Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 08:55 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,324,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post

---------------------------------------

Wait, Wait, Wait I know Atlanta isn't the most urban metro but so......... Atlanta can be mistake for Baton Rouge?

1. I didn't know Baton Rouge downtown was as big as Atlanta's Downtown. And Their are Midtown and Buckhead CBDs counterparts.
2. There numerous neighborhoods comparable to Atlanta's old 4th ward, sweet auburn, cabbagetown, Grant park, historic midtown district, Edgewood, Reynoldstown, Summerhill, and etc in Baton Rouge.
3. That's there's a Cumberland and perimeter center counterparts in the suburbs
4. There are suburban Downtowns comparable to Decatur, Marietta, Cartersville, Lawrenceville, Roswell, Covington, Conyers, McDonough, Griffin and etc.

I didn't know.

Also maybe posters don't know many streets in Atlanta and the metro Atlanta area to believe that outside of Peachtree street Atlanta dosen't feel big, and it's compable to Baton Rouge. Hack outside Downtown Baton Rouge what in street level look like Linbergh, East Atlanta village, Virginia-Highland, Castleberry Hill and etc? And I haven't brought New Urbanism areas in Atlanta or the Atlanta suburbs yet.
You should read the second sentence. Being on a suburban street in Atlanta will feel no different than a suburban street in Baton Rouge. Same with Houston. Don't know how in the world you got all of that out of 2 sentences.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:06 PM

896 posts, read 1,170,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
LA's CITY population density is well behind the others.....hence the ranking. I realize its metro is #1, yet the perception I get puts it more like #2 behind NY.....oh well.
That is not true LA is just as dense if not more, you obviously never been here and just gping off of stereotypes.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
That is not true LA is just as dense if not more, you obviously never been here and just gping off of stereotypes.
Los Angeles is behind Philadelphia, New York, Boston, DC, and San Francisco. And how do you think it's based off stereotypes again?

Old 02-15-2012, 09:48 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,106,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
You should read the second sentence. Being on a suburban street in Atlanta will feel no different than a suburban street in Baton Rouge. Same with Houston. Don't know how in the world you got all of that out of 2 sentences.
That's fair but Baton Rouge still doesn't have suburban edge cities nor the numerous suburban DT's Atlanta has. Many of Atlanta suburbs are historic satellite towns, that are county seats of Georgia small counties. But if were talking about a random single family home neighborhood in the suburbs I can agree.

Griffin GA - Google Maps

Decatur, GA - Google Maps

Cartersville, GA - Google Maps

Marietta, GA - Google Maps

Lawrenceville, GA - Google Maps

Covington, GA - Google Maps

and etc,

Old 02-15-2012, 09:51 PM

37,888 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Atlanta feels huge, but doesn't have the same feeling on street level in majority of the city. On I-85, sure it looks massive but when you get down it could be mistaken for Baton Rouge. Yes it will feel huge on Peachtree St but not so much in suburban Atlanta.
I somewhat see what you're getting at, but I still wouldn't go THAT far. There's not much urban density in suburban Atlanta at all, but you still have large employment centers, skylines, and heavy rail stations in the 'burbs that would make it quite clear that you're not even in downtown Baton Rouge.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
That's fair but Baton Rouge still doesn't have suburban edge cities nor the numerous suburban Atlanta has. Many of Atlanta suburbs are historic satellite towns, that are county seats of Georgia small counties. But if were talking about a random single family home neighborhood in the suburbs I can agree.

Griffin GA - Google Maps

Decatur, GA - Google Maps

Cartersville, GA - Google Maps

Marietta, GA - Google Maps

Lawrenceville, GA - Google Maps

Covington, GA - Google Maps

and etc,
Baton Rouge doesn't but it does have a very smaller version. Eight parishes surround metro Baton Rouge so it has parish seats with historic or established cities (Donaldsonville, Gonzales, Denham Springs, Zachary, New Roads, and Plaquemine) yet on a much much smaller scale. In the end, not all different from Atlanta minus the tiny population difference and infrastructure that comes with increased population.

But back to the point, Atlanta only feels big inside 285, but when I say Atlanta in this respect I mean the urbanized metro. Houston doesn't feel huge when you're in Katy or Humble but it does when you can see all the skylines in and around 610. The same concept applies to Atlanta and most sunbelt cities.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I somewhat see what you're getting at, but I still wouldn't go THAT far. There's not much urban density in suburban Atlanta at all, but you still have large employment centers, skylines, and heavy rail stations in the 'burbs that would make it quite clear that you're not even in downtown Baton Rouge.
On majority of the suburban streets are there skyscrapers in view? We have large employment centers in the suburbs, called plants and petrochemical manufacturing.
The MARTA roughly follows I-20 and I-75 with two lines, right? Well how many stations are in the suburbs?
If it served Marietta, Newnan, Douglasville, Alpharetta, Lawrenceville, and Griffin I would agree or most of them then I would agree.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:13 AM

37,888 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
On majority of the suburban streets are there skyscrapers in view? We have large employment centers in the suburbs, called plants and petrochemical manufacturing.
The MARTA roughly follows I-20 and I-75 with two lines, right? Well how many stations are in the suburbs?
If it served Marietta, Newnan, Douglasville, Alpharetta, Lawrenceville, and Griffin I would agree or most of them then I would agree.
Looking at your response to chiatldal where you limited this to outside of the Perimeter, I can agree with your initial assessment.

And by "employment centers," I wasn't speaking of singular facilities, but suburban CBDs. Heck, the largest CBD by office space in Atlanta is suburban--Perimeter.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Looking at your response to chiatldal where you limited this to outside of the Perimeter, I can agree with your initial assessment.

And by "employment centers," I wasn't speaking of singular facilities, but suburban CBDs. Heck, the largest CBD by office space in Atlanta is suburban--Perimeter.
Well many of the cities in metro Atlanta are outside of 285 but I wasn't strictly talking about outside of it. Parts of the Garden District, Capital Heights, Southdowns, Mid-City, and Scotlandville in Baton Rouge look like parts of Atlanta but that goes for any application, not just to Atlanta and BR.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:22 AM

896 posts, read 1,170,911 times
Quote:
Los Angeles is behind Philadelphia, New York, Boston, DC, and San Francisco. And how do you think it's based off stereotypes again?
I don't want to go in to the whole core vs core thing again since it has been talked about for eternity on here and not really part of the OP's topic, just know LA can go toe to toe with any city when it comes to density for the exception of NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City