Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Gang Capital of the United States?
Chicago 157 50.97%
Los Angeles 151 49.03%
Voters: 308. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 06:37 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,279,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Huh? Chicago is listed in 15th place on that link you provided, and none of the other rankings they used for their overall score have that listing.
Oh... did you ask if your Philly was on the list.... Or your NYC dropped by London on the wrong sight I gave.... 10 objective reasons why London is better than New York | CityMetric maybe you were suppose to see it?

But honestly I don't wish to lessen NYC. But to those that Boast it over every other city with its virtues and won't give some other cities there due..... I note it. The above sight notes London overtook aspects of Finance...

The RIGHT website.....GaWC Research Bulletin 432.

My other post on Finance are on this sight too. In the....Hierarchy of financial centers and The All Finance, Absolute Chart Chicago is #4.

You have to scroll down to the Lower Charts not the first one.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
Yeah that guy totally went off topic lol

Chicago not even the 3rd most important city in North America & arguably San Francisco, D.c & Toronto are more important, smh @ the hi jack attempt in this post.
Your on topic addition is......

... Any lessening of Chicago as having more crime and gangs deserves ANY AMUNITION ONE HAS.

I KNOW TO ALWAYS COUNT ON THOSE WHOSE AIM WILL ALWAYS BE TO LOWER CHICAGO.... EVEN JUST BECAUSE ITS THEIR POSTER BOY OF ANTI-LIBERAL BLAMES AND PRES OBAMA CAME FROM... THOUGH NOT RAISED THERE....

Guess we see each other enough in post we KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT ANYWAY....

OH .... BY THE WAY THE CUBS WON...

Old 10-13-2015, 06:59 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,175,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Oh... did you ask if your Philly was on the list.... Or your NYC dropped by London on the wrong sight I gave.... 10 objective reasons why London is better than New York | CityMetric maybe you were suppose to see it?

But honestly I don't wish to lessen NYC. But to those that Boast it over every other city with its virtues and won't give some other cities there due..... I note it. The above sight notes London overtook aspects of Finance...

The RIGHT website.....GaWC Research Bulletin 432.

My other post on Finance are on this sight too. In the....Hierarchy of financial centers and The All Finance, Absolute Chart Chicago is #4.

You have to scroll down to the Lower Charts not the first one.....
Nowhere did I mention Philadelphia or New York City in my post. Not once. I was just (rightfully) correcting your fabricated Chicago ranking. Had nothing to do with denigrating Chicago, just pointing out an obvious misrepresentation.

But since you want to take it there, and in your horrible, broken English to boot, fine. Your incessant cheerleading of Chicago is ridiculous. The fact that you took my post as a slight against Chicago, rather than an objection to your link, just confirms your groupie status. Honestly, you don't do the Windy City any favors by posting. Stop being so defensive and stop boosting so insanely. And for the love of God, please take a grammar class!

Old 10-13-2015, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Nowhere did I mention Philadelphia or New York City in my post. Not once. I was just (rightfully) correcting your fabricated Chicago ranking. Had nothing to do with denigrating Chicago, just pointing out an obvious misrepresentation.

But since you want to take it there, and in your horrible, broken English to boot, fine. Your incessant cheerleading of Chicago is ridiculous. The fact that you took my post as a slight against Chicago, rather than an objection to your link, just confirms your groupie status. Honestly, you don't do the Windy City any favors by posting. Stop being so defensive and stop boosting so insanely. And for the love of God, please take a grammar class!
I MERELY GAVE THE WRONG WEBSIGHT THERE LOL. Did you catch my drift on after we see how a pattern of another post go..... you know what to expect. I have read numerous post in threads we both entered.

You live near Philly and will boast for Philly and say thy know nothing on Philly and write them off. I could past back recent post. You will also boast for NYC. Especially when ANY ASPECT of CHICAGO is vs it.

So by other post I made the Philly comment. It is in NONE of the sights in stature on aspects of Finance.

I CLEARLY admitted I posted the wrong sight. I GAVE YOU THE SIGHT. What you did not get in the corrected sight and my mistake. I do not know?

I hope we are done. I stand by my comments. You can insult MORE if you wish? I wouldn't advise it. From experience. We can agree to disagree with me. If you question the data on the web sights? Contact them.

I am not the Intellectual who gathers statistics to create charts to compare cities. I go by their studies.
So respectfully. If you disagree with the data? Do not accuse me fabricating it.

If you do not understand my English as broken... surely skip over my post. But I take NO OFFENSE in being called a GROUPIE FOR CHICAGO... I ADOPTED AS A SECOND HOMETOWN..... NEVER USE GOD IN A NEGATIVE ASPECT OF ANGER. It doesn't disrespect me.... but God himself who is about the opposite...

Old 10-13-2015, 07:43 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,175,298 times
Quote:
I MERELY GAVE THE WRONG WEBSIGHT THERE LOL. Did you catch my drift on after we see how a pattern of another post go..... you know what to expect. I have read numerous post in threads we both entered.

You live near Philly and will boast for Philly and say thy know nothing on Philly and write them off. I could past back recent post. You will also boast for NYC. Especially when ANY ASPECT of CHICAGO is vs it.

So by other post I made the Philly comment. It is in NONE of the sights in stature on aspects of Finance.

I CLEARLY admitted I posted the wrong sight. I GAVE YOU THE SIGHT. What you did not get in the corrected sight and my mistake. I do not know?

I hope we are done. I stand by my comments. You can insult MORE if you wish? I wouldn't advise it. From experience. We can agree to disagree with me. If you question the data on the web sights? Contact them.

I am not the Intellectual who gathers statistics to create charts to compare cities. I go by their studies.
So respectfully. If you disagree with the data? Do not accuse me fabricating it.

If you do not understand my English as broken... surely skip over my post. But I take NO OFFENSE in being called a GROUPIE FOR CHICAGO... I ADOPTED AS A SECOND HOMETOWN..... NEVER USE GOD IN A NEGATIVE ASPECT OF ANGER. It doesn't disrespect me.... but God himself who is about the opposite...
No, you didn't give me the "site". You gave me another site about finance with Chicago in the 4 spot, not a website showing Chicago as the 4th most powerful global city, which is what I'm objecting to. So no, you haven't corrected your mistake--you're obfuscating now. It's not an accusation of fabrication if it's true. You lied, bruh.

And you're being insulted because you clearly attacked first, with no provocation (i.e. Where's Philly?). Don't dish it out if you can't take it. And I usually do skip over your posts, as they're largely incomprehensible messes, but that was just an obvious fabrication leaping from the screen. Had to say something, cheerleader.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:27 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,389,117 times
It seems like LAX has more gang activity as a whole, but those in Chicago are a lot more vicious.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:50 PM

Quote:
No, you didn't give me the "site". You gave me another site about finance with Chicago in the 4 spot, not a website showing Chicago as the 4th most powerful global city, which is what I'm objecting to. So no, you haven't corrected your mistake--you're obfuscating now. It's not an accusation of fabrication if it's true. You lied, bruh.

And you're being insulted because you clearly attacked first, with no provocation (i.e. Where's Philly?). Don't dish it out if you can't take it. And I usually do skip over your posts, as they're largely incomprehensible messes, but that was just an obvious fabrication leaping from the screen. Had to say something, cheerleader.
Did someone say Cheerleader... Oh I better not... I have a motion cheerleader smiley. But it would be called baiting.

CORRECTION..... the WRONG websight said... rather was called " The Most Powerful Cities in the World" pointing to in the actual WRONG SIGHT NYC and London on top switching places. I did type that with my list of cities with Chicago #4. I admitted the mistake. BUT THE CORRECTION Showed where Chicago was #4 at.

Really In the individual Financial list. Chicago was #3 in a couple. The Correct sights for my list are self-explanatory. I need not interject a further explanation. But for the Corrected sight and What specific aspect of Financial status. Chicago was listed #4 for. They are not again MY PROPOSALS OR PLACEMENTS.

I FABRICATED NOTHING. I MERELY MISTAKENLY PLACED A CANADIAN STATISTICAL GATHERING SIGHT. with the sight I actually already posted there for the previous listing. but the separate bulletin put out showed them all. I used in the correction. Aging I added nothing but the wrong websight.

You can continue to say my post are a mess . Again I suggest you ignore them before our responses get this thread closed. I will reserve my right to read and respond. You can skip over them. No threat to me....

And this slang ... BRUH???? Certainly is superior use of our English language.. But to say I lied WITH THAT ONE ASPECT OF MY LOOOONG POST says I was still majority accurate.
I will take it and RECANT THAT POST YOU HAVE A ISSUE WITH. AS LONG A YOU ACKNOWLGE THE REST STANDS.... DEAL?

You can have the last word on this. I won't further respond to this same accusation. Nothing more I can say.... GOOD EVENING .

Old 10-13-2015, 10:41 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,670,588 times
Wow......

Old 10-13-2015, 10:48 PM

650 posts, read 867,729 times
Gangs aren't just about murders. You have shootings, stabbings, drug trafficking, prostitution, etc.

Chicago beats LA at this. Chicago has more gangs than LA does.

Quote:
Did you know that in 2012, Illinois had the 7th lowest rate of white murder victims

In Chicago according to Wikipedia....76% Of victims 77.4% of offenders were African American, 18.3% were Hispanic (17.3% of offenders), and 5.6% were white (5.3% of offenders).

The black murder victimization rate was approximately 34 per 100,000; the Hispanic rate was 11 per 100,000, and the white rate 3 per 100,000
  • Victims of gang-related murders: 70% Black, 26% Hispanic, 3% White; 93% male. Offenders in gang-related murders: 76% African American, 20% Hispanic, 3% white; 99% male.
  • Victims of domestic-related murders: 79% African American, 10% Hispanic, 11% white.
  • Victims of armed robbery—related murders: 68% African American, 13% Hispanic, 19% white, 89% male. Offenders in armed robbery—related murders: 87% African American, 9% Hispanic, 4% white; 93% male.
I think it is not hard to note..... If White in Chicago. You are MUCH SAFER then just overall statistics. Also if you live on the North side vs. the higher crime neighborhoods of the Southside.

These were 2005 stats. But the ethnic %'s are probably the same.

And even Pittsburgh is more murderous than Chicago.

Chicago murder rate: 15.1 murders per 100,000.
Pittsburgh murder rate: 22.4 murders per 100,000.

Chicago had 931 murders in 1994. Considerably higher. Though today's rate gets no boasting.

And the murder rate has actually been dropping in Chicago. Chicago was much more violent between the 1970s-1990s.

Chicago has 2.7 million people. Average murder rate is around 16 murders per 100,000. Baghdad has a murder rate around 34 murders per 100,000.

Murder rates are up 40-70% this year in many major cities.

Summer of bloodshed as US murder rates rise

Even Houston and Dallas saw Double-Digit increases in crimes.

Old 10-14-2015, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I didn't read through this entire thread, so I may be repeating things, but I would think LA would definitely be considered more of a gang capital than Chicago. In LA, the gangs (or at least gang culture) are definitely more pervasive. I remember when I visited a friend in LA, whether it be around Santa Monica or just around the strip malls you would see lots of low-riders and large groups (I don't want to say they were official gangs though).

In Chicago, partly due to our weather and the fact that we are largely a public transportation city (and a city of neighborhoods), you don't see gangs around nearly as much. For example, if you are downtown or many parts of the North Side (even some nicer neighborhoods in the South and West sides), you wouldn't think Chicago had any gangs.

I just don't think we have the same magnitude of gangs as LA, and especially not if you are talking about metro level. Gang culture is really bad in certain pockets of our city, but like I said, I don't think they are nearly as pervasive as LA.
Yes this is true... you HAVE NO DRIVE BY SHOOTINGS on the NORTH SIDE as some movies glorify yet condemn Like this "Chirac", will do both. Whether a docu-drama, recreation or possibly actual. Story-lines will surely be on the innocent as the Victims are the awful result. But still the Gang scene and mentality..... has been glorified in much of the Rap scene and Movies.

The WHOLE City gets the scourge of this. The Movie coming out I HOPE does not Tarnish even more... the image of my favorite city.

Of course if you are especially African-American and live among it in these specific notorious neighborhoods. It is a MUCH MORE SAD REALITY. That would gain someone seeing it worst on earth.... especially if you know its terrible Toll personally.
Though I would DISAGREE with someone who claims the Gang violence is Worst in Chicago. If they PERSONSONLLY Lived among it. THEIR OPINION HAS TO BE RESPECTED.

But IF IT COMES FROM POSTERS who generally demean anything on Chicago.... their opinion I take very suspiciously and not much respect...
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalballmagic View Post
Gangs aren't just about murders. You have shootings, stabbings, drug trafficking, prostitution, etc.

Chicago beats LA at this. Chicago has more gangs than LA does.
I won't deny your opinion here... because it may come by personal experience with it. BUT MY STATISTICS %s show ... IF WHITE IN CHICAGO YOU ARE FAR SAFER THEN OVERALL STATISTICS.

But t don't think statistics place Chicago as having more Gangs then LA Metro.... The Suburbs in Chicago have little Gang violence... LA HAS LARGE SUBURBS KNOWN FOR GANGS TOO.... Guns are the weapon of choice today. You really would only hear of knives used by teens in street confrontations.... and Drugs and Prostitution is not unique to Chicago. But DRUGS are the bread and butter of the Gang scene... most victims aside from the innocent bystanders but for revenge upon families. Is because of DRUGS Buyers and Sellers. I will let other post answer by their opinions...
Quote:
Los Angeles as a city, County & Socal as a region is way more gang infested than Chicago, From San Diego to Long beach & Compton, Los Angeles is gang central from all tha hispanic gang members from Mexico & El Salvador,Even San Bernardino has a gang problem & thats right besides Los Angeles . Chicago has more of an organized crime culture than Gang banging.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
^ well I think everyone knows that the nort side and central areas of the city are quite safe and the homicide rate for whites (and asians) overall is very very low, something like 2 per 100,0000 - but that doesn't discount the fact that the 1/3 of the people living in the high crime areas of the city don't have it really bad.
I think the White Gang/Mafia Culture of the Pre-Great Depression Era. Was more city-wide and in Downtown. Irish and Italian Gangs and others were notorious then. Capone was a ex-New Yorker they forced out to bless Chicago and Tarnish it forever..... The Depression did the most to end White Ethnic Gangs then WW 2 sealed its fate. The Mafia was more a Professional Organization then STREET-THUG mentality and Turf wars that continued.

Chicago STILL GREW INTO A VIBRANT TRUELY AMERICN CITY through the 50s till Radical Racial change from large influx of Southern African-Americans. Changed Chicago forever and the Radical 60s with Rampant White-Flight changed the city tremendously.

Fast forward to Today and we have what THESE posters say....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChicagoan View Post
Chicago Is The Bloodiest City In U.S ..L.A Has Way more Gangs While Chicago Has 6 Gangs Doing All The Killings In The City Plus All Chicago Gangs Were Made In Chicago ..Some Gangs in L.A Migrated . The gangs Mainly Controlling Chicago Are -black Stones,Mcs -Gangster Disciples -Black Disciples - Vice Lords,4ch -Latin Kings -&Satan Disciples ...The Reason No Bloods Or Crips n chicago is because They was Influenced by 2 chicago Gangs . Crips culture came from Gangster Disciples and Blood Cultures Come from Black P Stones .. Google Jeff Fort & Larry Hoover The Too Most Powerful Black Gang Leaders In America
Quote:
Los Angeles by far has the most popular gangs known nationwide and worldwide.
Chicago been a mob city since the al capone days and is more organized crime than gang banging .

Los Angeles is not bad as before due to being the most gang controlled city in america , gang injunctions and not having a big black population like in the 80s or 90s . Where in Chicago and the midwest is still heavily black populated.

Idk where some people get Chicago having more gang members from cause Los Angeles is way more bigger than Chicago and So cal as a whole has more people than Illinois by itself, alot of false numbers in that Chicago gang book that had bloods and surenos part of Chicago gang population ......

Here's official numbers from the latest fbi gang assessment
California County News: New FBI Stats: Two CA Counties Rank 1st and 3rd in the Nation for Most Gang Members

Old 10-14-2015, 12:43 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,579,676 times
First, stop with all the caps, bolds and underlining. It makes your point hard to understand, more or less take seriously.

Second, you don't think there are drive by shootings in the north side? Ever been to Uptown?

And third, I dont know how well you really know LA or Chicago - honestly, your writing is hard to follow - but rest assured LA in the last fifteen years has had tremendous momentum that we in Chicago wish we could mirror. That isn't to say Chicago is a dump so don't take criticism too personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City