Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2012, 01:37 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
i always wondered why baltimore barely has any haitians being that pg and dc have a good amount. when i went to baltimore it looked like it was mainly black american, jamaican, trinidadian, with african immigrants(liberian/nigerian) in the mix. i hear the baltimore suburbs have more haitians then the actual city though.
Probably the same reason DC has more West Indians than Baltimore in general...

Howard University

HU Caribbean Students Association
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 07:28 PM

711 posts, read 1,497,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Yeah, I've seen video of some San Diego ghettos. They look pretty nice.
They have ghettos in San Diego...

Old 07-28-2012, 09:33 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,925,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendof302 View Post
They have ghettos in San Diego...
It's a big city....so yes.

Hood to Hood (San Diego) Pt. 1 - YouTube

Old 07-29-2012, 02:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,126,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
Maybe he was looking at this area of Camden, not this one.
Actually, neither of those looks too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
...and the avenue is appropriately called Prairie Avenue....

Quote:
in brooklyn we have a particular neighborhood called canarsie which is part of the 69th precint. a lot of people who live their all swear up and down that its the ghetto.

canarsie isnt free of crime, their are murders and robberies their but the neighborhood is very nice, mostly clean and very suburban looking. Not your average tenement looking area that nyc is stereotyped with.

Also Hollis, and st albans in queens are very 2 nice looking areas that you might see on the news time to time specifically for murders. But nowhere near as bad as south jamaica or far rockaway.
The interesting this is that some parts of Canarsie don't look too different from parts of Brownsville. Brownsville has one of the highest murder rates in the city, whereas Canarsie is more-or-less average.

Also, even South Jamaica has some decent-looking sections.

I'd just like to add in an area on Staten Island called Arlington with a fairly high crime rate that doesn't look bad. Along Holland Avenue a few blocks away, you always hear of reports of shootings, and at South Avenue & Arlington Place, there are a lot of intimidating-looking people hanging out.

Quote:
just curious is lil havana just strictly latino/cuban or are their a good amount of haitians their. dont say im racist because my parents are haitian as well.
Little Havana is something like 95% Hispanic.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:29 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,575,030 times
The Absolute best Ghetto's all across America I mean the United States of America are upper middle class white neighborhood where suddenly boom bam the Great Mini Depression Hits...now 7 houses have neat manicured lawns and two or three have 4 foot tall brown weeds growing all around the house.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:44 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,529,863 times
Quote:

def san diego.

are the homeless sleeping behind the palm trees?

Old 07-29-2012, 07:58 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,328,264 times
Quote:

Is the area being filmed actually a hood. Does it have social issues like high crime, low median household income, etc?

Because I know sometimes a lot of people feel a need to "act hood" when they're not actually in a hood (you see that very frequently among people of all ethnicites).

Old 07-29-2012, 08:16 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Actually, neither of those looks too bad.
Yeah, I commented on that already. I picked that spot because of its proximity to the "nice" neighborhoods (also because it was easy to find).

Old 07-30-2012, 12:51 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,925,927 times
Yeah, Mattapan, Roxbury, Dorcester, all pretty nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City