Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 12:29 PM

5 posts, read 34,746 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have been living in Boise for a little while and asbolutely LOVE almost everything about Boise, except for the climate - and thats huge for me. I have to live in a place that snows a decent amount.

Can anybody give me a recommendation as to what cities (anywhere in the US or southern Canada) might be really similar to Boise in size, safety, proximity to outdoor activities, vibrant downtown, etc? I would love a good road-trip excuse

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 01:38 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,801,634 times
Spokane, WA - close is size, nearby recreation to Northern Idaho lakes and mountains

Salt Lake City - though a bit bigger there are many striking similaraties, mountain setting and recreational possibilities.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:07 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,514,275 times
Calgary, Alberta is bigger, but it somewhat similar in terms of setting to Boise. And there's more snow.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:17 PM

504 posts, read 1,270,296 times
Anchorage, AK
Calgary, AB

Billings, Spokane, and Salt Lake City are slightly better than Boise (not snowy enough for me though).

Old 12-10-2011, 03:41 AM

1,153 posts, read 4,557,468 times
Calgary doesn't actually get much snow; SLC and Denver get more if I remember right. Calgary's just brutally cold.

If you are willing to live in a smaller (but still with most amenities) city, then Bozeman Montana could be a good fit. Averages nearly 100" of snowfall per year and is located in a particularly stunning mountain valley.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
Calgary doesn't actually get much snow; SLC and Denver get more if I remember right. Calgary's just brutally cold.

If you are willing to live in a smaller (but still with most amenities) city, then Bozeman Montana could be a good fit. Averages nearly 100" of snowfall per year and is located in a particularly stunning mountain valley.
Calgary is neither especially snowy nor especially cold, but it is vastly better than Boise and the location near the Canadian Rockies is incredible.

Compared to Denver and SLC, Calgary still has significantly more snowy days. Snow depth figures are mediocre, however, perhaps because of chinooks.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:18 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_chalk View Post
Calgary is neither especially snowy nor especially cold, but it is vastly better than Boise and the location near the Canadian Rockies is incredible.

Compared to Denver and SLC, Calgary still has significantly more snowy days. Snow depth figures are mediocre, however, perhaps because of chinooks.

Thats funny. Your perspective may be skewed a bit.

Whats funny is the original poster said he has to have snow, but cant do the climate anymore. What does that mean. What about the climate is it you dont like?

Old 12-10-2011, 10:42 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,694,910 times
No one has mentioned Colorado Springs yet?

Old 12-10-2011, 11:34 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,996,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
No one has mentioned Colorado Springs yet?
I was about to, but you beat me to it.

To the OP, Colorado Springs is a small metro about the same size as Boise. It's only an hour south of Denver, so if you are interested in big city attractions, you've got them. You'll be close to NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, world class performing arts, shopping, etc.

Colorado Springs is a pretty good draw in its own right. Downtown is nice, several small mom/pop shops and restaurants. Just west of downtown is Old Colorado City, and just west of that is Manitou Springs. These are two great areas to get out and walk around on a nice day.

In the SW part of the city you have Helen Hunt falls, a great day-hike that is just a 15 minute drive from downtown. If outdoors activities are your thing, you also have Garden of the Gods, also in the city limits.

It is also a pretty safe city.

What other categories are important to you, OP?

Old 12-10-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Thats funny. Your perspective may be skewed a bit.
Possibly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Whats funny is the original poster said he has to have snow, but cant do the climate anymore. What does that mean. What about the climate is it you dont like?
I don't think it was unclear at all: "I have been living in Boise for a little while and asbolutely LOVE almost everything about Boise, except for the climate - and thats huge for me. I have to live in a place that snows a decent amount."

Boise doesn't get much snow. If the OP likes snow, Boise's climate is probably not very attractive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City