Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 09:36 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Midwestern and Rust Belt are not synonymous. Have you ever been to Newark, NJ? Lowell, Mass.? Utica, NY?

Rust Belt cities can be found throughout the Northeast and Midwest.
Agree. And there are plenty of towns in Maryland that fit the bill too: Hagerstown, Cumberland, Frostburg, Baltimore. Even touristy Ellicott City has a rugged Pennsyltucky look to it, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 10:42 AM

52 posts, read 109,615 times
I would say PA is more like Ohio or even Indiana, than Maryland. Maryland is a tiny, extremely densely populated state and straddles DC, an ultra dense urban area.
Pennsylvania is Philly which is more like part of Jersey, Pittsburgh which is like Cleveland, and the rest of PA is like Alabama.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:58 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,774,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvmdmd View Post
I would say PA is more like Ohio or even Indiana, than Maryland. Maryland is a tiny, extremely densely populated state and straddles DC, an ultra dense urban area.
Pennsylvania is Philly which is more like part of Jersey, Pittsburgh which is like Cleveland, and the rest of PA is like Alabama.
wow, if you think PA is anything like Indiana or western or central Ohio, I have to question where you've been in these states. They are very different, there is virtually no part of PA that is like Indiana or western Ohio. also, Pittsburgh is not very much like Cleveland at all - it is much more similar to Baltimore.

Maryland has lots of mountainous rural areas like PA, the southern Maryland region is also rural. and even "corresponding" big city regions to PA that have many similarities. (DC area:Philly area and Baltimore:Pittsburgh ).

Old 06-23-2014, 07:16 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,621,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
wow, if you think PA is anything like Indiana or western or central Ohio, I have to question where you've been in these states. They are very different, there is virtually no part of PA that is like Indiana or western Ohio. also, Pittsburgh is not very much like Cleveland at all - it is much more similar to Baltimore.

Maryland has lots of mountainous rural areas like PA, the southern Maryland region is also rural. and even "corresponding" big city regions to PA that have many similarities. (DC area:Philly area and Baltimore:Pittsburgh ).

Southeast Ohio looks a lot like Pa.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:01 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvmdmd View Post
Can a City Data administrator please add this emoticon to the list?

I need it for posts like the one I just quoted.

In the interim, Mvmdmd can specify for us all all the different ways in which central Pennsylvania is like Alabama, after which I shall ruthlessly deconstruct his notion with facts and data.

I'm waiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City