Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 10:32 PM

886 posts, read 1,562,952 times

Advertisements

These cities are similar in so many ways but also very different in all the right ways (except weather in Chicagos case) with their regional flavor thrown in (NE, MW, WC). I obviously stated what I think of their relationship but want to know more from other New Yorkers and Chicagoans too. Opinions from those well traveled in all 3 are also welcome. Talk about their CITY amenities (urban nabes, subway or el, attractions), downtowns, street activity, size and scale urban entertainment districts, and night scene including bar and pub scenes

These are the only 3 cities I could ever live in the country and I admire all 3 a lot

Last edited by BLAXTOR; 04-14-2012 at 10:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 10:37 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,658,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
These cities are similar in so many ways but also very different in all the right ways (except weather in Chicagos case) with their regional flavor thrown in (NE, MW, WC). I obviously stated what I think of their relationship but want to know more from other New Yorkers and Chicagoans too. Opinions from those well traveled in all 3 are also welcome. Talk about their amenities, downtowns, street activity, size and scale urban entertainment districts, and night scene including bar and pub scenes

These are the only 3 cities I could ever live in the country and I admire all 3 a lot
San Fran as a city is wonderful.

It's San Franciscans that will make you deeply regret being there.

A lot of people really love SF. It is a lovely little town. This Chicagoan would choose her hometown over CA any day, but she happens to be stuck in LA at the moment.

For what it's worth, I would choose SF over LA in a heartbeat.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:18 PM

13 posts, read 24,735 times
I lived in New York for 4 years of college, and I've lived in SF for just over a year now. I love it here, and my friends in NY all like SF or want to visit.

I have friends in Chicago who recently visited me, and they all loved SF as well. When I visited Chicago a few months ago, some people I met told me they loved SF or that they wanted to visit sometime.

As an SF resident, I also love NY and Chicago. SF is my favorite of the three, mainly because I like spending a lot of time in nature and the Bay Area is perfect for that. As far as I know, people in SF generally have a very favorable opinion of both NY and Chicago.

I agree with the OP in that these are the three best cities in the US. Although, there are also other places I could see myself living in such as LA, Boston, Philly, Denver, Pittsburgh, Austin, or Minneapolis.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:21 AM

1,108 posts, read 2,285,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
San Fran as a city is wonderful.

It's San Franciscans that will make you deeply regret being there.

A lot of people really love SF. It is a lovely little town. This Chicagoan would choose her hometown over CA any day, but she happens to be stuck in LA at the moment.

For what it's worth, I would choose SF over LA in a heartbeat.
Lovely "little town"? Interesting, because I find that many districts in SF have more of a crowded, big-city feel than Chicago. Albeit, Chicago is much, much bigger in area, but SF gives it a pretty good run for its money in terms of vibrancy and pound-for-pound urbanity.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:21 AM

771 posts, read 1,394,980 times
I think hands down these three cities are the most urban and interesting in this country. Love NYC just couldn't live there. Heading to SF for the first time this week, but sure I will love it.

And to the OP, yes Chicago winters are no walk in the park, but NYC winters are almost just as bad.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:33 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,211,615 times
Chicago loves cities that people love as much as them basically their own kind. But then chicago can care less about Indianapolis or des monies.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:12 AM

771 posts, read 1,394,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancalderon71 View Post
Chicago loves cities that people love as much as them basically their own kind. But then chicago can care less about Indianapolis or des monies.
That's not entirely true. There are cities that are on a much smaller scale that Chicagoans do enjoy and respect, such as Madison, St. Louis, Milwaukee even Kansas City. With that being said, it's also hard to get excited about cities that are much smaller and don't have as much to do. Living in a city that is very large or cosmopolitan really raises your standard. I am sure someone from Toronto, Montreal, Paris, London, San Francisco, etc., would not be willing to go out of their way to see a city like Indianapolis. Not knocking on Indy, but it just doesn't have that much to offer nor is exciting to drag people away from Chicago to visit and be appreciated. Indinapolis is great, but I don't think it should be expected that Chicagoans get excited or feel great things for the city.

I realized I never answered the question. People in Chicago love San Francisco and NYC. However, it's more of a "I love the city and love to visit, but wouldn't want to live there". I think a big reason for it is the COL. I think the same rule applies towards how SF and NYC people view to Chicago, but not so much of the COL but because of it's geographical location and weather.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:53 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,796,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancalderon71 View Post
Chicago also prefers chocolate and not vanilla.

Chicago also dresses poorly to job interviews.

I once dated Chicago and they refused to pick up the bill.

Feh! Chicago was also a terrible kisser.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:16 PM

I don't understand

Old 04-16-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post

And to the OP, yes Chicago winters are no walk in the park, but NYC winters are almost just as bad.
NYC has better winters, Chicago has better summers but SF is still better than both all year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City