Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2012, 10:35 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
Because you don't know how to tell time.

Truthly I don't remember the detail so I had to look this up
i posted on 10-01-2011, at 09:29 PM

now granted this if for next year (but the time is for all practical purposes the same on any given day every single year(ex july 5 2001, and 2012 would have the same times (unless they play around with day lights savings time) ))

Zmanim for New York - MyZmanim.com
even following the latest possible time that is listed here (there are even later times but this surpasses them all) I still had a hour and a half to turn on the computer read the comment and write

you do know that there is a difference between Eastern Standard Time and Pacific Standard Time. and since your options are set to Pacific you're seeing what time I posted in Pacific Standard Time. Which would be irrelevant to Shabbos and would make every single Jew in the NY metro a sabbath violator.

in short your a big fool that you looked up all my old posts to find the one time I supposedly posted on Shabbos and you still got it wrong.
I stand corrected *shrugs indifferently* But hey: you're still full of hate!

Quote:
I would buy you a watch but somehow I don't think you ever learned how to read it. I guess when you moved from NY to SF you tremendously increased the avg IQ of both cities.
Oh, that hurt *yawn*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 10:46 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,555,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I stand corrected *shrugs indifferently* But hey: you're still full of hate!

Oh, that hurt *yawn*
I'm curious why you would go through all my post to find the one time I "violated the sabbath"

Old 04-19-2012, 11:40 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierymustache View Post
I lived in New York for 4 years of college, and I've lived in SF for just over a year now. I love it here, and my friends in NY all like SF or want to visit.

I have friends in Chicago who recently visited me, and they all loved SF as well. When I visited Chicago a few months ago, some people I met told me they loved SF or that they wanted to visit sometime.

As an SF resident, I also love NY and Chicago. SF is my favorite of the three, mainly because I like spending a lot of time in nature and the Bay Area is perfect for that. As far as I know, people in SF generally have a very favorable opinion of both NY and Chicago.

I agree with the OP in that these are the three best cities in the US. Although, there are also other places I could see myself living in such as LA, Boston, Philly, Denver, Pittsburgh, Austin, or Minneapolis.

Good stuff.....
I think you are correct on the mutual admiration, because the three cities are the top urban playgrounds in the US. LA is great also, but is just a different animal.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:40 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
And I am surprised at how easily you dismiss the coastal beach towns in Northern California because they dont fit into your personal definition of what is and what is not a traditional beach scene. Very odd.
I dismiss their beach scenes as "traditional" because they have chilly climates, they are beach towns and I never said otherwise. I'm not sure what you find odd about a pretty common opinion regarding the NorCal coast. It's odd that you just can't admit that they don't posses what many people would consider typical beach weather and scene.
Quote:
What I find bizarre is that you group SoCal and the East Coast with HAWAII---as if they are even the same with respect to beaches...that is reaching a bit dontcha think?

Hawaii, you aint.
I never said they were the same nor did I ever equate them with Hawaii. I said compare their beach scenes to NorCal. They are all different but all far better for typical beach scenes and weather than Northern Ca.
Quote:
More with this strange fixation on 'COLD'??? Like there are icebergs floating around the coastline. lolololol
Well that was the original topic I discussed when I first responded to this thread and have been pretty much debating. I think it's a strange fixation you have with trying to pretend NorCal has a traditional beach scene and can't admit what it is.
Quote:
Stinson is a real beach town and there are no ifs, ands or buts about it, hate to break it to you.

Excuse me while I scrape some dirt off my igloo.
I never said it wasn't a real beach town, I don't know why you keep acting like I said that. I was speaking about it's beach SCENE and how it doesn't have a traditional beach scene for laying out in the warm sun and swimming in the ocean. Hate to break to you but twisting my words around still doesn't change the fact that the NorCal coast is simply too cold for a traditional beach scene save Santa Cruz for most people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
No, not really.

Its actually comfortable to cool on the coastline of Southern California most of the time.
Actually if had ever spent much time on the sand it is fairly warm on the SoCal coast in summer. Once you get on the sand it feels warmer than say if you were standing on the boardwalk as heat seems to radiate off the sand and that combined with the intense sun makes it feel very warm. Most times I went to the beach I would need to go cool off in the ocean because it was so warm. I spent my summers at the beach in SoCal, you admitted you rarely even went. Looking at the beach from the promenade overlooking the cliffs in Santa Monica isn't the same as being on the sand.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:47 PM

^^I dont buy the "traditional beach scene" thing. That image ingrained in the psyche of America is SoCal beaches + Santa Cruz, but thats just an image. I think you'd be surprised to find some great beach activity in other NorCal locations. When the weather is nice, and you're right its not Florida, but its always pleasant.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
^^I dont buy the "traditional beach scene" thing. That image ingrained in the psyche of America is SoCal beaches + Santa Cruz, but thats just an image. I think you'd be surprised to find some great beach activity in other NorCal locations. When the weather is nice, and you're right its not Florida, but its always pleasant.
You find 50's, windy, and/or foggy pleasant? I personally don't nor know many people that do. There is a reason so many people talk about how cold the NorCal coast is, because IT IS. I'm not saying NorCal doesn't have some nice beach towns, me and my family used to go to Mendocino and Fort Bragg all the time growing up. But we weren't laying out in the sun and swimming in the ocean. Most times we were in sweatshirts too in the middle of summer. Again, that is NOT typical for most of the country with regards to a summer beach season.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:59 PM

^^You are exaggerating. And you are talking about a stretch of coast from Big Sur to Oregon. Its not Laguna Beach, but so what!?
I love sweatshirt weather!

Old 04-20-2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:
^^You are exaggerating. And you are talking about a stretch of coast from Big Sur to Oregon. Its not Laguna Beach, but so what!?
I love sweatshirt weather!
SO it's too cold for a lot of people and what they want out of a beach/ocean. That is my point, what is so hard to admit about that? If you love the cool, foggy NorCal coast and sweatshirts in summer then good for you but from my experience most people prefer the opposite, including myself. What exactly am I exaggerating about? The NorCal coast has very cool weather overall. Sure it will have some days it makes it into the 70's most those aren't that often. Not saying that the NorCal coast isn't a cool place because it's very scenic, rugged, remote, etc.. but I'm talking about a typical beach scene, which is not it's strong suit.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
SO it's too cold for a lot of people and what they want out of a beach/ocean. That is my point, what is so hard to admit about that? If you love the cool, foggy NorCal coast and sweatshirts in summer then good for you but from my experience most people prefer the opposite, including myself. What exactly am I exaggerating about? The NorCal coast has very cool weather overall. Sure it will have some days it makes it into the 70's most those aren't that often. Not saying that the NorCal coast isn't a cool place because it's very scenic, rugged, remote, etc.. but I'm talking about a typical beach scene, which is not it's strong suit.

Thats fine, but you were exaggerating to make your points. Sure it will have some days in the 70s, 80s, have you been in SF when its 90, you said 50s in summer? Its not static, and the California coast is well know for its micro-climates. Its not all like Santa Cruz, but lets be clear, when you say a lot of people, you mean specifically YOU.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Thats fine, but you were exaggerating to make your points. Sure it will have some days in the 70s, 80s, have you been in SF when its 90, you said 50s in summer? Its not static, and the California coast is well know for its micro-climates. Its not all like Santa Cruz, but lets be clear, when you say a lot of people, you mean specifically YOU.
Well some days some of the towns along the coast don't break 60. It's usually in the 60's though. Most people, if not nearly all, I know prefer a warmer beach scene. You even see on this site, many people seem to think the NorCal coast is too cold for what is considered a typical beach scene. There is a reason the NorCal coast isn't nearly as crowded as SoCal, the East Coast, Hawaii, etc. But on those days it does get into the 70's or even 80's it's packed because that is what most people like but unfortunately our coastline doesn't deliver that on a consistent basis in summer. Do you seriously think weather in the 60's, fog, and 55 degree water appeals to most people for a beach outing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City