Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2012, 04:44 PM

367 posts, read 941,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
But i believe ft lauderdale and carol city are some of the few neighborhoods that jamaicans have higher numbers then haitians.
Growing up in CC, as a kid before I even knew what a Haitian was, I thought it was a bad thing, because Black Americans would use it as a way to diss people. "You ugly, you must be Haitian" "You look Haitian" etc. CC is very Black American (Southern), Jamaican, and other English speaking islander. NE Dade is very Haitian, but NMB has a good amount of Jamaicans and Haitians living in the same apartment complexes together. I was just at a vegetarian restaurant in NMB recently and I asked where they were from, check the diversity: owner from Antigua, guy from Haiti, guy from Bahamas, guy from Jamaica, and guy from Trinidad all working in the same place. So, NMB is very pan-Caribbean too but there's a lot way more white people there than Carol City/Miami Gardens. North Miami is probably the most Haitian city, even their mayors are Haitian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 10:45 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,410,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdread View Post
Growing up in CC, as a kid before I even knew what a Haitian was, I thought it was a bad thing, because Black Americans would use it as a way to diss people. "You ugly, you must be Haitian" "You look Haitian" etc. CC is very Black American (Southern), Jamaican, and other English speaking islander. NE Dade is very Haitian, but NMB has a good amount of Jamaicans and Haitians living in the same apartment complexes together. I was just at a vegetarian restaurant in NMB recently and I asked where they were from, check the diversity: owner from Antigua, guy from Haiti, guy from Bahamas, guy from Jamaica, and guy from Trinidad all working in the same place. So, NMB is very pan-Caribbean too but there's a lot way more white people there than Carol City/Miami Gardens. North Miami is probably the most Haitian city, even their mayors are Haitian.
it wasn't just in Florida it was here in new york city as well. Im Haitian american but grew up in a white neighborhood and acted like a "white boy" when i was a little kid. I remember first hearing Haitian hate from some Trinidadian kid who went to my school. he lived far in the ghettos of flatbush and came to school by bus. He would tell me all the Haitian jokes and would tell me how bad we have it. Never paid him no mind till i went to after school in medgar evers(african american college). omg it was a disaster.

but now in nyc these days Haitians are mainly respected. Only haters who cant accept the fact still hate.

sorry to get off topic.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:55 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,714,718 times
Well, millions of people the world over consider San Francisco to be the most beautiful city in America. Believe it or not, there are many hoods sprinkled throughout SF. Not all of them look nice. As it has been endlessly discussed on this forum, the projects in Hunter's Point, Sunnydale, Alehemany and Potrero Hill all look like crap with boarded up windows, trash everywhere etc.

However, my old neighborhood of Lakeview in the southern half of The City is a very picture-esque and beautiful place. Lakeview definitely is a neighborhood in transition and no longer holds the title of the most murderous neighborhood in San Francisco like it did for a huge chunk of the early to mid 90's. Gentrification is taking its course in the neighborhood as once neglected streets with former crack houses and abandoned homes being renovated and flipped to the key of $500-800K. Lakeview is no longer majority Black like it was from the 60's to the mid 90's and recent Asian immigrants have taken majority status in the neighborhood, but it still is considered to be the hood and #%^& still goes down out there. Much like any hood in any big city in America, there is gunfire pretty much everyday there. Check the daily crime reports on this site for proof:

http://sf.everyblock.com/locations/n...y=police-calls

There have been about five murders in Lakeview this year. This is about on par with many similar sized ghetto neighborhoods in most other big cities. Despite, the eyesore of the two-toned painted projects on 200 Randolph Street and the extra ghetto looking liquor store on Broad Street, Lakeview boasts the same trademark San Francisco homes, rolling fog, hills and breathtaking views you see in TV commercials and movies when San Francisco is the center of attention. Take a look at some of these stunning views of my home turf:

To set the ghetto credentials of Lakeview, SF straight, here are videos of the people who live in these houses. The first video is a Hood2Hood type of snipet from a local Bay Area DVD that sheds light on the extremely crime-ridden, violent notorious past of the hood. To put things in perspective of how bad Lakeview was and is, to an extent, hoods in much more notorious Bay Area cities like Oakland are Richmond are featured on the same DVD. The projects on Randolph street have been slightly renovated and repainted and no longer look as blighted as they do in the first video. The second video is a bunch of happy local boys out in the neighborhood rhyming about their innocent and wholesome ghetto hobbies. The third video features some thoughtful young gentlemen doing the right thing by advising people unfamiliar with the neighborhood to have their wits about them when strolling down the streets of Lakeview:

Last edited by goldenchild08; 08-13-2012 at 10:50 PM..

Old 08-13-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
Well, millions of people the world over consider San Francisco to be the most beautiful city in America. Believe it or not, there are many hoods sprinkled throughout SF. Not all of them look nice. As it has been endlessly discussed on this forum, the projects in Hunter's Point, Sunnydale, Alehemany and Potrero Hill all look like crap with boarded up windows, trash everywhere etc.

However, my old neighborhood of Lakeview in the southern half of The City is a very picture-esque and beautiful place. Lakeview definitely is a neighborhood in transition and no longer holds the title of the most murderous neighborhood in San Francisco like it did for a huge chunk of the early to mid 90's. Gentrification is taking its course in the neighborhood as once neglected streets with former crack houses and abandoned homes being renovated and flipped to the key of $500-800K. Lakeview is no longer majority Black like it was from the 60's to the mid 90's and recent Asian immigrants have taken majority status in the neighborhood, but it still is considered to be the hood and #%^& still goes down out there. Much like any hood in any big city in America, there is gunfire pretty much everyday there. Check the daily crime reports on this site for proof:

Ocean View police calls | EveryBlock San Francisco

There have been about five murders in Lakeview this year. This is about on par with many similar sized ghetto neighborhoods in most other big cities. Despite, the eyesore of the two-toned painted projects on 200 Randolph Street, Lakeview boasts the same trademark San Francisco homes, rolling fog, hills and breathtaking views you see in TV commercials and movies when San Francisco is the center of attention. Take a look at some of these stunning views of my home turf:

To set the ghetto credentials of Lakeview, SF straight, here are videos of the people who live in these houses. The first video is a Hood2Hood type of snipet from a local Bay Area DVD that sheds light on the extremely crime-ridden, violent notorious past of the hood. The projects on Randolph street have been slightly renovated and repainted and no longer look as blighted as they do in the first video. The second video is a bunch of happy local boys out in the neighborhood rhyming about their innocent and wholesome ghetto hobbies:

that guys house in the first video looks very nice for a small house, and its shape doesnt scream poverty at all. It screens interesting structure. Goes to show you that youc ant judge the hood by looks.

btw off topic i could never walk the streets of san fran. Im pretty sure people in san fran have some very strong legs to walk those hilly streets.

i mean the bronx, and upper manhattan are just as hilly but my god not that steep.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:27 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,009,624 times
LA. Whenever I see the worst parts of Compton or South LA, I am always surprised by how neat and orderly they look. Street are lined with tall palm trees and other exotic landscaping, houses have lawns, and many of the houses look like they're in good shape. I know that these are probably some of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the country, with serious gang issues, but the aesthetics of the neighborhoods just don't compare to other cities.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
that guys house in the first video looks very nice for a small house, and its shape doesnt scream poverty at all. It screens interesting structure. Goes to show you that youc ant judge the hood by looks.

btw off topic i could never walk the streets of san fran. Im pretty sure people in san fran have some very strong legs to walk those hilly streets.

i mean the bronx, and upper manhattan are just as hilly but my god not that steep.
Hahha. That guys house is actually HUGE. It has a two car garage for God's sake. Take a look at it on streetview. It's the red house on the right side of the street:

411 orizaba ave san francisco - Google Maps

I used to live on one of the steep hills in Lakeview directly up the hill a few feet away from the infamous Randolph Street. We could literally never walk down the street growing up despite the hill's force of gravity naturally pulling you towards the worst of the worst part of the hood as soon as you step outside the front door.

You're right that you can't judge a hood by the way it looks because Lakeview was just as bad as any hood in America. In the early 90's, one single corner on Randolph Street had 12 homicides throughout the course of the year. That is a full one fifth of the 1999 homicide count for the much more murderous Oakland when the town had 60 homicides.

OCEAN VIEW / Neighborhood reclaims its mean streets - SFGate

Old 08-14-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
Hahha. That guys house is actually HUGE. It has a two car garage for God's sake. Take a look at it on streetview. It's the red house on the right side of the street:

411 orizaba ave san francisco - Google Maps

I used to live on one of the steep hills in Lakeview directly up the hill a few feet away from the infamous Randolph Street. We could literally never walk down the street growing up despite the hill's force of gravity naturally pulling you towards the worst of the worst part of the hood as soon as you step outside the front door.

You're right that you can't judge a hood by the way it looks because Lakeview was just as bad as any hood in America. In the early 90's, one single corner on Randolph Street had 12 homicides throughout the course of the year. That is a full one fifth of the 1999 homicide count for the much more murderous Oakland when the town had 60 homicides.

OCEAN VIEW / Neighborhood reclaims its mean streets - SFGate
nice stuff indeed. its a good feeling to see a area change for the better, and that people can be able to walk around and enjoy it.

and yes that guys house looks pretty nice. I live in a apartment in a nice area here in brooklyn. i would trade for his house without question. plus id love to visit the bay anyday. seems more interesting and less fake then southern california.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
LA. Whenever I see the worst parts of Compton or South LA, I am always surprised by how neat and orderly they look. Street are lined with tall palm trees and other exotic landscaping, houses have lawns, and many of the houses look like they're in good shape. I know that these are probably some of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the country, with serious gang issues, but the aesthetics of the neighborhoods just don't compare to other cities.
I don't think the ghettos in Compton or L.A. were any "worse" than any ghetto in America in terms of crime. It is just that popular culture in the form of massively commercially successful blockbuster era-defining hood movies like Boyz 'N The Hood & Menace II Society and critically acclaimed multi-platinum selling Gangsta rappers like N.W.A., Ice Cube, Snoop Dogg, Ice T, Dr. Dre and The Game hailed from these environs. This comes as no surprise seeing as the entertainment industry is the backbone of L.A.'s economy. Since Hollywood and big record labels are located pretty much down the street from L.A. area ghettos, the spotlight was shined on these areas in the 80's and 90's. The spread of Bloods and Crips in America outside of L.A. has been mainly through media and not the streets. Most kids not from L.A. who claim to be Bloods or Crips have never been to L.A. or have never even met a Blood or Crip from L.A. Even Compton's own DJ Quik once said that Denver was "just like Compton" and that kids there were trying to claim L.A. gangs because they watched too much "Colors and Boyz 'N The Hood".

http://rapgenius.com/Dj-quik-jus-lyke-compton-lyrics

Sadly, Lil Wayne has done more to promote the recent spread of the Bloods throughout America than T. Rogers. This is the reason why actual Bloods and Crips from L.A. were murdered and ran off the block when they tried to set up shop in the ghettos of Oakland and San Francisco in the 80's. If you are trying to say that the worst areas in Compton are in some way historically "worse" than areas in Baltimore, DC, Camden, Oakland, East Palo Alto, Chicago etc., you would be just plain misinformed. Ghetto neighborhoods in different cities actually have similar crime rates when measured side by side. It just so happens that some cities are more ghetto as a whole than others. This is best illustrated in the San Francisco-Oakland dichotomy where certain neighborhoods in SF are just as bad as the worst of Oakland despite the fact that SF has a much lower overall crime rate than Oakland.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 08-14-2012 at 11:32 AM..

Old 08-15-2012, 04:03 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:

I've heard of portrero hill and huntspoint and bayview but those pics that you just posted is what I call la bella ghetto. The beautiful ghetto. They kinda look like pics of east LA that I've seen with the steep hills and Spanish architecture. I'd call this a tie between SF and LA.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:13 AM

675 posts, read 1,256,493 times
San Diego gets my vote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City