Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2012, 03:50 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times

Advertisements

Ground broken for new Mormon temples in Philadelphia and Peru | Deseret News

News Releases on Philadelphia Mormon Temple | Philadelphia Mormon Temple
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 06:20 AM

1,581 posts, read 2,826,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown lover View Post
Those cities should take lessons from Salt Lake City on how to fully bring downtown to its original luster by the Mormon Church, which strong arm the retail trade people to locate all the mall/street shopping downtown core. As for as Philly, DC, Miami and even Seattle are concerned, they still have a major portion of shopping done in suburban malls. SF kind of having a real downtown with great shopping district, but half of the downtown area is still rundown! Chicago still has a moribund shopping downtown in the loop, but most of the good high end shoppings are in Gold Coast/Mag. Mile and suburban malls. Therefore, they never recovered from their downtowns decline. Take cues from Salt Lake City!
? by building a 700,000 square ft suburban shopping center downtown. Downtown. Seattle malls are four and five floors. And one of Seattle department stores are over half the the size of the whole mall. The Nordstrom Downtown is 400,000 Square ft in Seattle. The stores Downtown Seattle are the largest in the state and some the largest in the U.S. City Creek Center is a nice neighborhood mall its not even a regional mall in scope and size. Its great Salt Lake City got some new retail and it looks realy nice but its more of a suburban mall in style . If you want an example of what I would consider an urban city mall check out Pacific Place in Downtown a five floor mall its about the same size as City Creek or check out Westlake Center another four floor mall in downtown Seattle.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:12 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,765,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
? by building a 700,000 square ft suburban shopping center downtown. Downtown. Seattle malls are four and five floors. And one of Seattle department stores are over half the the size of the whole mall. The Nordstrom Downtown is 400,000 Square ft in Seattle. The stores Downtown Seattle are the largest in the state and some the largest in the U.S. City Creek Center is a nice neighborhood mall its not even a regional mall in scope and size. Its great Salt Lake City got some new retail and it looks realy nice but its more of a suburban mall in style . If you want an example of what I would consider an urban city mall check out Pacific Place in Downtown a five floor mall its about the same size as City Creek or check out Westlake Center another four floor mall in downtown Seattle.
"urban" and "mall" is an oxymoron. If your downtown, stores should line the first floor of buildings, they should not be inside a mall. D.C. only has a Macy's downtown as for big box stores. The streets are getting many of the first floor retail the city used to have. When City Center is done, that will add another double digit number of stores. The difference is they will be stores that line the streets and not enclosed in a mall.

Currently downtown DC has:

Betsy Fisher
Brooks Brothers
Burberry
Christopher Kim's Men's Wear
City Sports
The Custom Shop Clothiers
Dressbarn
Dressbarn Woman
Everard's Clothing
Gap
J. Press
Jos. A. Bank
Kid's Closet
Men's Wearhouse
Professional Man
Proper Topper
Rizik's
Rochester Big & Tall
Scogna Formal Wear
Thomas Pink
Unique Boutique
Unique Boutique
Victoria's Secret
Xclusives Boutique and Jewelry
Boone & Sons
Chris Kourkoulakos Jewelers
City Watchmaker
Compton Jewelers
Diener Jewelers
DRZ Jewelry - Watches
I Gorman Jewelers
International Jewelers
Mervis Diamond Importers
Tiny Jewel Box
Allen Edmonds
Johnston & Murphy
Nine West
Shoes by Lara
Radio Shack
AT&T
Verizon Wireless
Sprint Nextel
T-Mobile
American Apparel
Andrew's Ties
Ann Taylor
Ann Taylor Loft
Anthropologie
Appalachian Spring
Banana Republic
Capitol Hemp
Coup de Foudre
Downtown Holiday Market
Dress Barn
Forever 21
Guess
H&M
Ida's Idea
Jos. A. Bank
Lou Lou Boutique
Macy's
Nine West
Peruvian Connection
Pua Naturally
Souvenir City
The Union Shop
Urban Outfitters
Wm. Fox & Co.
Zara
Express
New York New York
Chico's
Lucy

Just to name a few..........and this is without City Center which will add 30+ more stores that will all be high end.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:30 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Yahoo! Local Beta News - Philadelphia residents get a taste of nature in the city

Old 03-31-2012, 12:35 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,765,512 times
D.C. is planning to build a recreational park spanning the old 11th street bridge at connected to the new southern part of downtown. It is not being used anymore. The motivation comes from success stories around the country like High Line in New York etc. etc. The bridge may also include it's own streetcar stop.

This is the proposal the Mayor is pushing right now.
http://planning.dc.gov/DC/Planning/P...est.pdf#page=5

Old 03-31-2012, 01:57 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,368,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
"urban" and "mall" is an oxymoron. If your downtown, stores should line the first floor of buildings, they should not be inside a mall. D.C. only has a Macy's downtown as for big box stores. The streets are getting many of the first floor retail the city used to have. When City Center is done, that will add another double digit number of stores. The difference is they will be stores that line the streets and not enclosed in a mall.
Not true, at all. Seattle's Downtown malls couldn't be more urban if they tried, Pacific Place in particular:
pacific place seattle - Google Search.

It's flanked by the flagship HQ's of Nordstrom on one side, Westlake Center on the other and bookended by the Pacific Nortwest's flagship Macy's (the former Bon Marche). Seattle's Downtown retail offerings at this time are greater than D.C.'s have ever been - including when Woodie's & Hecht's were still around.

You really should not assume things until you expand your horizons a bit more outside of the DMV.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:41 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Not true, at all. Seattle's Downtown malls couldn't be more urban if they tried, Pacific Place in particular:
pacific place seattle - Google Search.

It's flanked by the flagship HQ's of Nordstrom on one side, Westlake Center on the other and bookended by the Pacific Nortwest's flagship Macy's (the former Bon Marche). Seattle's Downtown retail offerings at this time are greater than D.C.'s have ever been - including when Woodie's & Hecht's were still around.

You really should not assume things until you expand your horizons a bit more outside of the DMV.
I'm thinking he was referring to enclosed malls in general and he does have a point there; they were designed to be the exact opposite of good urban design. I've never been to Seattle and so I'm not familiar with Pacific Place, but from looking at the pictures, it appears to do the best job possible with the anchor stores having been designed according to classic urban principles. However, it's not ideal from a purely urban standpoint as it still has stores bottled up inside the enclosed structure. But it's probably as good as you're going to get in the current era we live in.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:05 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,368,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm thinking he was referring to enclosed malls in general and he does have a point there; they were designed to be the exact opposite of good urban design. I've never been to Seattle and so I'm not familiar with Pacific Place, but from looking at the pictures, it appears to do the best job possible with the anchor stores having been designed according to classic urban principles. However, it's not ideal from a purely urban standpoint as it still has stores bottled up inside the enclosed structure. But it's probably as good as you're going to get in the current era we live in.
The thing is, PP maximizes the block by having so much inside & outside. There are movie theatres, destination restaurants & retail and it's all on top of the main LRT/Bus tunnel station. They have done a fantastic job out there of jamming in as much retail into the core as possible on all surrounding blocks, including some fantastic adaptive reuse of some beautiful old builings. I honestly place Seattle as a top 5 Downtown in the U.S., especially when it comes to retail.

I also don't have a problem with the mixed-use highrise malls on Michigan Ave. They increase the retail square footage to levels not possible with only street-facing retail.

But hey, diffferent strokes, right?

Old 03-31-2012, 03:13 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
The thing is, PP maximizes the block by having so much inside & outside. There are movie theatres, destination restaurants & retail and it's all on top of the main LRT/Bus tunnel station. They have done a fantastic job out there of jamming in as much retail into the core as possible on all surrounding blocks, including some fantastic adaptive reuse of some beautiful old builings. I honestly place Seattle as a top 5 Downtown in the U.S., especially when it comes to retail.

I also don't have a problem with the mixed-use highrise malls on Michigan Ave. They increase the retail square footage to levels not possible with only street-facing retail.

But hey, diffferent strokes, right?
I get what you're saying. I'd probably have to experience it for myself to make an accurate judgment, but it sounds awesome. I suppose as long as the enclosed shopping doesn't detract from the street-level retail then it's alright.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:45 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,701,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
D.C. is planning to build a recreational park spanning the old 11th street bridge at connected to the new southern part of downtown. It is not being used anymore. The motivation comes from success stories around the country like High Line in New York etc. etc. The bridge may also include it's own streetcar stop.

This is the proposal the Mayor is pushing right now.
http://planning.dc.gov/DC/Planning/P...est.pdf#page=5
New York got the idea for the High Line from Paris. The Promenade.

Paris' Elevated Park Predates NYC's High Line by Nearly 20 Years (and It's Prettier, Too) : TreeHugger

Success stories around the country? New York is the only one with a High Line park currently in the US.

Philadelphia also has plans for a highline park along the old Reading Viaduct.

Reading Viaduct Project Gets More National Press, Design Study Now Underway To Transform Old Elevated Rail Line Into A Park In The Sky | Uwishunu - Philadelphia Blog About Things to Do, Events, Restaurants, Food, Nightlife and More

Viaduct Phase I: Design Visions For The SEPTA Spur | Hidden City Philadelphia

Reading Viaduct Park Promo - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City