Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is better?
Pacific Northwest 50 70.42%
Deep South 21 29.58%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 08:50 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,459,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
Metro areas, not individual municipalities.

Metros:

Washington:

Seattle
Tacoma/Olympia
Spokanne
Tri-Cities
Yakima

Oregon:

Portland
Salem
Eugene
Medford (really too small)

9, at most

Georgia:

Atlanta
Augusta
Savannah
Macon
Columbus
Albany
Valdosta
Rome
Dalton
Brunswick
Athens

South Carolina:

Columbia
Greenville-Spartanburg
Myrtle Beach
Florence
Charleston

Alabama:

Birmingham
Mobile
Montgomery
Huntsville
Tuscaloosa
Auburn-Opelika
Anniston-Oxford
Gadsden
Decatur

Mississippi:

Jackson
Meridian
Gulfport-Biloxi
Hattiesburg

Louisiana:

New Orleans
Baton Rouge
Monroe
Lake Charles
Shreveport
Alexandria
Lafayette

35. I originally listed the most significant metros, but since you want to look at things with a biased lens, it's clear that the Deep South wins in this area.
So Idaho isn't part of the Northwest? Your comparing 2 states to 5, ofcourse it makes the south look more impressive. Add BC, Idaho and Montana in there and its a fair comparison in terms of population. Also what does this have to do with anything anyways? The more metros somehow means its strong economically? Most of those cities have populations less then 100,000 and small metros to follow. Yes the south does have a strong industrial and Manufacturing industries, but the Northwest Has one of the largest Agriculture industries, a Forestry Industry, Huge technology industry, to mix with Large Sea ports, Manufacturing, and more. The Northwest has a more diverse economy. Very self sufficient in supporting it's own region. Ofcourse i'm alittle bias, but your stating opinions and stating them as facts. Both areas have thens that are comparable.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:16 PM

880 posts, read 2,861,428 times
Economy: Northwest has lower overall unemployment numbers.

Hisory: Longer history in deep south, especially places like Savannah and Charelston.

Natural Scenery: Doesn't get much better than the scenery in the PNW.

Urban Feel: Seattle and Portland trump most anywhere in the deep south with the exception of maybe NOLA.

Education: Universities are fairly equal but the PNW blows the deep south out of the water in public education, where the deep south has the lowest scores in the nation.

Museums: Probably fairly even.

Public Transit: PNW wins this. Atlanta has decent transit, but the big problem for the deep south is the lack of transit to practically any of the suburbs!

Weather. Northwest for me. Deep South gets way to hot and humid and add to that the severe thunderstorm and tornado threats!

Food: Both areas have their strengths here.

Proximity to other places: Depends, PNW for California and Deep South for the east coast.

I am a bit biased though. The deep south is my least favorite part of the country, just to conservative and evangelical for my tastes. I have always felt a bit out of place here.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:35 PM

811 posts, read 1,053,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
So Idaho isn't part of the Northwest? Your comparing 2 states to 5, ofcourse it makes the south look more impressive. Add BC, Idaho and Montana in there and its a fair comparison in terms of population. Also what does this have to do with anything anyways? The more metros somehow means its strong economically? Most of those cities have populations less then 100,000 and small metros to follow. Yes the south does have a strong industrial and Manufacturing industries, but the Northwest Has one of the largest Agriculture industries, a Forestry Industry, Huge technology industry, to mix with Large Sea ports, Manufacturing, and more. The Northwest has a more diverse economy. Very self sufficient in supporting it's own region. Ofcourse i'm alittle bias, but your stating opinions and stating them as facts. Both areas have thens that are comparable.
Idaho and Montana are not Pacific Northwest, but rather a part of the general northwest, just as Virginia and Tennessee aren't part of the Deep South, but they are part of the South. If we're going to be truthful, there's no reason that Florida should be removed from the lower South, geographically speaking.

I seriously don't see your reasoning. I tend to think that you're a young person who doesn't know as much about both regions as you think.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Really?

Yeah, the south wins. In the category of a bunch of little towns crammed up against each other. Woo hoo.

And bias? Sure, I prefer the NW. But I'm not the one who declared one entire state/province "not part of the PNW." That's a bias.
Crammed up against each other?

From Atlanta:

Greenville- 2.5 hours
Columbia- 3.5 hours
Myrtle Beach 5 hours
Charleston- 5 hours
Macon- 1.5 hours
Augusta- 2.5 hours
Columbus 2 hours
Savannah- 4 hours
Brunswick- 5 hours
Rome- 1 hour
Dalton-1.75 hours
Albany- 3 hours
Athens- 1.5 hours
Birmingham- 2.5 hours
Gadsden- 1.75 hours
Anniston- 1.5 hours
Huntsville- 2.75 hours
Auburn-1.5 hours
Montgomery-2.5 hours
Mobile- 5 hours
Tuscaloosa- 3.5 hours
Meridian- 4.75 hours
Jackson-5.75 hours
Gulfport-5.75 hours
Monroe- 6.75 hours
New Orleans- 7 hours
Baton Rouge- 8 hours
Shreveport- 8 hours
Lafayette- 8.75 hours
Lake Charles- 9.75 hours

Little towns (metros)?

Atlanta: 5.7 million
Birmingham- 1.2 million
New Orleans- 1.2 million
Greenville-Spartanburg- 1.2 million
Baton Rouge- 800,000
Shreveport- 600,000
Charleston- 650,000
Columbia- 700,000
Augusta- 550,000
Huntsville- 500,000
Mobile- 550,000

You have:

Seattle: 3.5 million (Seattle & Tacoma)
Portland: 2 million
Spokane: 800,000
Eugene: 400,000
Salem: 250,000

Come on. Serious?

Old 06-11-2013, 07:06 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Quote:
Idaho and Montana are not Pacific Northwest, but rather a part of the general northwest, just as Virginia and Tennessee aren't part of the Deep South, but they are part of the South. If we're going to be truthful, there's no reason that Florida should be removed from the lower South, geographically speaking.

I seriously don't see your reasoning. I tend to think that you're a young person who doesn't know as much about both regions as you think.
The Pacific Northwest is sometimes defined as just being the portions of Washington and Oregon west of the Cascades(and then Vancouver and Vancouver Island over the border, though apparently someone decided those can't be included in this thread). In which case this comparison is basically not even half the area of two states compared to five states...

Other times the term Northwest and Pacific Northwest are used interchangably--often this includes the greater Columbia River watershed stretching into Idaho and Western Montana. In terms of some regional connections, Idaho is more connected to Oregon and Washington than some other neighboring states(except for maybe Utah) due to intra-regional entitites like the Bonneville Power Administration. Culturally Eastern Oregon and Eastern Washington have a lot of links with Idaho over the border.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:14 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,140,460 times
Quote:

Okay. So let's get this right. British Columbia isn't part of the Pacific Northwest, nor is anything east of the Cascade Mountains. But everything from the east coast to beyond the Mississippi River is part of the Deep South, and you think that Florida should be included, too. Are you sure you don't want Texas?

Look, the parameters of the two regions was set by the OP. Deal with it.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Okay. So let's get this right. British Columbia isn't part of the Pacific Northwest, nor is anything east of the Cascade Mountains. But everything from the east coast to beyond the Mississippi River is part of the Deep South, and you think that Florida should be included, too.
Do you not know your regions?

The Deep South, the lower part of the South, is SC, GA, AL, MS, LA, and FL, geographically speaking. From a cultural and topographical point of view, the Deep South is central and south Georgia, all of South Carolina excluding the Upstate, eastern North Carolina, North Florida (north of Ocala), Central and South Alabama, Mississippi, southern Arkansas, Louisiana north of Cajun country, and east Texas.

I take it that you're speaking of the former defined area of the southeast.

The Pacific Northwest is Washington, Oregon, and Northern California above the Bay area. The general northwest is Washington, Oregon, Idaha, Montana, Wyoming, northern Nevada, and northern California (north of the bay area). The thread title says, "Pacific Northwest". This is a designation applied to the Pacific northwestern U.S. If you're going to add any thing to the Pacific Northwest, northern California north of the bay should be added, which could include Eureka and Redding.

However, Vancouver is not part of the U.S., and, as such, is not part of the Pacific Northwest as relating to the U.S. There are national barriers that must be overcome to including it as part of this region, though geographically it is, but not politically, which plays a large role with the geographic area not being known as the Pacific Northwest.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:12 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Quote:

The Pacific Northwest is Washington, Oregon, and Northern California above the Bay area. The general northwest is Washington, Oregon, Idaha, Montana, Wyoming, northern Nevada, and northern California (north of the bay area). The thread title says, "Pacific Northwest". This is a designation applied to the Pacific northwestern U.S. If you're going to add any thing to the Pacific Northwest, northern California north of the bay should be added, which could include Eureka and Redding.
Northern Nevada isn't part of the Northwest, Wyoming not really either. People who aren't familiar with the area lump in Northern California, but Redding or the Central Valley has nothing to do with Oregon and Washington and really neither does the North Coast until you get to Crescent City. No one in Oregon considers that area of California to be a part of the Pacific Northwest for the most part...

Just like the Southwest it's debatable what is part of the Northwest--which is basically often used interchangeably with the Pacific Northwest in the region itself... Often everything up to the Rockies is defined as the Pacific Northwest. Idaho is included more often than anywhere in Northern California or Nevada. Same with BC... People in Atlanta can take a weekend trip to Chattanooga or Birmingham, we go to Victoria or Vancouver.

Quote:
However, Vancouver is not part of the U.S., and, as such, is not part of the Pacific Northwest as relating to the U.S. There are national barriers that must be overcome to including it as part of this region, though geographically it is, but not politically, which plays a large role with the geographic area not being known as the Pacific Northwest.
That's nice. But in terms of this OP, here is the definition given for the Pacific Northwest:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The Pacific Northwest includes:

Washington
Oregon
Idaho
British Columbia
That's a fairly common definition.

So either debate the actual topic given by the OP or stop trying to write your own regional definitions...

Old 06-12-2013, 12:41 AM

623 posts, read 957,799 times
Pac. NW. Lived 30 years in the South, couldn't wait to leave. Everything is better in the NW. I do know folks who love the Deep South though and will never leave. Home is home, I suppose.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:32 AM

318 posts, read 950,349 times
Quote:
Urbanness: Tie (Atlanta is more urban than any city in the Pacific Northwest, not in a density definition of urban, but in a built-out area definition of urban. The Deep South is far more populated, whereas most people in the Pacific Northwest live in isolated pockets.
I'm not sure if you're trying to troll here, but do you seriously think that "urban" can be defined as straight population? Atlanta is notorious for its sprawl-- AKA lots of people living at very low densities. "Built-out" maybe, but hardly a definition of "urban."

Vancouver is 4 times denser than Atlanta and is a far more urban city. This isn't even up for discussion.

Quote:
Education: Higher Education- Deep South; public schools; tie (test score differences given different demographic components accounts for differences in a feeling of what is a "good school". Most people simply don't realize that, however.
Would you mind actually listing some universities to back up your opinion that the Deep South trumps PNW in higher education? Both University of Washington and University of British Columbia come ahead of the closest university in the south (GA Tech) in at least three major rankings (US News, Guardian, Times Higher Ed [only reputation rankings, GA Tech beats UBC by a hair in university rankings]).

Quote:
Public Transportation: Tie (Atlanta has heavy rail)
Just because Atlanta has heavy rail, it's a tie? Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver all have rail rapid transit systems. A quick comparison of average weekday ridership-- MARTA carries approximately 400,000, Seattle agencies about 600,000, and Vancouver takes the cake at a whopping 1.2 million weekday boardings, and that's with a metro population that's less than half that of Atlanta's.

Quote:
Food: Deep South wins
I'll give you this one.

Last edited by Backstrom; 06-12-2013 at 02:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City