Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2012, 02:10 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,662,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
I can only give my opinion, not most people. Just as you are giving yours. If that ocean wasnt cool California would not have the climate it does, so Im fine with it. There is enough variety that you can go from a foggy beach to a sunny beach in 15 minutes in certain areas. Either is fine with me, but again who cares. This is vastly off topic.
Sure, but we don't have to be this stupid about it. How many people go to norcali for the beach? Compare that number to socali. Then compare it Florida and you get a picture of what the majority of people prefer in their beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 02:18 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,563,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
Sure, but we don't have to be this stupid about it. How many people go to norcali for the beach? Compare that number to socali. Then compare it Florida and you get a picture of what the majority of people prefer in their beach.
Gulf-coast Flori beaches or Atlantic-coast Flori beaches?

Why did the Flori Marlins change their name?

Old 04-20-2012, 02:23 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Bottom line is, its not HOT on the SoCal coast like what Oy Crumbler says and any suggestion that its normal for temps to be hot or even uncomfortable ANYWHERE on the California coast during the summer is a fabrication.

You all might be able to pretend for the out-of-staters but give me a break.

In this thread we've seen SoCal coastal areas compared to Hawaii as far as warmth. AS IF.

Please stop talking.

lol

Old 04-20-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Gulf-coast Flori beaches or Atlantic-coast Flori beaches?

Why did the Flori Marlins change their name?
Both, since most tourists drive to florida it'd be hard to control for those who just go to the atlantic or gulf.

new ownership? what's the punch of the joke

Old 04-20-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Bottom line is, its not HOT on the SoCal coast like what Oy Crumbler says and any suggestion that its normal for temps to be hot or even uncomfortable ANYWHERE on the California coast during the summer is a fabrication.

You all might be able to pretend for the out-of-staters but give me a break.

In this thread we've seen SoCal coastal areas compared to Hawaii as far as warmth. AS IF.

Please stop talking.

lol
Well hawaii is about 10F warmer than socali beaches which is about the difference between norcali and socali. Didn't you compare norcali to socali temp wise (they both have the "mediterranean" climate?)

Old 04-20-2012, 02:31 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Well hawaii is about 10F warmer than socali beaches which is about the difference between norcali and socali. Didn't you compare norcali to socali temp wise (they both have the "mediterranean" climate?)
Yes, they both have mediterranean climates, not a tropical climate like Hawaii.

In other words, SoCal is more similar to NorCal than it is to Hawaii.

But then, I knew that.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes, they both have mediterranean climates, not a tropical climate like Hawaii.

In other words, SoCal is more similar to NorCal than it is to Hawaii.

But then, I knew that.
I don't like the term mediterranean for the coastal cali climate. First time I heard it is when I started reading city data. I actually spent enough time in italy and greece you could say I have lived there and the climates are not similar at all. For one, the summers get hot (we're talking over 110 on the islands surrounded by water) and the mediterranean offers no relief like the pacific (partly because it becomes warm and partly because the winds generally don't blow air from the water ). The atlantic side of morocco, spain, portugal does much like california.

To me california has an oceanic climate. The same climate up and down the pacfic coast from alaska to the bottom of the baja with temperatures gradually increasing due to sun and warmer water temps.

I think the guy who coined the mediterranean climate did a bad job. At least the winters are similar but they are fairly colder in the mediterranean until you get about to say, egypt/israel.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:00 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,563,422 times
Quote:
Both, since most tourists drive to florida it'd be hard to control for those who just go to the atlantic or gulf.

new ownership? what's the punch of the joke
No punch; I was lazy.

My intended point being: the label "Cali" is as silly as "Flori".

Old 04-20-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
No punch; I was lazy.

Hey, I think it's cute.

When I say southern florida i usually say soflo. It sounds like a shampoo or something. SoFlori sounds nicer

Old 04-20-2012, 03:05 PM

637 posts, read 1,015,802 times
Quote:
No punch; I was lazy.

As a minority in the Northeast, I hear people use the term "Cali" all the time. Why get bent out of shape over something that really isn't a big deal?

Anyways, back on topic, since the beach talk is nice, I think we can all agree that most New Yorkers and most Chicagoans don't care for or like SF, using this logic train.

SF = Specific Type of Liberal White People

NYC = 33% White (a lot whom don't fit the SF mold)
Chicago = 30% White (a lot whom don't fit the SF mold)

85% of NYC + 85% of Chicago =/= liking SF given that SF = Specific Type of Liberal White people

At most, only 10-15% of New Yorkers and Chicagoans can like SF, since SF

1) Isn't friendly to minorities
2) Isn't friendly to whites who aren't their type of liberal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City