suffered greatly from the manufacturing decline and suburban sprawl and is in the process of reinventing itself and its urban core. It has a lot in common with eastern cities such as Baltimore, Buffalo, and Pittsburgh.

The Central West End is the city's best urban neighborhood and is right next door to Forest Park, which is one of the country's largest (and by my estimation - most beautiful) urban parks. Downtown St. Louis is currently undergoing a revitalization where a lot of old warehouse buildings are being turned into luxury lofts centered around Washington Avenue, which is an emerging hip district. South St. Louis is full of a wide variety of urban neighborhoods with strong ethnic enclaves such as Bosnian (Bevo), Vietnamese (Tower Grove, Dutchtown), and Italian (the Hill). South city also has the beautiful victorian park, Tower Grove, and the Missouri Botantical Gardens - one of the country's best.

North St. Louis has a couple of up and coming neighborhoods but is mostly a down-on-its-luck, high crime part of town that contributes greatly to St. Louis' high crime rate. Like Baltimore, St. Louis city and county are seperate political entities which also exacerbates the high crime rate. In reality, I do not think St. Louis has more crime (or much more) than many comparable cities.

St. Louis County has a couple of urban-esque cities such as University City, Maplewood, and Clayton. Most of the rest of the county and metro are is typical suburban stuff of varying degrees of quality.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:48 AM

976 posts, read 2,242,569 times
in 1900 st. louis was the 4th largest city in america, so it is built solid and resembles a lot of its east coast counterparts.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:32 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,297,217 times
Thanks guys for your replies.... Yeah I see a lot of beautiful, well preserved turn-of-the-century architecture and treelined streets, particularly on the south side. Good stuff. Will put St Louis on my "list"

Old 11-28-2011, 03:11 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times
I think Charlotte is rather neat as well as Norfolk, Richmond, Nashville, and Memphis. I know these first hand. I've heard alot about Indianapolis, Columbus, Cincinnati, and Baltimore. Some others yo consider Bridgeport, Buffalo, Providence, and Manchester.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:54 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,028,212 times
St. Louis is a pretty solid choice. The crime is horrendous, though, so keep that in mind.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:33 PM

976 posts, read 2,242,569 times
the crime in st. louis is way overblown. most neighborhoods are as safe as any major city.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:26 PM

469 posts, read 970,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I think Charlotte is rather neat as well as Norfolk, Richmond, Nashville, and Memphis. I know these first hand. I've heard alot about Indianapolis, Columbus, Cincinnati, and Baltimore. Some others yo consider Bridgeport, Buffalo, Providence, and Manchester.
Good list. I've lived or worked regularly in the last four of those five and see the positive movement you see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City