Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better for a graduate student?
Seattle 30 40.54%
Minneapolis 24 32.43%
Pittsburgh 20 27.03%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 07:31 PM

274 posts, read 705,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chupakabrik View Post
Can someone please tell me more about density and public transportation in Minneapolis? One of the reasons why I dislike Orlando so much is the lack of both. Is Minneapolis spread out because of there are so many parks? I have a fairly good idea about Seattle, but have a hard time picturing the other. How is public transit in the winter?

Now, I have lived the last 8 years in Orlando, but I was born and raised in Russia, so I am hoping if we move there after the first year my winter survival genes will kick in BF is from Chicago, not too concerned about him either. I am more concerned about my dog (terrier mix with absolutely no undercoat), digging out my car after a snow blizzard and/or taking public transportation to school/work. We will probably share a car when we move.
The core of Seattle is significantly denser than Minneapolis with the densest tract running in excess 50,000 ppsm. Nothing in Minneapolis reaches 30,000 ppsm. The difference is particularly noticeable in that Seattle has much more mid-rise density than the core of Minneapolis. That being said, public transportation options are similar with both cities undergoing light rail expansion. The one caveat being that if it snows in Seattle, rail service will continue to run on a somewhat normal schedule (the rail switches are heated) while bus service will be erratic at best, especially if snow accumulates in Seattle itself (rare).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 07:33 PM

799 posts, read 1,289,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chupakabrik View Post
Can someone please tell me more about density and public transportation in Minneapolis? One of the reasons why I dislike Orlando so much is the lack of both. Is Minneapolis spread out because of there are so many parks? I have a fairly good idea about Seattle, but have a hard time picturing the other. How is public transit in the winter?
When I lived in Minneapolis (near the university), I found the public transportation to be very good. But it wasn't as good as Seattle's. Actually, what I love best about Seattle is the inter-regional transit. Romantic weekend in Victoria? No car needed.

Snow. Cold. Wind. That would challenge any public transit system. It's doable in Minneapolis, but I wouldn't recommend it. IMO, picking Minneapolis over Seattle is crazy.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:38 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,808,696 times
As a whole Minneapolis is slightly less dense than Seattle. Their downtown is denser but the neighborhoods are about the same. In many of the inner neighborhoods in Minneapolis it is possible to live without a car relatively easily. Many people do, myself included. A lot of people bike for transportation, there are a lot of bike trails within the city and they are useful for getting to places that people want to go, they aren't just for recreation. If you live in the inner neighborhoods (about 50% of the city) the bus system is excellent for getting to other parts of Minneapolis and St Paul. If you live in the suburbs or work in the suburbs you are kind of screwed (unless you work at the Mall of America).

Seattle also has a good bus system. In general Seattle and Minneapolis are not that different in terms of urban fabric.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:53 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,093,815 times
There are "heat lamps" at most major bus stops in the Twin Cities-- the ones enclosed on three or four sides with glass. That helps distract you from freezing your butt off

There is light-rail running from the MOA to Target Field, and another line under construction running from DT MPLS to DT St. Paul. I imagine it would be complete by the time your graduate program is over (it's scheduled to be operational in 2014), and regional rail up to Big Lake, BRT from the south Suburbs into the city, and park-and-rides from transit stations further out in the burbs into town. I imagine that's sort of a moot point for you, since you'll probably be living in the city. You're greatest asset might be the U's busway-- my sister rode from Golden Valley to the U of M campus with her U Pass on a daily occasion (about ten miles).

Again, I can't say much for Seattle. I've always assumed they have pretty good public transit. I think my argument remains that if weather is a factor, pick Seattle. If cost of living is a factor, Minneapolis.

Oh, and Minneapolis isn't considered particularly dense....but denser in terms of persons per square mile than Orlando (7,000 vs. 2,400).

Old 01-30-2012, 08:20 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,871,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
As a whole Minneapolis is slightly less dense than Seattle. Their downtown is denser but the neighborhoods are about the same. In many of the inner neighborhoods in Minneapolis it is possible to live without a car relatively easily. Many people do, myself included. A lot of people bike for transportation, there are a lot of bike trails within the city and they are useful for getting to places that people want to go, they aren't just for recreation. If you live in the inner neighborhoods (about 50% of the city) the bus system is excellent for getting to other parts of Minneapolis and St Paul. If you live in the suburbs or work in the suburbs you are kind of screwed (unless you work at the Mall of America).

Seattle also has a good bus system. In general Seattle and Minneapolis are not that different in terms of urban fabric.
I agree, yet Seattlites will pump up their one or 2 super dense neighborhoods and use that as some measure as to why Seattle is "far more dense", when it's really about as dense as Minneapolis. Typical Seattle over-hype, which is par for the course when you ask a Seattlite a question about Seattle vs......anywhere.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:23 PM

Oh.....if you are used to swimming outside, don't live in Seattle.....it rarely gets above 80 degrees. I know I can't swim outside comfortably unless it's at least 85 degrees. Being from Orlando, I'd assume you expect heat in the summer, and Seattle is too mild for water recreation IMO. There are 3 full months of 80+ weather in Minneapolis and Pittsburgh, and plenty of partial months as well. So while you don't get the snow you would in Minneapolis or Pittsburgh in Seattle, Seattle rarely gets hot enough to sweat, and the cost of living there is 2-3 times Minneapolis or Pittsburgh.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
I can only speak for Seattle. Things that mesh with Seattle: you have a dog (very dog friendly, lots parks/play areas/services), liberal, interracial, love outdoors, love city amenities. We have a lot of Russians here, including Russian bakeries!

Argue for somewhere other than Seattle: cost of living (it's expensive here), jobs (no amusement parks, though we have customer service positions), weather (grey/depressing/rainy much of the year), public transportation (just the bus service, which can be unreliable & has a sketchy clientele at times).
This post is one of the BEST posts I've seen on this forum....EVER! You tie in what you know about Seattle (both good and bad) and you leave the guesswork out of it for the other cities you don't know. The OP has a great idea of what she is looking for from your answer and isn't confused by bias or strange facts. EXCELLENT POST!

Old 01-30-2012, 08:30 PM

54 posts, read 72,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalburgh View Post
Snow. Cold. Wind. That would challenge any public transit system. It's doable in Minneapolis, but I wouldn't recommend it. IMO, picking Minneapolis over Seattle is crazy.
snow + cold + wind > rain

Old 01-30-2012, 08:37 PM

799 posts, read 1,289,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheaties View Post
snow + cold + wind > rain
The rain isn't that bad in Seattle. I'm also used to a northern winter. Burlington, Vermont. Montreal. Plattsburgh. Erie. Buffalo. Minneapolis was the worst. What kept me going was the jazz/blues scene in St. Paul. Good times.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:39 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,823,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I agree, yet Seattlites will pump up their one or 2 super dense neighborhoods and use that as some measure as to why Seattle is "far more dense", when it's really about as dense as Minneapolis. Typical Seattle over-hype, which is par for the course when you ask a Seattlite a question about Seattle vs......anywhere.
I would agree Seattle and minneapolis have alot in common there both dense yes downtown Seattle is more dense downtown but there very close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City