Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2012, 02:29 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,759,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Yeah, Mattapan, Roxbury, Dorcester, all pretty nice.

They look OK but you can still see signs of the hood... in the 1st link there's bars on the windows on the ground floor of that brick apartment building and that white house. You also see some obvious signs of property neglect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 02:34 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
They look OK but you can still see signs of the hood... in the 1st link there's bars on the windows on the ground floor of that brick apartment building and that white house. You also see some obvious signs of property neglect.
There's signs here and there. But overall the housing stock looks clean and refurbished and livable.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:40 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,759,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
There's signs here and there. But overall the housing stock looks clean and refurbished and livable.

True, but that can also be said of a lot of hood areas in a lot of cities... A lot of South Side Chicago looks positively suburban. Looks are not always a good indicator of the reality.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:32 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
True, but that can also be said of a lot of hood areas in a lot of cities... A lot of South Side Chicago looks positively suburban. Looks are not always a good indicator of the reality.
Yeah, but they're still good-looking ghettos which is the premise of this thread. High-crime, but still look livable.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:00 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,410,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Actually, neither of those looks too bad.

...and the avenue is appropriately called Prairie Avenue....

The interesting this is that some parts of Canarsie don't look too different from parts of Brownsville. Brownsville has one of the highest murder rates in the city, whereas Canarsie is more-or-less average.

Also, even South Jamaica has some decent-looking sections.

I'd just like to add in an area on Staten Island called Arlington with a fairly high crime rate that doesn't look bad. Along Holland Avenue a few blocks away, you always hear of reports of shootings, and at South Avenue & Arlington Place, there are a lot of intimidating-looking people hanging out.

Little Havana is something like 95% Hispanic.
canarsie and brownsville look nothing alike. Also i wouldnt call those people living in those brownsville rowhouses middle class(just saying). Canaries on the other hand is middle class everywhere except those 2 housing projects.

Also as bad as brownsville is their isnt alot of crime where those row houses are. Those row housing blocks in brownsville are pretty quite.

btw canarsie resembles flatlands, and parts of east flatbush.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:18 PM

605 posts, read 1,165,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Now THAT looks like a bad neighborhood (they have those here in Cleveland AND Chicago, btw).
Honestly, when I looked at that first photograph from Camden, I was angry that any place in America should look like that. But on second look, and if you move backwards a little, I mean, there's this little girl chillin on her front steps with her laptop, guys looking out their front doors, and for some reason it doesn't look so bad the more you look at it. Empty streets are always eerier than full ones. Oh and gotta love Whitey fixing up the utilities haha

Old 07-31-2012, 05:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
canarsie and brownsville look nothing alike. Also i wouldnt call those people living in those brownsville rowhouses middle class(just saying). Canaries on the other hand is middle class everywhere except those 2 housing projects.

Also as bad as brownsville is their isnt alot of crime where those row houses are. Those row housing blocks in brownsville are pretty quite.

btw canarsie resembles flatlands, and parts of east flatbush.
I said they don't look too different. I never said they looked exactly the same.

And Flatlands & East Flatbush have more detached homes like these IIRC (yes, I see the attached ones behind the picture).

Old 07-31-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
I said they don't look too different. I never said they looked exactly the same.

And Flatlands & East Flatbush have more detached homes like these IIRC (yes, I see the attached ones behind the picture).
it depends where you are. east flatbush in the 50,s and 90,s have the exact attached row houses youll find in canarsie. the other side of east flatbush which is close to flatbush is where you find most of the detached homes.

might i add the northern section of the 90s shares its comparison to brownsville and crown heights which it boarders with the double attached row buildings.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:40 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,828,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
fort lauderdale is more jamaican then Haitian correct?? i hear haitian is the second largest group but i also hear jamaicans is the largest group and theirs all types of english speaking caribbean folks as well.
Yeah my mom's God mother lives in Ft. Lauderdale and she Jamaican its nice over there

Old 08-07-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jamaica,Queens boy View Post
Yeah my mom's God mother lives in Ft. Lauderdale and she Jamaican its nice over there
yea all my family lives mainly in west palm beach which 1 or 2 cities up north away from ft lauderdale.

The whole south florida is nice my dude. I could really see myself living down their, or at least having a crib in new york and miami like most new yorkers do lol.

But i believe ft lauderdale and carol city are some of the few neighborhoods that jamaicans have higher numbers then haitians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City