Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2012, 06:30 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,370,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
Manhattan is a city not a "downtown." Downtown refers to all the neighborhoods on the lower part of the island, uptown is all the upper parts of the island. A lot of new cities like to make up random terms like downtown, midtown, and uptown for new neighborhoods (see Houston, Dallas, Atlanta) but these names mean absolutely nothing in those cities.
You are totally wrong regarding Atlanta.

First, this isn't a "new" city by any stretch of the imagination. Second, the Midtown moniker isn't some dreamed up marketing ploy. Midtown has been around for decades, and is currently in the process of maturing into one of the better urban areas in the country. Try again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 07:15 PM

640 posts, read 1,226,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
You are totally wrong regarding Atlanta.

First, this isn't a "new" city by any stretch of the imagination. Second, the Midtown moniker isn't some dreamed up marketing ploy. Midtown has been around for decades, and is currently in the process of maturing into one of the better urban areas in the country. Try again.
Perhaps, you could tell me how many decades and why it is actually called Midtown. Then, I might believe you.

Also, Atlanta is DEFINITELY a new city.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:18 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,765,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Ah, yes. Your standard "talk down to ANYONE that dares to disagree with me" pablum.

Kid, I've seen more Downtowns around the world than you could ever imagine. Get out of the damn DMV and broaden your horizons. The textbooks aren't always the end-all, be-all you insular types like to pretend they are. It's a great big world - get out in it.
And yet, you didn't disagree with me either. You know very well having retail throughout downtown on as many buildings as possible is the goal for all downtowns across the country. You are so caught up in this whole mall thing you completely missed the whole point. Stop talking about the mall and look at the big picture. You need to look at downtown in a city as a whole. Stop thinking piecemeal.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:04 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
And yet, you didn't disagree with me either. You know very well having retail throughout downtown on as many buildings as possible is the goal for all downtowns across the country. You are so caught up in this whole mall thing you completely missed the whole point. Stop talking about the mall and look at the big picture. You need to look at downtown in a city as a whole. Stop thinking piecemeal.
Hows this List I still think the DC area is underrepersented
1) DC
2) Arlington VA
3) Roslynn, VA
4) New York
5) Silver Springs, MD
6) Chicago
7) Tysons Corner, MD
8) San Francisco
9) Philly
10) Baltimore

Old 04-03-2012, 08:43 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,765,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Hows this List I still think the DC area is underrepersented
1) DC
2) Arlington VA
3) Roslynn, VA
4) New York
5) Silver Springs, MD
6) Chicago
7) Tysons Corner, MD
8) San Francisco
9) Philly
10) Baltimore
I don't know. I have never ranked cities on any thread since joining this site. I think it's useless. I only talk about development. Everything else is subjective and opinions are worthless in the grand scheme of things. If its not from a credible ranking firm with established methodology, it's irrelevant which pretty much represents the entire board including my opinion. That is why I never give my opinion on ranking of cities. I just talk about things that can be proven and researched.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:50 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,004,545 times
Quote:
Perhaps, you could tell me how many decades and why it is actually called Midtown. Then, I might believe you.
Oh, only 13 decades. The Midtown neighborhood of Atlanta was developed starting in the 1880s and has existed as such since.

Midtown Local Historic District

Quote:
Also, Atlanta is DEFINITELY a new city.
In comparison to most cities in the East, where the average age of notable cities is 400 year, Atlanta is new. However, it was incorporated in 1837 (the same year as Chicago) and is definitely not a young city. The way the "new" moniker is thrown around, it's as if Atlanta just became a city in the 20th century. Do they not pass out history books anymore in school?

Old 04-04-2012, 07:55 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,882,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
It seems as if State Street shopping caters to the 9-5 crowd, the same way retail around Wall Street does. The few times I have been in Macy's on State it was dead on the weekends.

Also, River North / Mag Mile isn't "downtown".
"Downtown" = where the city comes together.....to most people in this country. River North and the Mag Mile is "downtown" Chicago to just about everyone I know. Not everyone is from Manhattan, which was my point in my post earlier, and what you seem to not grasp.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:59 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,882,194 times
Quote:
Manhattan is a city not a "downtown." Downtown refers to all the neighborhoods on the lower part of the island, uptown is all the upper parts of the island. A lot of new cities like to make up random terms like downtown, midtown, and uptown for new neighborhoods (see Houston, Dallas, Atlanta) but these names mean absolutely nothing in those cities.

Also, New Orleans is another city that has different uses for the term. In NOLA, the Central Business District is in fact uptown (along with everything upriver from Canal Street), while the French Quarter and all the neighborhoods below it are downtown. For instance, if I'm heading "downtown" I would be going to the French Quarter or the Marigny or Bywater. As in NYC, heading downtown can mean an assortment of things.
That's just not how the word is used in this country, sorry. I know it's hard to grasp if you're from NYC or a city with an "Uptown" with skyscrapers, but you'll have to learn how to see things as others do. MOST cities in this country regard the CBD and/or places with high concentrations of offices/retail/museums, etc. in the central city as "downtown", regardless of whether it's literally "down" from another point of the city.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:23 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,004,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
"Downtown" = where the city comes together.....to most people in this country.
I think at least in any metro above 1 million people (this includes Chicago and New York) that is no longer true, and there are multiple nodes of activity. Sure there is a "center" to each metropolis, but gone are the days when that center was the end all be all definition of a city.

With that said your point does have merit but when it comes to Manhattan, however New Yorkers don't see it as Downtown. They see Wall Street/the Financial District as Downtown. Depending on who you talk to Chinatown, Little Italy and SoHo could be added to that too (plus whatever else I missed that is south of Houston Street). Midtown Manhattan would never ever be referred to as Downtown, nor would Uptown Manhattan which is almost entirely residential and always has been. In New York, "going Downtown" literally means going down to the end of the island.

The same also applies to people who live in the rest of the city (contrary to the above Manhattan isn't a city, it's a part of a whole that includes Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, and Staten Island). No matter where you are in New York City, Downtown just applies to what is south of Houston Street. At least to natives anyway.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:24 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,209,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I think at least in any metro above 1 million people (this includes Chicago and New York) that is no longer true, and there are multiple nodes of activity. Sure there is a "center" to each metropolis, but gone are the days when that center was the end all be all definition of a city.

With that said your point does have merit but when it comes to Manhattan, however New Yorkers don't see it as Downtown. They see Wall Street/the Financial District as Downtown. Depending on who you talk to Chinatown, Little Italy and SoHo could be added to that too (plus whatever else I missed that is south of Houston Street). Midtown Manhattan would never ever be referred to as Downtown, nor would Uptown Manhattan which is almost entirely residential and always has been. In New York, "going Downtown" literally means going down to the end of the island.

The same also applies to people who live in the rest of the city (contrary to the above Manhattan isn't a city, it's a part of a whole that includes Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, and Staten Island). No matter where you are in New York City, Downtown just applies to what is south of Houston Street. At least to natives anyway.
Metro Chicago area is very hub-and-spoke though, moreso than almost anywhere else I've been in the country. The "downtown" which runs from around Oak Street to Roosevelt and on over from the lake around 3/4-1 mile is certainly the hub of the metro area. There aren't many other nodes in the city that compare to downtown like Midtown or Bucktown might compare to downtown Atlanta. Employment, tourist attractions, rail lines, interstates - most everything leads towards downtown within the metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City