Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2012, 07:12 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times

Advertisements

Not to make a big deal, but the lack of food trucks in Chicago *is* kind of annoying b/c the food truck scene has taken the nation by storm, and... they are pretty cool actually. I'm quite sure there is some kind of conspiracy in downtown Chicago to make it more "corporate" feeling... as you will still see some street vendors in the outer neighborhoods and they dont' mess with them. For such a foodie city, I'm surprised this continues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 07:22 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
So you find LA compelling because you can go to film studios, look at palm trees, explore canyons and visit "world famous suburban areas". And others might like to take a river walk amidst stunning skyscrapers, hang out on the beach without leaving downtown, visit a bahai temple or world class aquarium, or check out Chicago's world famous neighborhoods. Neither is less compelling than the other and each one offers a unique experience different from anything you find in NY.

Is Chicago more similar to NY than LA? Yes. Does that mean there are no compelling reasons to visit Chicago if you've been to NY? No. That's like saying there is no compelling reason to visit London if you've been to Paris.

I hope that answers your question.
I'm not saying that people shouldn't bother visiting Chicago, I guess if you ask any international tourist...if they could visit only two cities in the US, distance was no barrier, what would they be? You would get NYC on most lists, and then they'd say things like NYC and SF, NYC and LA, NYC and Miami. Few would say NYC and Chicago. I hope that makes you understand my point.

Aquariums, bahai temples, and Chicago's nabes can be found anywhere in the NYC. Again, you haven't presented me with anything Chi-town has except a big lake that NYC cannot match. Sears/Willis Tower? Sure it's a little taller than the ESB but the ESB is similar enough and much more handsome. And soon the Freedom Tower will exceed anything in Chicago.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
You embarrass yourself and I hope more forumers get into calling you out on having never been to most places and having these cute yet annoying little generalizations. You haven't ever been to Chicago or Toronto, I've lived in one ( TOR) and visited the other many times (CHI), so I can talk about them.

Listen closely Moderator cut: personal you're asking what makes Chicago unique? Then try naming another city (that you know of) where the downtown has urban beaches. Navy Pier and that dock near the south loop which has one of the largest concentrations of boat fleets in our country make Chicago unique. Especially for summer (water) sporting activities by day and a great urban canyon experience by dusk, hand in hand adjacent to one another. Its the best combination of urban living with coastal attributes that i can think of. There are very few cities in this country that have a core as attractive as Chicago, actually only NYC surpasses it, SF is the only place that can tie it. this won't matter to you, you care more about the portable toilet that Benjamin Franklin took a dump in than attractive unique urban settings. Says more about you than it does of how unique Chicago is or isn't.
I've sent a DM to you, but you definitely overstepped the boundaries by revealing my full name on a public board. There wasn't any place for it, nor do I see what good purpose you had doing background checks on me and then posting my full name.

That aside...yes, Chicago isn't a BAD place, I'm just caught up in the whole 'uniqueness' thing. I think most people will agree LA offers a lot more that NYC doesn't than Chicago. Doesn't make Chicago a bad place, just makes LA more different than Chicago.

Last edited by nei; 06-01-2012 at 07:46 PM..

Old 06-01-2012, 07:30 PM

69 posts, read 102,487 times
LOL. If he knew your real name, then you must have revealed it yourself on the board at some point in time. Which means anyone could have searched your post history and found out your real name themself if they wanted to. So what are you so upset about?

Old 06-01-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
You make some good points. Whenever someone makes a claim about LA's importance it always goes to population. We are big! But population alone is not dispositive. There are countless examples of large cities around the world that are not very important (or exciting), and vice versa.

LA is big but doesn't fell big unless you spend the whole day driving around it. No place in LA gives you a "wow" feeling like you get in Manhattan, large European cities or in the Loop. It doesn't have an impressive downtown, a good PT system, or especially dense and vibrant neighborhoods for an urban area of 10m+. That doesn't mean that LA isn't a great or important city. It has its own strengths. But the notion that it is on a whole different level from Chicago is without merit. In some categories it is ahead and in some behind. The global rankings clearly reflect that.
As far as overall GDP goes SoCal blows away Chicagoland away. That doesn't make Chicago the city INFERIOR, but you can't negate the fact LA has a FAR larger cultural and economic contribution to the US than Chicago. But this isn't a Chicago vs LA thread.

As I said in my OP, I'll pick Philadelphia because it simply interests me the most of the three. I was point out that both Chicago and Toronto - much younger cities - lack anything qualitatively that would set them apart from any other 'big city.' Some like to insist on Chicago's uniqueness...Not being unique isn't always a bad thing, people, don't act like Chicago is a truly unique city like LA, SF, NOLA, DC just to fight the Chicago vs NYC or Chicago vs LA battle.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
LOL. If he knew your real name, then you must have revealed it yourself on the board at some point in time. Which means anyone could have searched your post history and found out your real name themself if they wanted to. So what are you so upset about?
I have revealed my first name I think one a couple of occasions, but NEVER my last name, which is kind of weird/distinct. Which makes me think he must've googled me or searched my moniker 'Trimac20.' I use this for a lot of accounts. No law against googling sometimes username, but I think there is something in the TOS somewhere that prohibits somebody from revealing another's full name without their permission.

I'm not paranoid or anything, I just feel it's a bit of a violation to do so.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm not saying that people shouldn't bother visiting Chicago, I guess if you ask any international tourist...if they could visit only two cities in the US, distance was no barrier, what would they be? You would get NYC on most lists, and then they'd say things like NYC and SF, NYC and LA, NYC and Miami. Few would say NYC and Chicago. I hope that makes you understand my point.

Aquariums, bahai temples, and Chicago's nabes can be found anywhere in the NYC. Again, you haven't presented me with anything Chi-town has except a big lake that NYC cannot match. Sears/Willis Tower? Sure it's a little taller than the ESB but the ESB is similar enough and much more handsome. And soon the Freedom Tower will exceed anything in Chicago.
Could it be that you are looking at it from the perspective of an international tourist? It is true that Chicago and NYC *do* share some similarities between each other... if one is looking for a wide range of "america"... and has a short amount of time, it might be harder to put Chicago on that list.

BUT... that also means, if given the opportunity... somebody could go to Chicago *instead* of NYC if they had the ample opportunity, by the same logic.

I do think Chicago is a fine city to visit, but I understand where you are coming from as an international traveler myself. When I travel... I try to go to the more exotic locales if given the opportunity... or things that are quite DIFFERENT than something I have already experienced. It's more interesting in that regard. It's probably why I've explored a lot of Continental Europe for instance, at the sake of exploring more of the UK/Canada/Australia... as I see latter as more similar to something I already know... where as somewhere like Italy or Romania is a bigger contrast.

Like wise, New Orleans or Los Angeles would be a bigger contrast from NYC than Chicago would be.
Also if you are planning a trip and want to see "major" cities, it would probably be more opportune to hit up cities in the "area" hence where the NE becomes advantageous as one can experience more cities in a closer range and time...
Likewise, the 3 CA major cities along with what CA offers would probably be the #2 Choice. I could even see going to the Florida cities or along the gulf or the Pac NW as well as a tourist before I hit up the Midwest.

Last edited by grapico; 06-01-2012 at 07:53 PM..

Old 06-01-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Could it be that you are looking at it from the perspective of an international tourist? It is true that Chicago and NYC *do* share some similarities between each other... if one is looking for a wide range of "america"... and has a short amount of time, it might be harder to put Chicago on that list.

BUT... that also means, if given the opportunity... somebody could go to Chicago *instead* of NYC if they had the ample opportunity, by the same logic.
Your last point is very valid. Someone might prefer Chicago because it's more 'authentically' American in their eyes or because they love electric blues. Of course they're a minority, but not EVERYONE is hopelessly in love with NYC.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:56 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,923,182 times
I've only read the last two pages of this thread - looks like I haven't missed much. I'm going to ask to be made "Not a Member" - tired of all the ridiculous arguing, and people thinking their opinion matters more than your own. Really?

Old 06-01-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Your last point is very valid. Someone might prefer Chicago because it's more 'authentically' American in their eyes or because they love electric blues. Of course they're a minority, but not EVERYONE is hopelessly in love with NYC.
Indeed it is valid, it is why when I wanted the big city urban experience, Chicago was a much easier move for me to go to, though I had originally wanted to move to NYC after college. Not that Chicago is the same... or, that is a "mini NYC" ... but it does offer the next best "Big city urban experience" in the U.S. IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City