Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2012, 08:48 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
There's nothing wrong with SF, but I think a lot of posters need to remember that it really only has 800,000. Many of the Bay Area posters need to be reminded that no one thinks about SF in the same way one thinks about cities like NYC, LA, and Chicago. That's the reality of the situation. I've even heard people put Miami over SF in terms of recognition.

SF is a nice cute city, but there is no other 800,000 city in the country that is as overhyped as SF. Jacksonville, Austin, and Indianapolis have around the same population.

Also, the political scene in SF is off putting to the vast majority of people in the United States.

It just seems like a place that needs to be put in its place.

It's so cute that you've given yourself such a nice position up there to help place others! You are so powerful!

Also, you are so wrong! SF is the cultural and traditional heart and soul of one of our largest metros--who cares if it's legal boundaries only include 800,000. How did you spend so much time on these forums and not have that pounded into your head yet? Do you really think Jacksonville, Austin, or Indianapolis are functionally the same size? Have you ever been to SF?

Also, in terms of economic influence, SF does contend with Chicago overall, and when it comes to companies and their chief base of operations, to LA. The only one it doesn't contend with is NYC--but then again, neither LA or Chicago or anywhere close to NYC economically.

To some other post about all the "aside from Asians" and diversity posts--really? Why do Asians somehow count less when we're talking about diversity (especially since the category itself is the most internally diverse)? And SF is something like 15% hispanic with a 6% black population while the metro area is one of the most diverse in the US (but this is assuming that we are allowed to count Asians as people--though it actually does well even if you don't count Asians as people).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 10:17 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
In this thread we've seen SoCal coastal areas compared to Hawaii as far as warmth. AS IF.

Please stop talking.

lol
Actually no we haven't. Please show where ANYONE besides YOU compared SoCal to Hawaii as far as warmth. Of course since you can't do that we all know you'll avoid answering the question. Like I already clarified when you first misinterpreted my comparison, I was comparing the beach SCENES (which I clearly stated in my original comment), not weather or warmth of Hawaii.

Please stop lying and pretending things were said that weren't. Sad that you actually make up stuff to try to make a point.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFG510 View Post
I think you exaggerate the weather being horrible at NorCal beaches. Chicago is warmer in the summer but you can enjoy Norcal beaches year round.

Current Temps 4/20/2012

Chicago - 43 deg

NorCal

Stinson Beach -83 deg

San Francisco- 76 deg

Santa Cruz- 84 deg
If you like cool weather sure. It's usually rainy and windy in winter, but does actually get some decent clear days too as there seems to be less fog than summer. It's of course not as bad as Chicago in winter. But summer is USUALLY foggy and many times windy. I personally don't "enjoy" foggy, windy, and/or cool weather.

But that's not to say that the coast up here doesn't have some very nice days, like today and the next couple of days. Yeah you get some stunning warm days like today but let's not pretend these current temps are normal.

If you like the climate and scene of the NorCal coast, which many do for it's isolation, natural scenery, ruggedness, etc..I understand that. But I really don't get why people are trying to make it out to something out that's it's not, a "typical" beach scene on par with places like SoCal, the East Coast, or Hawaii. It's more on par with OR and WA.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:33 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
Have you read what the New York Jewish person has been saying about SF? Taught me a little bit about San Francisco's dark anti-Semitic side. Then again, it doesn't surprise me, since SF is home to one of the largest pro-Palestinian groups in the United States.

Those students know their place, and once they leave campus and start spouting their nonsense, they will be put in their place.

And even with the rest of Manhattan, there are people who live in the other boroughs who dilute the white liberal's influence.

WOW.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:35 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
If you like cool weather sure. It's usually rainy and windy in winter, but does actually get some decent clear days too as there seems to be less fog than summer. It's of course not as bad as Chicago in winter. But summer is USUALLY foggy and many times windy. I personally don't "enjoy" foggy, windy, and/or cool weather.

But that's not to say that the coast up here doesn't have some very nice days, like today and the next couple of days. Yeah you get some stunning warm days like today but let's not pretend these current temps are normal.

If you like the climate and scene of the NorCal coast, which many do for it's isolation, natural scenery, ruggedness, etc..I understand that. But I really don't get why people are trying to make it out to something out that's it's not, a "typical" beach scene on par with places like SoCal, the East Coast, or Hawaii. It's more on par with OR and WA.

Those temps and sunny days are "normal" in the sense that it happens all year round. You can have these days in any month of the year. The climate is moderate. You will have plenty of cool days, but you will have warm days too. You will not have cold nor hot days at California beaches. Its all relative.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:42 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
WOW.
Right? He's just a delight.

He also serves as a reminder of one of the reasons my parents left the East Coast.

Last edited by nslander; 04-20-2012 at 10:52 PM..

Old 04-20-2012, 10:48 PM

611 posts, read 1,600,600 times
I see huge foodie just couldn't resist and is now completely back to his Pollster days.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Those temps and sunny days are "normal" in the sense that it happens all year round. You can have these days in any month of the year. The climate is moderate. You will have plenty of cool days, but you will have warm days too. You will not have cold nor hot days at California beaches. Its all relative.
I know I'm splitting hairs here but you won't get 80+ degree temps along the Northern CA coast in winter unlike SoCal, you can get 70's at the warmest, which is plenty nice and warm enough of course. The coast up here does have some nice days year round, just not enough of them imo.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:00 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,365,612 times
My perception from the folks I've known in Chicago and NYC is that San Francisco is nice, but not to live save for some spectacular career offering. In regards to the city, it's nice, picturesque, but grimier than expected. Don't recall anyone saying anything positive about the beach scene; most spent their time in napa/Sonoma.

One person I know from Chicago moved there and loves it. Likes the weather and surrounding areas. One friend in NYC tried sf for 1 year and moved back. Didnt cared for the culture and wasn't as exciting.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:06 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,236,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
I don't like the term mediterranean for the coastal cali climate.
LOL. But that's exactly what it is. Mediterranean climate = rain in the winter, but dry the rest of the year.

Quote:
First time I heard it is when I started reading city data.

educate yourself:

Mediterranean climate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
I actually spent enough time in italy and greece you could say I have lived there and the climates are not similar at all. For one, the summers get hot (we're talking over 110 on the islands surrounded by water) and the mediterranean offers no relief like the pacific (partly because it becomes warm and partly because the winds generally don't blow air from the water ).
That's because most of the coastal Mediterranean region has a "hot-summer" Mediterranean climate, whereas most of coastal California has a "warm-summer" Mediterranean climate, meaning of course that the summers in coastal california are cooler (Aside from a small hot-summer stretch in coastal So Cal). Most of CA's hot-summer Mediterranean areas are inland, rather than coastal, as the pacific ocean is colder than the Mediterranean sea, and cools the CA coast off more than the Mediterranean coast gets cooled.

Quote:
The atlantic side of morocco, spain, portugal does much like california.
And that's because much of the Atlantic side of Spain, Portugal, and some of coastal Morocco has a warm-summer Mediterranean climate, just like coastal CA.

Quote:
To me california has an oceanic climate. The same climate up and down the pacfic coast from alaska to the bottom of the baja with temperatures gradually increasing due to sun and warmer water temps.
uhh...you must be smoking some potent crack to think the coastal climate in Alaska is the same as the coastal climate in Baja California.

As for "Oceanic climates" that's what you'll find in British Columbia and most of Europe.

Also, coastal areas in the Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, BC, far northern CA), are technically considered to be warm-summer Mediterranean (due to the wet winter/dry summer pattern) but are apparently often counted as Oceanic Climates, as they are differentiated from other Mediterranean climates (such as the rest of CA) by their much larger precipitation levels and much cloudier weather.

Quote:
I think the guy who coined the mediterranean climate did a bad job. At least the winters are similar but they are fairly colder in the mediterranean until you get about to say, egypt/israel.
So are you now going to create your own personal defintion of what a "mediterranean climate" is? Good luck getting people to go along with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City