Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best food city after NYC?
Los Angeles 46 22.44%
Chicago 53 25.85%
Washington DC 5 2.44%
San Francisco/Bay Area 26 12.68%
Dallas-Fort Worth 5 2.44%
Philadelphia 25 12.20%
Houston 18 8.78%
Atlanta 6 2.93%
Miami 7 3.41%
Boston 4 1.95%
Other 10 4.88%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 10:54 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,134,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFNative87 View Post
First let me say that I have only been to Houston once, and it was only for one day. All I remember eating was a burger that was way too well done. So, I truly can't comment from personal experience. I am sure that you are completely correct in saying that Houston has some amazing food and is an underrated food city. But to answer your question about what makes for a great food city. I'll try to answer the best way I can, but its a bit of a difficult question. To me, a great food city is a city that takes great pride in their food. Its a city with plenty of artisan markets and chefs trying to push the envelope of creativity. Its about chefs and restaurants that strive for being the absolute best at whatever they make- not just the best in their city, but the best in the country. Its a city with a sophisticated wine and bar scene and a city where chefs strive to create something wonderful and new. A great food city is a city where the clientele takes their food very seriously and tend to be highly critical. Not being snobby, but not tolerating mediocrity. Its a city with tons of competition, and not impressing your clientele immiediately usually leads the restaurant going out of business quickly. Its a city that is highly influenced by foreign cultures who don't dominate a food scene, but simply contribute to the city's food scene. Its a city with a higher amount of restaurants per capita than your typical city.

This is how I would sum up a great food city. NYC, SF, Chicago and LA are cities that excel at not just a few of these aspects, but all of them. Now most people will say "But hey, that's my city!" But the truth is, its not. Not to the level of these 4. That is how these 4 cities have developed the reputations that they have. Although like I said, I can't personally comment on Houston, but I don't think Houston has excelled at these points any more then say....Phoenix, or Denver.
These are great points and easily demonstrate how a city like San Francisco belongs in the top. The difference between it and Houston is more than just a collection of restaurants and subjective opinions about dishes. It's the presence of a dynamic, influential critical regionalism in the cooking, unique and superior ingredients, a vibrant food culture (more than merely a "scene") that defines the cuisine and access to a population of either residents or visitors who demand that the culture be consistently at its best and ever-evolving.

SF's ability to draw people to the City and to Wine Country, for the sole purpose of epicurean adventures is enough of a trump card all by itself. The dynamic of serving this changing market and constantly looking to impress them and redefine the game breeds excellence.

SF's critical regionalism and fresh-food culture spawned the "California Cuisine" movement, which has influenced culinary cultures all across the country and gave rise to the contemporary farm-to-table trends that now permeate virtually all ethnic cuisines and price ranges.

SF's access to wine and year-round growing regions for the freshest produce, beef,poultry, seafood and dairy is unprecedented. This, in turn, draws the best chefs and inspires people to elevate their standards in food. Wine Country's influence adds layers to local tastes and infuses the food culture with influences from other wine-producing regions, flavored with that strong nod to regional Californian cooking. Ethnic flavors nuance the styles and traditions even further.

It also boils down to identity. Cities well known for their cuisine have distinct identities. Their flavors at all levels reflect that identity. Chefs and cook strive to accurately portray that identity in their food. It drives the creative process, having expectations set high by diners who clearly understand where (or if) their food fits in the city's larger culture.the effect is even greater when diners actually celebrate that culture.

The "big four," NYC, Chicago, SF and LA have all of this going for them by virtue of their physical locations, regional prominence, history, and other cultural attributes--and really, its a combination of all these things, as stated above.

Houston has many great restaurants and loves to eat, but the elements of a true food culture aren't there. It is a top 10, but not a top 5 city, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 07:48 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I would say your definitely pushing it with that statement. You can make a strong argument that San Antonio is a better food city than Houston.
No you can't. SA has better Mexican and BBQ (though not substantial). That's about it. Everything else is Houston and it isn't close.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:59 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,205,367 times
LA, and I actually think it has better food than NYC.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:04 AM

592 posts, read 828,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
These are great points and easily demonstrate how a city like San Francisco belongs in the top. The difference between it and Houston is more than just a collection of restaurants and subjective opinions about dishes. It's the presence of a dynamic, influential critical regionalism in the cooking, unique and superior ingredients, a vibrant food culture (more than merely a "scene") that defines the cuisine and access to a population of either residents or visitors who demand that the culture be consistently at its best and ever-evolving.

SF's ability to draw people to the City and to Wine Country, for the sole purpose of epicurean adventures is enough of a trump card all by itself. The dynamic of serving this changing market and constantly looking to impress them and redefine the game breeds excellence.

SF's critical regionalism and fresh-food culture spawned the "California Cuisine" movement, which has influenced culinary cultures all across the country and gave rise to the contemporary farm-to-table trends that now permeate virtually all ethnic cuisines and price ranges.

SF's access to wine and year-round growing regions for the freshest produce, beef,poultry, seafood and dairy is unprecedented. This, in turn, draws the best chefs and inspires people to elevate their standards in food. Wine Country's influence adds layers to local tastes and infuses the food culture with influences from other wine-producing regions, flavored with that strong nod to regional Californian cooking. Ethnic flavors nuance the styles and traditions even further.

It also boils down to identity. Cities well known for their cuisine have distinct identities. Their flavors at all levels reflect that identity. Chefs and cook strive to accurately portray that identity in their food. It drives the creative process, having expectations set high by diners who clearly understand where (or if) their food fits in the city's larger culture.the effect is even greater when diners actually celebrate that culture.

The "big four," NYC, Chicago, SF and LA have all of this going for them by virtue of their physical locations, regional prominence, history, and other cultural attributes--and really, its a combination of all these things, as stated above.

Houston has many great restaurants and loves to eat, but the elements of a true food culture aren't there. It is a top 10, but not a top 5 city, in my opinion.

This was the best post I have seen on this thread. Excellent points all around.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:58 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,960,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Why
If you like ethnic food, then Houston and Boston right with it are the answers among the three.

If you don't like ethnic food and want to eat out in a non-diverse (or diverse compared to Des Moines) type city, go with the third city. You'll hate Houston then and even Boston.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 09-12-2013 at 08:06 PM..

Old 09-13-2013, 12:02 AM

63 posts, read 95,628 times
Where is New Orleans in this list?

Old 09-13-2013, 07:12 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,205,367 times
Yeah, I'd have put New Orleans on the list before Miami, Atlanta, Boston or Dallas-Ft. Worth.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:22 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,901,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Yeah, I'd have put New Orleans on the list before Miami, Atlanta, Boston or Dallas-Ft. Worth.
Agreed!

Old 09-13-2013, 07:44 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,995,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
Agreed!
New Orleans in my opinion belongs in the top 5. I would put it ahead of any city in the South.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:19 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,901,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
New Orleans in my opinion belongs in the top 5. I would put it ahead of any city in the South.
Like I said previously NOLA has great food and a unique cuisine but Houston rivals NOLA IMHO. Houston is more diverse than NOLA.

A few cities could bid for #5 (Houston, Philadelphia, Boston, Seattle, and NOLA)
#5 is not as clear as the big four. I do think the OP drop the ball by nothing including NOLA as an option. I would take away Miami, Atlanta, DC, and Dallas and add Seattle, NOLA, and Las Vegas to the poll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City