Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Chicago 99 45.21%
Mexico City 72 32.88%
Toronto 48 21.92%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 04:37 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,966,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Toronto is looking like a couple of other Canadian cities, namely Vancouver. The modern residential skyscrapers are nice, but it's also a little bland architecturally. I think Chicago and MC have a much more diverse architectural landscape.
Most of Old Toronto's architecture is not highrise actually. The most common building form is Victorian Bay and Gable, Victorian industrial, Georgian, Neo-gothic and Edwardian with quite a bit of splattering of Romanesque and Art Deco. The DT core is mostly highrises and skyscrapers but the DT core isn't all of Old Toronto either - its only a relatively small but dense part of it. The best part of Toronto is the Old Toronto nabe's and BK actually posted pics of that stuff - those colourful homes you see in one of his pics are Victorian bay and Gable for example. The major arterials have mostly Edwardian mid-rise development. That development as a whole - Victorian/Edwardian is the 'bones' of Old Toronto not highrises even if they are most prominent in pics. Is it as grand as M.C - well no, Toronto isn't over 500 years old but the city is certainly not just highrises and skyscrapers. Also, the DT CBD actually has a lot of prominence in terms of architecture - perhaps Van Der Rohe's finest work in the TD Centre, Calavatra is there, Edward Durell Stone, I.M Pei, Libeskind, Gehry, Foster etc. I wouldn't put T.O skyscraper architecture near Chicago's level in terms of quality but Toronto wasn't as important as Chicago when Chicago was really building and the city is no architectural pushover. Few cities actually have the highrise architectural cred of Toronto since the 1960's and the names above aren't represented in such breadth in most of the worlds cities.

All said, Toronto is entering a new phase in skyscraper construction. A 1 billion dollar supertall has just been approved and will be on sale as of September. They are building the sales office now and is designed by Sir Norman Foster. The latest crop of buildings in the core are far superior to the stuff that was built even 5 years ago.

Anyway, here is a good link to some info on what is most common in Old Toronto in terms of architecture. These nabe's are the heart and soul of the city imo and have much more interesting character than its highrises even though I don't mind big and tall things in the DT core and CBD

http://news.buzzbuzzhome.com/2014/12...ictorians.html
http://news.buzzbuzzhome.com/2015/01...ng-styles.html

Last edited by fusion2; 05-11-2017 at 04:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 04:42 PM

615 posts, read 603,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Most of Old Toronto's architecture is not highrise actually. The most common building form is Victorian Bay and Gable, Victorian industrial, Georgian, Neo-gothic and Edwardian with quite a bit of splattering of Romanesque and Art Deco. The DT core is mostly highrises and skyscrapers but the DT core isn't all of Old Toronto either - its only a relatively small but dense part of it. The best part of Toronto is the Old Toronto nabe's and BK actually posted pics of that. That development is the 'bones' of Old Toronto not highrises even if they are most prominent in pics.

All said, Toronto is entering a new phase in skyscraper construction. A 1 billion dollar supertall has just been approved and will be on sale as of September. They are building the sales office now and is designed by Sir Norman Foster. The latest crop of buildings in the core are far superior to the stuff that was built even 5 years ago.
3000 people signed up for a chance to buy 400 suites.

I'm also looking forward to the 141 Bay St twin towers.

Old 05-11-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
3000 people signed up for a chance to buy 400 suites.

I'm also looking forward to the 141 Bay St twin towers.
A lot more to come.... The boom hasn't produced any Supertalls until now and from what I see the next crop will have quite a few. Toronto's skyscrapers have been getting higher and higher and the supertall is but the next level. It'll be as common for it to belt out supertalls as it is now to belt out a 200 m building which in Toronto is met with a yawn these days.

Old 05-11-2017, 04:52 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,265,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Hey Dave buddy, those are some really nice pictures of downtown you posted there. But there are many parts of Chicago that are not so nice like Englewood here. Actually, I found most of Chicago outside of downtown to be pretty rough looking.
Why oh why call me buddy .... did you actually look at the block? Yes its sure Englewood one of the highest crime rates in the city.

COMPARE TO A TRUE SLUM. It looks like paradise.
- single homes
- on tree-lined streets
- green-frontage also
- Power-lines run down the back alleys as not to blemish fronts.

Though that is a Autumn street-view most leaves are still on the trees to check out the street. Let's do that. TURN THE STREETVIEW TO VIEW DOWN THE STREET AND ACROSS even stroll forward.

street is paved in good shape
Paved with curbing and full sidewalks along it
street is CLEAN and FREE of DEBRIS and TRASH

Here SAME street-view TURNED TO THE YARD ACROSS AND INTERSECTION ON RIGHT.

https://www.google.nl/maps/@41.77416...7i13312!8i6656

YARD is CLEAN and GRASS CUT NICELY
sidewalk is in good shape and street CLEAN
INTERSECTION VERY CLEAN ALSO

* How about SAME streetview across the street looking down it. WHT DO YOU SEE.

a quaint looking VILLAGE LOOK OF LATE 19th or VERY EARLY 20th century CHICAGO TYPICAL ONCE ETHNIC EUROPEAN WORKER'S COTTAGE HOMES. Many probably have a garage in back.

https://www.google.nl/maps/@41.77427...7i13312!8i6656

These homes look like a QUAINT Countryside European VILLAGE.

Yes, Sad homes you show ABANDONED and probably boarded up by the city. Hopefully they ill gain a new owner and saved com neglect.

THIS IS NOT 3rd WORLD SLUMS. They have central heating, power, sewer and water. Gas lines run through the whole city for heat and stoves.

I know you have a American fetish and are NOT KIND TO THE US PERIOD and have a thing for Ghetto areas. European cities have their ghetto areas. Many tines outside the big cities. In the US most ARE in the big city.

A little further down the block. More Worker Cottage homes. IN GOOD SHAPE JUST SIMPLE DESIGNS THT AGED WELL. THE CITY uses street-sweepers and REBUILDS SIDEWALKS AND CURBING.

https://www.google.nl/maps/@41.77473...7i13312!8i6656

Heck, there are 1950s neighborhoods still middle-class and white with streets not with newer paving and sidewalks.

Next block VERY QUINT HOMES PEOPLE OUTSIDE HERE NOT IN SQUALLER BY FAR.... even power-lines are not in fonts to blemish. A Chicago trait.

https://www.google.nl/maps/@41.77431...7i13312!8i6656

** SPARE ME FOLLOWUP IN THE THREAD on ghettos.

~ I will let the thread get back to TORONTO BOASTING.~

Old 05-11-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post

~ I will let the thread get back to TORONTO BOASTING.~
Yeah yeah blah blah blah - you just don't like any information about the city other than it SUCKS. That is what you're a cheerleader for - the Toronto sucks brigade. Anyone provides any sort of meaningful or accurate information about the city and you just become unhinged.

Old 05-11-2017, 05:00 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,265,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Yeah yeah blah blah blah - you just don't like any information about the city other than it SUCKS. That is what you're a cheerleader for - the Toronto sucks brigade. Anyone provides any sort of meaningful or accurate information about the city and you just become unhinged.
Ok Ok .... You Win. No boasting is going on.... geeeeesh
I gave my opinions on the post. Thank You. As clear as I could. No calling it baiting even....

Old 05-11-2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Ok Ok .... You Win. No boasting is going on.... geeeeesh
I gave my opinions on the post. Thank You. As clear as I could. No calling it baiting even....
My post provided NOTHING inaccurate about the city. I shared information on the prominent architectural styles of Old Toronto and provided insight into some of the impressive architectural cred in the highrise/skyscraper development in the CBD. If you actually read my post I said, Toronto's highrise/skyscraper quality doesn't match Chicago but few cities in the world actually have the breadth of leading highrise/skyscraper architects since the 1960's onwards. Sure there is a lot of crap too but things are improving in that realm even in terms of condo development (which Toronto's highrise form is dominated by but is always of lesser quality generally speaking than Commercial highrise dev).

So again, nothing I've said is inaccurate - you going on about boasting constantly and your hijacking threads with useless tangents and claims of homerism and boosterism is NOT productive to any thread. Neither is your 50Billion pics of Chicago even in threads that DON'T have CHICAGO in them as a vs

Everyone in this forum with half a brain would be able to figure out almost every post you make is some sort of slight against Toronto and it is quite pathetic actually! Get over it.

Old 05-11-2017, 05:10 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,912,864 times
This is why I don't like Toronto to be compared to US cities...this always happens.

Old 05-11-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
This is why I don't like Toronto to be compared to US cities...this always happens.
Seriously though, who hijacked the thread here with ridiculous claims recently. Doesn't take a genius to figure who that was and if it is claimed that it was me than I would welcome anyone to read again. I was providing pretty spot on info about the city I happen to know a bit about it. I certainly wasn't slighting ANY city like the hijacker always does re Toronto!

Old 05-11-2017, 05:29 PM

615 posts, read 603,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
This is not inherent in Toronto being Canadian, just that it's booming. You don't want to compare booming cities to those that aren't is a more accurate statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City