Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is overall better?
Montreal, QC 180 59.60%
San Francisco, CA 122 40.40%
Voters: 302. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 12:57 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times

Advertisements

Montreal has a much higher population due to the recent amalgamations on the island. When it comes to the metropolitan area, SF is substantially larger. When it comes to city core, the two are pretty close. They are both pretty packed though I felt Montreal was better overall. Montreal doesn't have a big of a swell of daytime commuters, a smaller metro, height restrictions, and pretty great preservation so it will not win the skyscraper battle ever which is alright if the exchange is better presrvation.

Montreal does have the far better transit system though which is substantially better than the much larger Bay Area's and it does make getting around as a visitor pretty great.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:02 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,880,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
that's nice, but SF still is more densely populated and feels more packed.
Have you been to Montreal? Montreal is more packed in the summer while SF is more during winter.
Montreal also has much warmer summers.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:07 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
Have you been to Montreal? Montreal is more packed in the summer while SF is more during winter.
Montreal also has much warmer summers.
Yes, I have been, its lovely.

But San Francisco is still more packed in summer, and winter.

And that really shouldnt come as a shock since SF has 16 million visitors while Montreal has 7 million.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
It seems like an awesome city to visit. It reminds me of Philly for some reason though....at least the layout of the city does.
You should give it a visit. Montreal wasn't really on my radar at all until I moved to NYC where I met someone who raved about it. I loved pretty much everything about it, though I've never had to live through an entire winter up there.

Old 08-31-2013, 02:49 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:
That's you. Most people would know it's SF quite easily

Even in random pics, SF is extremely unique and easy to recognize.
Nope. This could be a modern section of some city in southern France. SF is recognizable if you see the Golden Gate, the Transamerica Pyramid, cable cars on hilly streets, or those beautiful rowhouses on hilly streets.

But not through pics like these.

For the record, much of Montreal has rowhouses with outdoor spiralling staircases. To anyone who's been in the city any random photo of them would be instantly recognizable as Montreal.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Nope. This could be a modern section of some city in southern France. SF is recognizable if you see the Golden Gate, the Transamerica Pyramid, cable cars on hilly streets, or those beautiful rowhouses on hilly streets.

But not through pics like these.

For the record, much of Montreal has rowhouses with outdoor spiralling staircases. To anyone who's been in the city any random photo of them would be instantly recognizable as Montreal.
No, San Francisco"s aesthetic is extremely familiar to many people around the world, and most travelers--you can choose to think otherwise, but I'll stick to my personal experiences traveling everywhere.

And thank you for saying that pic could be somewhere in the South of France as SF in many ways exudes an almost palpable joie de vivre, more so than Montreal imo, despite the greater French connection to Montreal. SF is food and wine concious, very cultured very live-and-let-live, very worldly and cosmopolitan, and an absolute pleasure to visit and an even bigger pleasure to live near.

As far as spiraled staircases in Montreal, Im sure theyre lovely but aa far as visual association, colorful victorians are just wayyy more associated with SF than anything similar in Montreal, not even close.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:11 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,207,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
I have been to both San Francisco and Montreal this year (San Francisco in January and Montreal in early July). Both are great cities but Montreal definitely had more buzz and felt like a bigger, busier city. The city center was a beehive of activity day and night, which was particularly impressive given that there is essentially a parallel city running underground. Having also been to Chicago this year, I must rank Montreal as the second most vibrant city in North America (ex Mexico). My only caveat is that I have not been to Toronto in many years so don't know how it compares today.
Or as a certain SF booster will say, people living like gophers LOL

Old 08-31-2013, 03:31 PM

I dunno where all of this^ is coming from, but get it all out hun.

#hugs

Old 08-31-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
No, San Francisco"s aesthetic is extremely familiar to many people around the world, and most travelers--you can choose to think otherwise, but I'll stick to my personal experiences traveling everywhere.

And thank you for saying that pic could be somewhere in the South of France as SF in many ways exudes an almost palpable joie de vivre, more so than Montreal imo, despite the greater French connection to Montreal. SF is food and wine concious, very cultured very live-and-let-live, very worldly and cosmopolitan, and an absolute pleasure to visit and an even bigger pleasure to live near.

As far as spiraled staircases in Montreal, Im sure theyre lovely but aa far as visual association, colorful victorians are just wayyy more associated with SF than anything similar in Montreal, not even close.
Maybe colorful victorians will catch a pretty good number (nowhere near majority for anyone outside of the US though, and unlikely for within) for San Francisco, but the two pictures you posted aren't really all that populated with recognizable colorful victorians especially from those angles where you aren't directly seeing the facades.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:59 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:

So I guess that settles it - San Francisco is probably even more ''French'' (whatever that means) than Montreal.

I wonder what's up next? San Francisco has better outdoor ice rinks? More White Christmases? More Stanley Cup? More maple syrup producers within a one-hour radius of Market Street?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City