Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is better?
Pacific Northwest 50 70.42%
Deep South 21 29.58%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 04:22 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The Pacific Northwest includes:
Rate these regions based on the following criteria:
Economy --- Cost of living is certainly less in the South, but I think that the economy is better in the PNW.
History --- The south wins if you're talking historic structures. All around history? It's equal, but different.
Natural scenery --- PNW hands down.
Urbanness --- PNW
Education --- Statistics show that people in the PNW are better educated than in the south. So I'll have to go with that.
Museums --- Kind of a draw. Believe me, I'm a museum devotee. And there's not really anything in either region to make one a winner over the other.
Public transportation --- PNW
Weather --- This is a tough one. But I have to go with the PNW. I hate the hot, humid summers of the south. And then there's the tropical storm season ...
Food --- This is another tough one. I love the food of Louisiana, and Southern food in general has much to recommend it. But I hate fried food, and there's an abundance of that in the south. I'd miss all the Asian foods that the PNW has, and the fresh farm food, the crabs (Dungeness), clams (razor), the salmon. So for my tastes, the PNW wins.
Proximity to other regions --- both are in a corner of the US. It would seem that they're both equally near "other regions." And as always, I don't think that how fast you can get out of one place to somewhere that is perceived as being "better" is any recommendation for that place.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:16 PM

811 posts, read 1,054,122 times
Economy: Atlanta trumps any city in the Pacific Northwest. While the Pacific Northwest has Seattle (3.5 million) and Portland (2.0 million), the "Deep South" has Atlanta (5.7 million), Greenville-Spartanburg (1.2 million), Birmingham (1.1 million, New Orleans (1.2 million). Vancouver isn't the Pacific Northwest, and if it's included, then we need to add Florida, of which it isn't any contest. Since there's a correlation of economic activity with population, the Deep South wins

By the way, the Deep South is home to Coca-Cola, CNN, the Weather Channel, TBS, TNT, Boomerang, Cartoon Network, TCM, HLN, as well as Home Depot, Delta Airlines, UPS, Holiday Inn.

History: Deep South (Civil War History, Revolutionary War History, Colonial History, "Civil Rights" History, Olympic Games)

Deep South wins

Natural Scenery: I'll give this to the Pacific Northwest, though the Deep South has mountains, swamps, hills, beautiful beaches, and forests.

Pacific Northwest wins

Urbanness: Tie (Atlanta is more urban than any city in the Pacific Northwest, not in a density definition of urban, but in a built-out area definition of urban. The Deep South is far more populated, whereas most people in the Pacific Northwest live in isolated pockets.

Education: Higher Education- Deep South; public schools; tie (test score differences given different demographic components accounts for differences in a feeling of what is a "good school". Most people simply don't realize that, however.

Deep South wins

Museums: Tie

Public Transportation: Tie (Atlanta has heavy rail)

Weather: Deep South; not even close

Food: Deep South wins

Proximity to other regions: Deep South easily

Old 06-08-2013, 08:50 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,460,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
Economy: Atlanta trumps any city in the Pacific Northwest. While the Pacific Northwest has Seattle (3.5 million) and Portland (2.0 million), the "Deep South" has Atlanta (5.7 million), Greenville-Spartanburg (1.2 million), Birmingham (1.1 million, New Orleans (1.2 million). Vancouver isn't the Pacific Northwest, and if it's included, then we need to add Florida, of which it isn't any contest. Since there's a correlation of economic activity with population, the Deep South wins

By the way, the Deep South is home to Coca-Cola, CNN, the Weather Channel, TBS, TNT, Boomerang, Cartoon Network, TCM, HLN, as well as Home Depot, Delta Airlines, UPS, Holiday Inn.

History: Deep South (Civil War History, Revolutionary War History, Colonial History, "Civil Rights" History, Olympic Games)

Deep South wins

Natural Scenery: I'll give this to the Pacific Northwest, though the Deep South has mountains, swamps, hills, beautiful beaches, and forests.

Pacific Northwest wins

Urbanness: Tie (Atlanta is more urban than any city in the Pacific Northwest, not in a density definition of urban, but in a built-out area definition of urban. The Deep South is far more populated, whereas most people in the Pacific Northwest live in isolated pockets.

Education: Higher Education- Deep South; public schools; tie (test score differences given different demographic components accounts for differences in a feeling of what is a "good school". Most people simply don't realize that, however.

Deep South wins

Museums: Tie

Public Transportation: Tie (Atlanta has heavy rail)

Weather: Deep South; not even close

Food: Deep South wins

Proximity to other regions: Deep South easily
As explained earlier in this thread, the pacific northwest region does include Vancouver and parts of BC. Also all the TV stations you listed are own by Turner Brocasting Systems which as actually owned by Time-Warner. The GDP is 268 Billion is Atlanta to Seattle's 240, and with Atlanta Metro being much more populated I would say Seattle is ahead Having Companies like Microsoft, REI, Strong hold of boeing activity, Amazon, Starbucks, Costco, Weyerhauser, Nordstroms, and other tech companies. Portland has a GDP on 140 billion while New Orleans and Birmingham combine are only 120 Billion. More people does not mean better economy as the Northwest states actually receive less federal tax money then they pay while most of the South except Georgia receives more then they pay. Washington also has the Highest Minimum wage in america, or atleast used to for awhile. And I would include Olympic games as a real historical event yet, maybe 50 years from now. Lastly your thoughts about Good schools confuse me. Seattle is the most educated city in america and portland is top 10. Seattle area has some of the best public school districts and Portland is strong education aswell. A good school is a good school in america. It doesn't change by region just how you perceive the Data.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:35 AM

The south doesn't even have exclusivity on the Olympic Games. Vancouver was a host city, after all. And there have been several World's Fairs, World Expos, etc., in various cities.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
As explained earlier in this thread, the pacific northwest region does include Vancouver and parts of BC.
It is not part of the United States, whereas Florida, part of the Deep South, is not included? That makes sense. Even then, I didn't include it, but likewise omitted Vancouver, of which isn't even part of this country, nor does it function and interact with the rest of the northwest, just like Washington and Oregon do.

Quote:
Also all the TV stations you listed are own by Turner Brocasting Systems which as actually owned by Time-Warner.
The Weather Channel is based in Atlanta. It is not part of Turner Broadcasting.

Furthermore, yes, Turner was acquired by Time Warner, but Turner Broadcasting itself is based in Atlanta. There's a large building on the downtown connector, of which every program on TBS, TNT, Cartoon Network, Boomerang, and TCM are broadcast.

Quote:
The GDP is 268 Billion is Atlanta to Seattle's 240, and with Atlanta Metro being much more populated I would say Seattle is ahead Having Companies like Microsoft, REI, Strong hold of boeing activity, Amazon, Starbucks, Costco, Weyerhauser, Nordstroms, and other tech companies. Portland has a GDP on 140 billion while New Orleans and Birmingham combine are only 120 Billion.
You also have Charleston, Greenville-Spartanburg, Columbia, Myrtle Beach, Augusta, Savannah, Columbus, Macon, Huntsville, Montgomery, Mobile, Jackson, Gulf coastal areas of Gulf Shores, Orange Beach, Biloxi, and Gulf Port, as well as Monroe, Shreveport, Lake Charles, and Baton Rouge. An additional 18 areas of significant population.

The Pacific Northwest has the Seattle area, Tacoma and Olympia, Spokanne, while Oregon has Portland, Salem, and Eugene. That's it. Six cities to over twenty? The Deep South clearly has the bigger economy.

Quote:
More people does not mean better economy as the Northwest states actually receive less federal tax money then they pay while most of the South except Georgia receives more then they pay.
Blame the federal government, then.

Quote:
Washington also has the Highest Minimum wage in america, or atleast used to for awhile.
Minimum wage doesn't account for much when you're dealing with billions of dollars. Corporate Revenue has more to do with it.

Quote:
And I would include Olympic games as a real historical event yet, maybe 50 years from now.
History is history. The Olympic games are a big historical event. It is part of Atlanta's history. You can include the 1990 Goodwill games if you'd like.

Quote:
Lastly your thoughts about Good schools confuse me. Seattle is the most educated city in america and portland is top 10. Seattle area has some of the best public school districts and Portland is strong education aswell. A good school is a good school in america. It doesn't change by region just how you perceive the Data.
The Deep South has a greater concentration of universities, and good ones at that.

My comment about public schools is this: Pretty much most public schools these days have the same measures for teacher quality. All teachers have to go through the same hoops as set forth by the state. Thus, the training that led to them being certified isn't going to change much from place to place. We tend to measure schools on test results. However, this is a flawed system, for it assumes that all students in all places come from the same background, or that they are of the same group. It's no surprise that whites and Asians outperform blacks and Hispanics. As a whole, the south has a much, much higher percentage of blacks, so it's going to perform more "poorly" as an aggregate on standardized tests given demographic realities. It isn't a reflection of teacher quality, the schools themselves, or the instructional quality. You can teach a class and get thirty different scores. Student background and, yes, even the demographic component of the students does play a role. However, home-life plays a significant role. Those students who have a good home life are going to exceed, and exceed well in any school, barring disruptive students. You could take some of the highest exceeding students from the northwest, and they'd exceed the same here in the South. Why? It's because the schools, by and large, are of the same quality, though test results of the student populations as a whole may not bear this out. Therefore, test results of students in the northwest are higher than they are in the South.

If you want to speak of school districts, the South has some excellent schools, as measured by student test results (remember, however, they're no better, instructional-wise, than the school whose students are performing less well). According to these criteria, many schools in the northern suburbs of Atlanta are nationally ranked (in the same school districts as some of the worst performing schools. Gee, how could that be if the county districts have the SAME qualifications for teachers in their districts. It's because it has nothing to do with school quality, but it is a reflection of the background and homelife of the students).

Old 06-09-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
You also have Charleston, Greenville-Spartanburg, Columbia, Myrtle Beach, Augusta, Savannah, Columbus, Macon, Huntsville, Montgomery, Mobile, Jackson, Gulf coastal areas of Gulf Shores, Orange Beach, Biloxi, and Gulf Port, as well as Monroe, Shreveport, Lake Charles, and Baton Rouge. An additional 18 areas of significant population.

The Pacific Northwest has the Seattle area, Tacoma and Olympia, Spokanne, while Oregon has Portland, Salem, and Eugene. That's it. Six cities to over twenty? The Deep South clearly has the bigger economy.
Lol.

Using your criteria (the list of significant population areas in the south) there are forty-three cities in Washington with a larger population than the smallest on your list, twenty-one in Oregon and twelve in Idaho. Oh, and twenty-two in British Columbia ... but you've declared that it doesn't "interact" with the rest of the northwest. I'll let all those people who live on one side of the border and work on the other, who transport goods back and forth daily, etc., that what they're doing isn't interacting.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:33 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,460,459 times
Quote:

20 what? Twenty Thousand People? You know the only state in the deep south that has a larger population is Georgia. You failed to mention the tri-Cities which together are over 200,000, Yakima Which Population will soon pass 100,000 (some think is is already larger with unaccounted illegal immigrants), Bellingham, Wenatchee, etc All areas of significant populations that function by themselves. You forgot to even mention Boise whose Metro is up and coming and have a fortune 500 company based there, Moscow-Pullman area which has University of Idaho is Moscow and 3 miles over Washington State University in Pullman. You underestimate the northwest. Tri-Cities are some of the fastest growing cities in america and they are in the literal middle of nowhere!

Old 06-09-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Lol.

Using your criteria (the list of significant population areas in the south) there are forty-three cities in Washington with a larger population than the smallest on your list, twenty-one in Oregon and twelve in Idaho. Oh, and twenty-two in British Columbia ... but you've declared that it doesn't "interact" with the rest of the northwest. I'll let all those people who live on one side of the border and work on the other, who transport goods back and forth daily, etc., that what they're doing isn't interacting.
Metro areas, not individual municipalities.

Metros:

Washington:

Seattle
Tacoma/Olympia
Spokanne
Tri-Cities
Yakima

Oregon:

Portland
Salem
Eugene
Medford (really too small)

9, at most

Georgia:

Atlanta
Augusta
Savannah
Macon
Columbus
Albany
Valdosta
Rome
Dalton
Brunswick
Athens

South Carolina:

Columbia
Greenville-Spartanburg
Myrtle Beach
Florence
Charleston

Alabama:

Birmingham
Mobile
Montgomery
Huntsville
Tuscaloosa
Auburn-Opelika
Anniston-Oxford
Gadsden
Decatur

Mississippi:

Jackson
Meridian
Gulfport-Biloxi
Hattiesburg

Louisiana:

New Orleans
Baton Rouge
Monroe
Lake Charles
Shreveport
Alexandria
Lafayette

35. I originally listed the most significant metros, but since you want to look at things with a biased lens, it's clear that the Deep South wins in this area.

Old 06-09-2013, 04:27 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
I really like Atlanta so ill pick deep south.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Metro areas, not individual municipalities.
35. I originally listed the most significant metros, but since you want to look at things with a biased lens, it's clear that the Deep South wins in this area.
Really?

Yeah, the south wins. In the category of a bunch of little towns crammed up against each other. Woo hoo.

And bias? Sure, I prefer the NW. But I'm not the one who declared one entire state/province "not part of the PNW." That's a bias.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City