Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2012, 09:08 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
That is where the problem lies. The whole premise was Malls take retail away from the street. Most of you tried to say its ok to have malls in downtown referencing malls that exist in some downtowns like Chicago and Seattle. I said having malls takes a significant chunk of the retail demand in a downtown away from occupying possible first floor retail space. That was the debate. Now when we get technical, you guys act like you forgot what we were talking about.
Dude, you straight up lambasted the South and Southerners with a highly offensive and inaccurate statement. Don't get mad because I'm not letting you get away with it. Call it getting "technical" or whatever, the fact is that you made an extremely unwarranted statement about Southerners wanting no street-level retail and surface parking in the urban core based on johnatl's statement that urban malls can and do work. That was a HUGE, unreasonable, and irrational stretch.

Quote:
As for a source for people in Atlanta, I'm not talking about some writer at the newspaper. I'm talking about personal experiences from people in the industry dealing with residents.
In other words, you don't have an objective and verifiable source, but only anecdotes. Yeeeaaaahhhhh...

Quote:
With your apparent unawareness of the problems with urban issues like rapid mass transit in the south for instance, I would think you don't live there. Everyone on city-data.com from Atlanta should know the difficulty in getting urban infrastructure built in that republican stronghold. You all are not the problem, they are. Atlanta loves funding roads. It is what it is. Let's just hope the tax passes this year. And most of that is going to roads as well. Just think how many subway lines could have been built if you guys had not expanded your highways. What a waste!
Once again, you're talking out of the side of your neck. And Atlanta is not a "Republican stronghold;" however, the state of Georgia is and the legislators from the more rural areas who wield much of the power are the problem. This is why MARTA is the only major transit system in the country that doesn't receive state funding. And it is the Legislature who funds GADOT who builds roads; that's not Atlanta.

I really do get tired of schooling you in just about every post, I really do. The fact that you don't even have a grasp on the basics of the issue is more than enough to deal with in itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 09:15 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
This is nothing more than your usual gibberish when you have been proven wrong, badly. Your attempt to twist this into something it's not and never has been is beyond telling. Again, are ever wrong about anything, ever?

If you read back a few posts, I said my friends advised to me to ignore you. They said you were the one that was clueless, and stuck in the rigid world of D.C. planners. How you twist that into my friends agreeing with you is borderline insane, in my opinion.

As far as you considering yourself an expert, thanks for the laugh of the year.
Honestly I'm not surprised that you feel Atlanta is urban. I have friends that think Raleigh and Charlotte are urban too. People in the south have a lot of pride and I think it's a good thing. Be proud of where you come from. This thread has ran its course so I'm just going to end it here. Have a wonderful weekend.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:19 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
Honestly I'm not surprised that you feel Atlanta is urban. I have friends that think Raleigh and Charlotte are urban too. People in the south have a lot of pride and I think it's a good thing. Be proud of where you come from. This thread has ran its course so I'm just going to end it here. Have a wonderful weekend.
You have a very short memory, as I have told you countless times I am not from the South. I live here by CHOICE.

You really, really need to get a grip. You attempt to twist my words to fit your agenda have again failed miserably.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:26 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Dude, you straight up lambasted the South and Southerners with a highly offensive and inaccurate statement. Don't get mad because I'm not letting you get away with it. Call it getting "technical" or whatever, the fact is that you made an extremely unwarranted statement about Southerners wanting no street-level retail and surface parking in the urban core based on johnatl's statement that urban malls can and do work. That was a HUGE, unreasonable, and irrational stretch.

In other words, you don't have an objective and verifiable source, but only anecdotes. Yeeeaaaahhhhh...

Once again, you're talking out of the side of your neck. And Atlanta is not a "Republican stronghold;" however, the state of Georgia is and the legislators from the more rural areas who wield much of the power are the problem. This is why MARTA is the only major transit system in the country that doesn't receive state funding. And it is the Legislature who funds GADOT who builds roads; that's not Atlanta.

I really do get tired of schooling you in just about every post, I really do. The fact that you don't even have a grasp on the basics of the issue is more than enough to deal with in itself.
Any city can block the construction of roads if they want to. You know that! People in Atlanta were not against the construction of the highway through Atlanta because if they were, it would not have been built. Are you really trying to act like people in the south don't like their cars and roads? Marta's funding woes have nothing to do with your region voting down transit. Do you see counties in the north afraid of rapid transit? This is ridicoulous. What are you talking about? Look at your ridership. Are you actually from the south? You aren't saying any of the things many southerns say. "I prefer the comfort of my car". "we need more roads"etc. etc.

Look, whatever man, you love Atlanta. It's cool, hopefully people with your attitude can get people out of their cars down there and onto bikes and trains. Hopefully people like you can get people out of their single family homes and into dense buildings in the core and the suburbs. I think what you guys want is a good thing. Either way, this thread has ran its course so have a good one.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:51 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Any city can block the construction of roads if they want to. You know that! People in Atlanta were not against the construction of the highway through Atlanta because if they were, it would not have been built. Are you really trying to act like people in the south don't like their cars and roads? Marta's funding woes have nothing to do with your region voting down transit. Do you see counties in the north afraid of rapid transit? This is ridicoulous. What are you talking about? Look at your ridership. Are you actually from the south? You aren't saying any of the things many southerns say. "I prefer the comfort of my car". "we need more roads"etc. etc.
I'd advise you really think about the stuff you're typing and then on top of that, read it out loud to yourself before you click the "submit reply" button. You think it would actually be good policy for Atlanta to not expand the road network in light of the fact that the state doesn't fund mass transit? That is THE most ridiculous thing I have EVER heard. By blocking the construction of new roads and new lanes, you actually think that would result in the state of Georgia changing its mind about funding MARTA? You don't need to question my Southernness (and I'm a native), because it's quite clear that you don't have the slightest clue as to how political issues like this play out in certain areas of the South. I mean I am literally laughing out loud at you right now dude!

And guess what? I can prefer the comfort of my car and want new roads (Atlanta's secondary road network is actually inadequate) while at the same time advocate for mass transit--and I'm still a Southerner. Why is it so hard for you to comprehend the fact that they are not mutually exclusive and why do you have this pressing need to pigeonhole and stereotype us? If I liked classical music and "Seinfeld," would you also be questioning my Blackness? SMH......

Quote:
Hopefully people like you can get people out of their single family homes and into dense buildings in the core and the suburbs.
I have no desire to do that. People who want their single-family homes in the suburbs are entitled to that and they don't need someone imposing their preferences on them; that's unAmerican. However, I believe that more choices for urban living should exist and that policies that subsidize suburban infrastructure development, many times to the detriment of urban infrastructure development, need to be revisited in the worst way.

I can see that you are young and extremely naive, so I really don't even know why I bother. But time is a good teacher and I hope you learn valuable lessons in the years to come.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:15 AM

657 posts, read 1,504,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
This is nothing more than your usual gibberish when you have been proven wrong, badly. Your attempt to twist this into something it's not and never has been is beyond telling. Again, are ever wrong about anything, ever?

If you read back a few posts, I said my friends advised to me to ignore you. They said you were the one that was clueless, and stuck in the rigid world of D.C. planners. How you twist that into my friends agreeing with you is borderline insane, in my opinion.

As far as you considering yourself an expert, thanks for the laugh of the year.
You actually ask people outside of this forum, professionals no less, on how to respond to all the attacks on Atlanta?

Old 04-06-2012, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post
You actually ask people outside of this forum, professionals no less, on how to respond to all the attacks on Atlanta?
Read the thread before you interject such ridiculous crap - as ususal.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:04 AM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
[quote=Fitzrovian;23740744]removedquote] if Atlanta was so bad, why did its metro gain more than Boston and Philly Combined?

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 04-06-2012 at 08:13 PM..

Old 04-06-2012, 10:09 AM

886 posts, read 1,564,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
if Atlanta was so bad, why did its metro gain more than Boston and Philly Combined?
Because its the cheapest big city in the entire country and it's surrounded by the deep south. Just look at their airport, it's only as busy as it is because everybody and their moms from places like Chattanooga and Birmingham go there to fly. Only Detroit is cheaper than Atlanta for big cities

Old 04-06-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
Because its the cheapest big city in the entire country and it's surrounded by the deep south. Just look at their airport, it's only as busy as it is because everybody and their moms from places like Chattanooga and Birmingham go there to fly. Only Detroit is cheaper than Atlanta for big cities
You forgot to mention the town you actually live in, Columbia, SC.

Your latest charade as a New York poser has about run it's course.........yet again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City