Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is better?
Pacific Northwest 50 70.42%
Deep South 21 29.58%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 06:50 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,802,896 times

Advertisements

Seattle alone is more photogenic than any major southern city, imo, including Miami, Orlando, Atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas and Houston.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:10 PM

798 posts, read 1,034,802 times
Deep South over Pacific NW. And I've never seen Vancouver included as a PNW city, mainly because it is Canada. But for the sake of the OP, I'll include it, but that means that Memphis, Tallahassee, Jacksonville, Charlotte, and Arkansas should be included as well.

Economy: South is booming and I think has a lower unemployment rate
History: South is much older, has varied history from Indians, colonization, Civil War, Civil Rights Movement, ATL Olympics, so South wins here. PNW has Indians and Lewis & Clark but I'm not sure what else
Natural scenery: PNW wins, but South has good scenery too
Urbanness: PNW, the closest thing to Portland and Seattle is probably New Orleans
Education: Public schools, PNW. Higher education: slight edge to the South. Haven't heard of any exceptional universities in the PNW, but the schools in the South aren't only known for football, they are just good at it. Most of the SEC schools are top notch in research thanks to the recognition and money the athletic program brings in. Also, lots of great HBCUs.
Museums: idk, probably even. Don't know of any renowned musuems like they have in DC.
Public transportation: PNW. MARTA needs to service more of the Atlanta suburb, but Charlotte is starting to build up its transit.
Weather: Here's the kicker for me. I'd rather have hot and humid summers than cold/cool winters. I DESPISE COLD. Plus, I think the South has more sunny days on average, and it isn't as dreary or drizzly. I saw someone mention that Atlanta gets more rain than Seattle, but Atlanta gets it in short thunderstorms (like the one last night) whereas Seattle (as far as I know) gets light rain and drizzling.
Food: I give this to the South. The food might be bad for your health, but damn if it doesn't taste good.
Proximity to other regions: South. Since we can't include Texas or South Florida, then the proximity is really close. Nearest major cities to PNW is probably Salt Lake, SF, and Denver, all really far.

Weather alone makes me pick the South, and the food is amazing. I would like to visit Seattle and Vancouver, but I don't think I want to live in either.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:29 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
Deep South: New Orleans, Houston, Baton Rouge, Jackson, Birmingham, Savannah, Charleston, Jacksonville, etc.
Pacific Northwest: Seattle, Vancouver, Portland, Tacoma, Spokane, Salem

For me, the PacNW is the clear winner in terms of scenery, but the Deep South takes the cake for cities. The people, the culture, the food, the weather, etc.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:33 PM

798 posts, read 1,034,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Deep South: New Orleans, Houston, Baton Rouge, Jackson, Birmingham, Savannah, Charleston, Jacksonville, etc.

For me, the PacNW is the clear winner in terms of scenery, but the Deep South takes the cake for cities. The people, the culture, the food, the weather, etc.
Better be careful. They don't want you to include Houston haha.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:05 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,462,735 times
Quote:

You didn't even list some of the more interesting Cities in the PNW. Don't forget about Victoria BC and Boise. and the people, food, and culture are definitely very opinionated topics

Old 06-15-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
You didn't even list some of the more interesting Cities in the PNW. Don't forget about Victoria BC and Boise. and the people, food, and culture are definitely very opinionated topics
Well, we are just stating our opinions, right?

I forgot about Victoria and honestly didn't know that Boise is considered the PacNW.

Old 06-15-2013, 02:14 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,462,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySwelly View Post
Deep South over Pacific NW. And I've never seen Vancouver included as a PNW city, mainly because it is Canada. But for the sake of the OP, I'll include it, but that means that Memphis, Tallahassee, Jacksonville, Charlotte, and Arkansas should be included as well.

Economy: South is booming and I think has a lower unemployment rate
History: South is much older, has varied history from Indians, colonization, Civil War, Civil Rights Movement, ATL Olympics, so South wins here. PNW has Indians and Lewis & Clark but I'm not sure what else
Natural scenery: PNW wins, but South has good scenery too
Urbanness: PNW, the closest thing to Portland and Seattle is probably New Orleans
Education: Public schools, PNW. Higher education: slight edge to the South. Haven't heard of any exceptional universities in the PNW, but the schools in the South aren't only known for football, they are just good at it. Most of the SEC schools are top notch in research thanks to the recognition and money the athletic program brings in. Also, lots of great HBCUs.
Museums: idk, probably even. Don't know of any renowned musuems like they have in DC.
Public transportation: PNW. MARTA needs to service more of the Atlanta suburb, but Charlotte is starting to build up its transit.
Weather: Here's the kicker for me. I'd rather have hot and humid summers than cold/cool winters. I DESPISE COLD. Plus, I think the South has more sunny days on average, and it isn't as dreary or drizzly. I saw someone mention that Atlanta gets more rain than Seattle, but Atlanta gets it in short thunderstorms (like the one last night) whereas Seattle (as far as I know) gets light rain and drizzling.
Food: I give this to the South. The food might be bad for your health, but damn if it doesn't taste good.
Proximity to other regions: South. Since we can't include Texas or South Florida, then the proximity is really close. Nearest major cities to PNW is probably Salt Lake, SF, and Denver, all really far.

Weather alone makes me pick the South, and the food is amazing. I would like to visit Seattle and Vancouver, but I don't think I want to live in either.
University of Washington and UBC are ranked higher then any college in the south. UW has a renowned medical program.

Old 06-15-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
University of Washington and UBC are ranked higher then any college in the south. UW has a renowned medical program.
According to who? I haven't seen this ranking.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:24 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Quote:
According to who? I haven't seen this ranking.
University of Washington been climbing in stature for quite some time now and is getting to the top now. There's many sources that place UW very highly.

UW has been ranked #8 in World, #6 in the US according to this site URAP - University Ranking by Academic Performance

#25 in the world according to this: World University Rankings 2011-2012 - Times Higher Education

Wiki lists out more and you can google more up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univers...n_and_Rankings

And of course, it also depends a lot on the programs. For example, UW Medical School is in the top 5 of the Med schools in the country.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:06 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
University of Washington been climbing in stature for quite some time now and is getting to the top now. There's many sources that place UW very highly.

UW has been ranked #8 in World, #6 in the US according to this site URAP - University Ranking by Academic Performance

#25 in the world according to this: World University Rankings 2011-2012 - Times Higher Education

Wiki lists out more and you can google more up: University of Washington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And of course, it also depends a lot on the programs. For example, UW Medical School is in the top 5 of the Med schools in the country.
In that second ranking, Duke and GA Tech rank above UW. And of course, the standard USNWR rankings list several Southern universities above UW. So you can't say definitively that UW ranks higher than any university in the South if you're bringing multiple rankings into the picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City