Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is overall better?
Montreal, QC 180 59.60%
San Francisco, CA 122 40.40%
Voters: 302. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 08:42 AM

354 posts, read 681,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Which reminds me, someone rec me some purportedly good shows from Quebec. And maybe a place to stream them (I have a proxy for Canada, so that's not an issue).
I would like to know the same if the quality of those shows are as good as the films coming out of Quebec from the past couple of decades or so

Old 10-28-2013, 08:44 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:

It doesn't seem like you'd be familiar enough with Montreal to really be commenting on this. Right?
Hahahaha My latest project is putting together a prospectus for a foreign company I've never heard of which serves a demographic I am very unfamiliar with and I'll probably get everything right with a degree of accuracy of 98%, at least.

Dissecting the viewing habits of Quebec is a bathroom break by comparison.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:44 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fikatid View Post
I would like to know the same if the quality of those shows are as good as the films coming out of Quebec from the past couple of decades or so
The honest answer (for most of them anyway) is no.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:46 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Hahahaha My latest project is putting together a prospectus for a foreign company I've never heard of which serves a demographic I am very unfamiliar with and I'll probably get everything right with a degree of accuracy of 98%, at least.

That's great, but then why were your comments on Quebecois viewing habits so far off? It's alright though, honestly, most of the shows I saw weren't very good. I especially tried to like Les Bobos because of a friend who thought it was hilarious. No dice

Old 10-28-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
What's wrong with the spread? The US has the same thing, too. It's because not everyone watches television and not everyone who watches television will be watching the same programs. 1.6 million viewers out of 8 million is a pretty high ratio for a single show (compare that with the average viewership ratios for US shows). The anglophone population in Quebec is a pretty small minority, so the English language programs aren't going to factor in so much.

Which reminds me, someone rec me some purportedly good shows from Quebec. And maybe a place to stream them (I have a proxy for Canada, so that's not an issue).
www.tou.tv is probably the best site for decent shows. Not accessible outside Canada AFAIK but your proxy might work.

Better shows that might be on there (some are taken off or added periodically) would be:

Minuit le soir
La galère
Les Parent
C.A.
Les Rescapés
19-2
Unité 9
Mauvais karma
Mémoires vives
Les Invincibles (Quebec version is better than French version)
Tout le monde en parle (talk show for the chattering classes)

Some which are not available on tou.tv can be seen on youtube.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:53 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fikatid View Post
What good films aside from Denys Arcand works are you referring to? I'm curious.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

Well good luck with East Timor but with our part of the world you're really off the mark.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
What good films aside from Denys Arcand works are you referring to? I'm curious.
I don't want to answer for our Swedish friend, but Quebec has had a finalist for the best foreign film Oscar three years in a row.

None of them was by Denys Arcand:

Rebelle
Monsieur Lazhar
Incendies

There is a new film called Gabrielle which could be in the running as well.

Some other good films in recent years were La Grande Séduction, C.R.A.Z.Y., Maëlstrom, or for lighter comedy Starbuck and De Père en flic were pretty good. Also Les Trois Petits Cochons was pretty good.

You can see trailers for all of these by pasting the titles into youtube.

EDIt: Les 3 p'**** cochons

Old 10-28-2013, 09:03 AM

354 posts, read 681,726 times
Quote:
That is too bad! Films from Quebec has been making their way to some cinema releases here and they are generally very interesting! Thought it may be the same case for television.

I am a big fan of C.R.A.Z.Y. and saw Jean-Marc Vallée's latest film earlier and quite liked it as well. And of course Denys Arcand's films. And Xavior Dolan's films reminds me so much of the French New wave cinema. I like that in many of these films Montreal has been a big character i enjoyed them quite a bit

Old 10-28-2013, 09:03 AM

15 posts, read 81,415 times
In terms of architecture, Montclair claims there are no iconic buildings in Montreal recognized worldwide. There are plenty.
Habitat 67, The Biosphere, the Olympic Stadium, Place Ville-Marie, St Joseph's Oratory are pretty well-known at large.
San Francisco has an architectural flair no doubt that is undeniable but not wholly specific to it. I mean you can find the lovely clapboard Gingerbreads in other contexts, but the hilly landscape helps to define it. Montreal has a number of very specific set s of vernacular architecture due to its mix of french and anglo/scots influences. The grey and brownstone mansions of Montreal can put most of the pineclad cuties of San Francisco to shame. The spiral staircase vernacular is also instantly recognized by many worldwide. The importance here is in finding the right balance between actual media interpretation and dissemination versus imagination and personality. Apart from Transamerica tower and Coit's tower + da golden span, San Fran doesnt ring much more worldwide than Montreal does. San Francisco is a great city, one with grave disparities between rich and poor and very little in the way of bridging or narrowing this gap. Montreal with all its faults and there are many (namely endemic corruption) has a truly socially minded populace, and a more collegial social agenda.

Acajack is very astute in his comments about Montreal and Quebec's difference on the North American stage. Firstly, Quebec could not have survived without the channels of self expression it chose to open for itself. The result is that Montreal has set the table for a rich artistic community especially in film production that transcends the platitudes of Hollywood iconicism dropped on all cities far and wide. Local productions attract worldwide acclaim because of this resistance to standard issue drama. Montreal's main difficulty is in breaking out of a certain isolationism created by its
ambivalence in terms of identity. It is a very disjointed but potent place because the power struggle is very real between the anglo and franco cultures. This has been going on for 250 years, and frankly, I wouldnt trade the cosmopolitan melting pot of Montreal for the pastel crucible of San Francisco. And another thing, there are probably more francophone Montrealers speaking spanish than anglos in San Francisco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City