Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2012, 10:55 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,662,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
uhh...you must be smoking some potent crack to think the coastal climate in Alaska is the same as the coastal climate in Baja California.

As for "Oceanic climates" that's what you'll find in British Columbia and most of Europe.

Also, coastal areas in the Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, BC, far northern CA), are technically considered to be warm-summer Mediterranean (due to the wet winter/dry summer pattern) but are apparently often counted as Oceanic Climates, as they are differentiated from other Mediterranean climates (such as the rest of CA) by their much larger precipitation levels and much cloudier weather.
Coastal Alaskan climate has a lot of similarities with a coastal Cali climate. One being is that the ocean actually moderates the temperatures both in the winter and summer. Juneau Alaska get's warmer winters than most of the northern half of the USA (some of the aluetian islands rarely get snow). The summers are also fairly cool whereas if you go several miles inland this effect greatly diminishes. To me that's a continuation of the climate that spans from Alaska to the baja. As you go south it gradually warms up, it gradually gets sunnier and drier.

Now compare that to the mediterranean where temperatures are HARDLY influenced by the coast at all. When you can be an a island and see temps regularly climb above 100, even 110. I'm sorry but calling it hot summer mediterranean doesn't seem to describe it for me.

The atlantic side of europe, especially spain and france have a very similar summer/winter pattern to socal. Which is why I find the description (med) odd when it's really oceanic.

Quote:
So are you now going to create your own personal defintion of what a "mediterranean climate" is? Good luck getting people to go along with that.
The majority of people are idiots so they can go by whatever they want. I can care less
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 10:58 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,662,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFG510 View Post
I think you exaggerate the weather being horrible at NorCal beaches. Chicago is warmer in the summer but you can enjoy Norcal beaches year round.

Current Temps 4/20/2012

Chicago - 43 deg

NorCal

Stinson Beach -83 deg

San Francisco- 76 deg

Santa Cruz- 84 deg
Just a month ago, Chicago had a 1-2 week span of 80s-90s and Norcali coast was struggling to see 60. You can't just post the temps of 1 day as a good comparison

As a rule of thumb, if it's hotter on the west coast than normal it's cooler on the east and the same goes for the opposite.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:14 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,833 times
I'm from Chicago, I think of SF as essentially being the North Side of Chicago (in size and everything else), but more hippy-fied, and more expensive.

What I don't like are:
-Cost of living
-Hippy/new age stuff. I am not a fan at all, though I'm sure it's avoidable. Nothing irritates me more than a lifestyle that's supposedly about letting yourself out, yet the people who follow it all dress the same, have the same views, etc.
-The hills. I ride a bike and love flat terrain.
-The weather. I really am not into hoodie weather for some reason. And I love our hot, humid summers.
-Curb cuts EVERYWHERE. I don't think anything destroys the feel of a street more than having a garage taking up the first floor of every single building.

I'm sure it's a nice city and I hope to visit there at some point, but the first and last things on that list will probably keep me from wanting to live there.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:33 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,237,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
-Hippy/new age stuff. I am not a fan at all, though I'm sure it's avoidable.
Describing SF as full of "hippy/new age stuff" is the same as saying that Chicago is full of gangsters and corrupt politicians. It's a stereotype that does not at all describe 99% of the city/population.

Quote:
The hills. I ride a bike and love flat terrain.
yeah, hills can be annoying. But the silver lining is that you get ride down them after you go up them, and you get a beautiful view and extra exercise on top of it.

Quote:
Curb cuts EVERYWHERE. I don't think anything destroys the feel of a street more than having a garage taking up the first floor of every single building
Yeah, there are tons of curb cuts in SF. So? The feel of SF's streets are most definitely NOT "destroyed" because of them, as anyone who's been to the city can tell you. The city is still densely populated, has tons of amenities and pedestrians all over the place, and has good public transit too, despite the curb cuts. Also, commercial streets anywhere in the city obviously have few if any curb cuts, and the most densely populated parts of SF, like the Tenderloin, Nob Hill, and Chinatown also have relatively few curb cuts.

Could it be that curb cuts are mostly a cosmetic issue, and that street life is far more dependent on things like density, walkability, and sufficient amenities instead? Street life might be slightly better in SF if there were more ground level units rather than garages (though not by much, as there ARE tons of ground level units in SF already, they often just share the lower floor with a garage too), but as it is the street life is already amazing in SF, and is in the absolute top tier of US cities.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:23 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
These cities are similar in so many ways but also very different in all the right ways (except weather in Chicagos case) with their regional flavor thrown in (NE, MW, WC). I obviously stated what I think of their relationship but want to know more from other New Yorkers and Chicagoans too. Opinions from those well traveled in all 3 are also welcome. Talk about their CITY amenities (urban nabes, subway or el, attractions), downtowns, street activity, size and scale urban entertainment districts, and night scene including bar and pub scenes

These are the only 3 cities I could ever live in the country and I admire all 3 a lot
I have an extremely postive view of San Francisco.

The City seems to have a little and sometimes alot of everything. Different neighborhoods, great parks, great views, some history, different ethnic restaurants, the Bay. The scenery and wildlife, while not quite PNW and Vancouver, is excellent compared to most cities. There is a uniqueness about the city, indicated by things like the Golden Gate, the Presido, Alcatraz and even the cable cars.

However, there is one odd thing I feel about San Francisco. When I think of the city, I sort of get this trapped closed in feeling. I realize this is especially odd coming from someone living on an island! I am not sure why I get this feeling but maybe because I have become soft and used to living in the suburbs and maybe because SF is on such a small peninsula. I do not get the same "closed in feeling" when I think of other Bay area cities like Oakland and San Jose.

Last edited by LINative; 04-21-2012 at 12:34 PM..

Old 04-21-2012, 12:24 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Describing SF as full of "hippy/new age stuff" is the same as saying that Chicago is full of gangsters and corrupt politicians. It's a stereotype that does not at all describe 99% of the city/population.

yeah, hills can be annoying. But the silver lining is that you get ride down them after you go up them, and you get a beautiful view and extra exercise on top of it.

Yeah, there are tons of curb cuts in SF. So? The feel of SF's streets are most definitely NOT "destroyed" because of them, as anyone who's been to the city can tell you. The city is still densely populated, has tons of amenities and pedestrians all over the place, and has good public transit too, despite the curb cuts. Also, commercial streets anywhere in the city obviously have few if any curb cuts, and the most densely populated parts of SF, like the Tenderloin, Nob Hill, and Chinatown also have relatively few curb cuts.

Could it be that curb cuts are mostly a cosmetic issue, and that street life is far more dependent on things like density, walkability, and sufficient amenities instead? Street life might be slightly better in SF if there were more ground level units rather than garages (though not by much, as there ARE tons of ground level units in SF already, they often just share the lower floor with a garage too), but as it is the street life is already amazing in SF, and is in the absolute top tier of US cities.

1) You're absolutely right, and I know this. However, it is a draw to the city for many people. It's not a draw for me, and if there's a lot of it, I wouldn't like it very much.

2) I'd still prefer to not ride up in the first place. I suppose a road bike with multiple speeds would make it much more tolerable, though.

3) They are a purely cosmetic issue. I don't think it necessarily has an effect on overall life in SF, but for me, it matters. I like buildings way too much. My favorite thing about any city is the architecture in its residential neighborhoods. I don't like when residential buildings have curb cuts and front-facing garages. They are extremely rare in Chicago. I can still appreciate the architecture in SF, but the curb cuts don't sit well with me. Those neighborhoods may not have many, but are they affordable enough for me to want to live in them? Nope.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:51 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,118,572 times
Quote:
1) You're absolutely right, and I know this. However, it is a draw to the city for many people. It's not a draw for me, and if there's a lot of it, I wouldn't like it very much.

2) I'd still prefer to not ride up in the first place. I suppose a road bike with multiple speeds would make it much more tolerable, though.

3) They are a purely cosmetic issue. I don't think it necessarily has an effect on overall life in SF, but for me, it matters. I like buildings way too much. My favorite thing about any city is the architecture in its residential neighborhoods. I don't like when residential buildings have curb cuts and front-facing garages. They are extremely rare in Chicago. I can still appreciate the architecture in SF, but the curb cuts don't sit well with me. Those neighborhoods may not have many, but are they affordable enough for me to want to live in them? Nope.

Well you'll have to check it out.
DT SF is much busier, although smaller, than Chicago....

Old 04-21-2012, 01:00 PM

771 posts, read 1,395,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Well you'll have to check it out.
DT SF is much busier, although smaller, than Chicago....
I disagree with that last comment. I just got back from SF and Chicagos downtown and SFs downtown streetlife is about the same, with certain parts of chicagos being much busier. I do find SF at the street level more interesting though, but not by much. From what I saw I think both cities overall are neck in neck when it comes to street life.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:04 PM

771 posts, read 1,395,905 times
Quote:
I'm from Chicago, I think of SF as essentially being the North Side of Chicago (in size and everything else), but more hippy-fied, and more expensive.

What I don't like are:
-Cost of living
-Hippy/new age stuff. I am not a fan at all, though I'm sure it's avoidable. Nothing irritates me more than a lifestyle that's supposedly about letting yourself out, yet the people who follow it all dress the same, have the same views, etc.
-The hills. I ride a bike and love flat terrain.
-The weather. I really am not into hoodie weather for some reason. And I love our hot, humid summers.
-Curb cuts EVERYWHERE. I don't think anything destroys the feel of a street more than having a garage taking up the first floor of every single building.

I'm sure it's a nice city and I hope to visit there at some point, but the first and last things on that list will probably keep me from wanting to live there.
In terms of people I think you do have a point. In SF people are certainly "different" but it really comes down to if you really let thatstuffbotheryou. It's avoidable. As many weirdos as I saw I saw just as many normal people.

In terms of hills it only seemed like there a few areas where the hills become uncomfortable but outside of that it seemed like most of the city was not that steep like in Nob Hill or Telegraph hill.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:10 PM

578 posts, read 1,092,683 times
Default I think

that SF is a great city. Lot's of uniqueness to it. Living in Chicago I totally love my city and would never want to move. I even like our winters. And from friends in both NY and SF I believe that Chicago is a bit less expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City