Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2012, 12:37 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Well some days some of the towns along the coast don't break 60. It's usually in the 60's though. Most people, if not nearly all, I know prefer a warmer beach scene. You even see on this site, many people seem to think the NorCal coast is too cold for what is considered a typical beach scene. There is a reason the NorCal coast isn't nearly as crowded as SoCal, the East Coast, Hawaii, etc. But on those days it does get into the 70's or even 80's it's packed because that is what most people like but unfortunately our coastline doesn't deliver that on a consistent basis in summer. Do you seriously think weather in the 60's, fog, and 55 degree water appeals to most people for a beach outing?

I can only give my opinion, not most people. Just as you are giving yours. If that ocean wasnt cool California would not have the climate it does, so Im fine with it. There is enough variety that you can go from a foggy beach to a sunny beach in 15 minutes in certain areas. Either is fine with me, but again who cares. This is vastly off topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 12:41 AM

886 posts, read 1,562,952 times
No one goes to any of these 3 cities for the beach. Why are we talking about California and Hawaii now? What does that have to do with NYC, Chic, SF?

Old 04-20-2012, 04:12 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
I'm curious why you would go through all my post to find the one time I "violated the sabbath"
'Cause I had a spare ten minutes and I take sme degree of offense at the fact that you:

- dump on "white people"
- purport to be the mouthpiece of minorities in America with sweeping, baseless comments that are mainly contingent on your dislike of San Francisco rather than anything insightful
- are generally pretty unpleasant
- are xenophobic and hateful towards certain groups (gays) while specifically making note in your username as well as all up and down your posts of your purported religious/social/ethnic/cultural group.

Inasmuch as I was a shabbos goy who ultimately converted in a conservative synagogue because I was engaged to a girl whose father was a cantor, I know for a fact that you do not speak for the vast bulk of Jews whom I've met, even the more conservative-leaning Orthodox or Sephardim I've known. Your going around spewing bile under the banner of a people who are unfotunately still mistreated and mistrusted in many sectors of society is not welcome, nor right or fair.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:33 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
This thread is a mess. Anyway, at least in my part of Chicago, the north side, San Fran and NYC stand out as two premier areas of the country as far as "if I moved somewhere else".

Old 04-20-2012, 07:39 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,555,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
'Cause I had a spare ten minutes and I take sme degree of offense at the fact that you:

- dump on "white people"
- purport to be the mouthpiece of minorities in America with sweeping, baseless comments that are mainly contingent on your dislike of San Francisco rather than anything insightful
- are generally pretty unpleasant
- are xenophobic and hateful towards certain groups (gays) while specifically making note in your username as well as all up and down your posts of your purported religious/social/ethnic/cultural group.

Inasmuch as I was a shabbos goy who ultimately converted in a conservative synagogue because I was engaged to a girl whose father was a cantor, I know for a fact that you do not speak for the vast bulk of Jews whom I've met, even the more conservative-leaning Orthodox or Sephardim I've known. Your going around spewing bile under the banner of a people who are unfotunately still mistreated and mistrusted in many sectors of society is not welcome, nor right or fair.
point 1 rebuttal
I have no problem with White people just the breed of white liberal holier than though low lifes who destroy society.

there is a huge difference between the avg white in NY and SF.
point 2 rebuttal
nothing insightful?
how is this not a important point when comparing NY to SF
name me one white neighborhood in SF where majority of whites are ethnic. if I only took the white ethnic parts of NY it would have way more people then SF.

I also happen to know for a fact that the small Russian jewish community in SF is treated like garbage by the avg SF resident. SF is widely considered by many jews to be the most Anti Semitic city in America.

after SF attack on circumcision last year (which to me is the worst anti semetic thing in US history and I know about order 11, Gallagher v. Crown Kosher Super Market of Massachusetts, america's pogroms) I have every right to attack a city that's white (and gay) population gave large support to this atrocity.

point 3 rebuttal
I guess the truth hurts

point 4 rebuttal
Judisim has always been the group that opposed homosexuality the most (read how jews were described by the greeks and romans)
look at how the Jewish community voted against Weprin and Fidler because of "abomination marriage" (and thats how it's called look up the term "Toeiva marriage" on the internet and see what comes up)

Jews who follow Judisim are against gay just like we're against thieves because from a Jewish (from authentic jewish religious sources male homosexual practice is worse) perspective.

please explain to me why the anti circumsion movement is mostly gay and the only parades it marches in are gay pride parades (and they march in a bunch of them). and most of the time gets cheered. If gays were halfway decent people they would run them out of it. I doubt they could march in the Columbus day parade and get away with it.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:56 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,558,624 times
Quote:
point 1 rebuttal
I have no problem with White people just the breed of white liberal holier than though low lifes who destroy society.
Well, that's ok then. Because that's what they do, destroy society.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:32 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Actually if had ever spent much time on the sand it is fairly warm on the SoCal coast in summer
No its not, its actually comfortable, nowhere near 'hot' as Oy Crumbler described---in fact the only time the coast anywhere in California gets hot is during a heat wave.

I dont even know why this is a point of contention.

slo1318 already said it, our weather is the way it is partly due to how cool coastal areas are relative to everywhere else.

And its not that fake difference like what you see on the East Coast or Hawaii where its only a breath cooler on the coast, if at all.

NOOOOO. In California the coastline can be 30-40 degrees coolers than nearby inland valleys.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:52 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Quote:
point 1 rebuttal

there is a huge difference between the avg white in NY and SF.

Quote:
point 2 rebuttal
nothing insightful?
how is this not a important point when comparing NY to SF
name me one white neighborhood in SF where majority of whites are ethnic.
Outer Richmond; Russian and Armenian.
North Beach; Italian.

Quote:
if I only took the white ethnic parts of NY it would have way more people then SF.
Big deal!

I'm an "ethnic white person" and could care less! I still prefer SF to NYC, and so do many of the people who have chosen to live there who are either from the Northeast, or from other parts of the US and certainly earn a high-enough income to make it work.

Quote:
I also happen to know for a fact that the small Russian jewish community in SF is treated like garbage by the avg SF resident.
That's absolutely absurd.

Quote:
SF is widely considered by many jews to be the most Anti Semitic city in America.
That's the first time in my life I've ever heard such a dumb statement.

Quote:
after SF attack on circumcision last year (which to me is the worst anti semetic thing in US history and I know about order 11, Gallagher v. Crown Kosher Super Market of Massachusetts, america's pogroms) I have every right to attack a city that's white (and gay) population gave large support to this atrocity.
Another totally stupid statement.

Anyone can try to put basically anything on the ballot. I did not know a single person who supported that ban; everyone thought that it was absolutely dumb, and that's why it was stricken down and never got to a vote, because it was stupid, it did discriminate again Jews and Muslims as well as anyone else who chose to have their child circumsized... but again, it's all moot since it never got to the ballot anyways. Fox News and other idiotic conservative outlets seized on it and made it seem like it was a popular movement in San Francisco when it wasn't; everyone in town thought it was patently dumb.

It
Specifically, note the following:

Quote:
Abby Porth, associate director at the Jewish Community Relations Council, said she welcomes Thursday’s decision by Loretta M. Giorgi. She said her organization’s opposition was about combating negative attention on male circumcision and not so much over fear the ban might be approved by voters.
“Even if it made the ballot, we don’t believe it would have passed,” Porth said.
Your "outrage" at all this is absolutely stupid; by your rationale, you should really specifically hate New York because of this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/20/ny...-memories.html

Quote:
Swastikas, as well as the words “Die Jew,” had been painted on a garage in Midwood and on the stairs of a Jewish school, part of a recent spate of anti-Semitic crimes in Brooklyn, Manhattan and New Jersey and on Long Island.
Quote:
point 3 rebuttal
I guess the truth hurts
No, it's just unpleasant to hear your interpretation of what "the truth" is, and again, it's even more unpleasant to see you try to use Judaism and Jewish society to try to justify your beliefs.

Quote:
point 4 rebuttal
Judisim has always been the group that opposed homosexuality the most (read how jews were described by the greeks and romans)
look at how the Jewish community voted against Weprin and Fidler because of "abomination marriage" (and thats how it's called look up the term "Toeiva marriage" on the internet and see what comes up)

Jews who follow Judisim are against gay just like we're against thieves because from a Jewish (from authentic jewish religious sources male homosexual practice is worse) perspective.
Did you forget that homosexuals were subject to the same horrors that Jews were during the holocaust, for the exact same reasons that not only you are using, but were basically the same ones that the Nazis used?

Nazi Persecution of Homosexuals 1933-1945

Quote:
please explain to me why the anti circumsion movement is mostly gay and the only parades it marches in are gay pride parades (and they march in a bunch of them). and most of the time gets cheered.
I don't care about such a dumb movement and not a single gay person who's in my social circle has ever talked about supporting this movement. Wager to say, I probably know more gay people than you do...

Quote:
If gays were halfway decent people they would run them out of it. I doubt they could march in the Columbus day parade and get away with it.
Have you ever seen this quote?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Frank
Is discord going to show itself while we are still fighting, is the Jew once again worth less than another? Oh, it is sad, very sad, that once more, for the umpteenth time, the old truth is confirmed: "What one Christian does is his own responsibility, what one Jew does is thrown back at all Jews."
Here, I edited it just for you:

Is discord going to show itself while we are still fighting, is the homosexual once again worth less than another? Oh, it is sad, very sad, that once more, for the umpteenth time, the old truth is confirmed: "What one Jew does is his own responsibility, what one homosexual does is thrown back at all homosexuals."

Old 04-20-2012, 02:07 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
No its not, its actually comfortable, nowhere near 'hot' as Oy Crumbler described---in fact the only time the coast anywhere in California gets hot is during a heat wave.
Actually yes it is, why do think so many people are in the water on SoCal during summer? It's to cool off many times from being WARM, I didnt say hot. For someone who rarely went to the beach in SoCal I'm surprised how knowledgeable you think you are on this subject.

Quote:
our weather is the way it is partly due to how cool coastal areas are relative to everywhere else.

And its not that fake difference like what you see on the East Coast or Hawaii where its only a breath cooler on the coast, if at all.

NOOOOO. In California the coastline can be 30-40 degrees coolers than nearby inland valleys.
"Can be" usually during a heat wave. The average difference in avg daily high between Downtown Sd and El Cajon, an inland suburb, is only around 10 degrees. NorCal tends to have more drastic differences due to the colder coastal weather. The NorCal coast is usually around 10 degrees colder on land and in the water than SoCal in summer on average and that is why it's beach scene is inferior IMO. I don't really get why you keep trying to act like they have the same weather and beach scene.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:08 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,660,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

I dont even know why this is a point of contention.

slo1318 already said it, our weather is the way it is partly due to how cool coastal areas are relative to everywhere else.

Socali coast is still about 10F warmer than the coast up in norcali. A lot of temperatures can be comfortable depending on what you wear. iF you want to wear traditional beach wear (swimming suits, nothing else) then norcali is definitely too cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City