Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Chicago 99 45.21%
Mexico City 72 32.88%
Toronto 48 21.92%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 10:18 AM

424 posts, read 465,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
right on, and that area is not the worst but yet all those MASSIVE SLUMS don't make MC below the standard of the other two cities?
The criteria you are using to compare - actually the criteria most of us on this forum are using to evaluate these cities (i.e. HDI, QOL, Gini coefficient, etc) are all mechanisms devised by western European and American society to essentially "grade" other cities and places in the world. We have all been using a set standards established by Europeans. Does anyone not see how this is problematic at all for "the other" (i.e. non-European society)??

This is the reason I brought up the history behind the reasons for poverty in Mexico City.

We have people from north of the US-Mexico border denigrating CDMX because it doesn't live up to measures established by Western European society. They cite the widespread poverty as the reason CDMX is so far behind American and Canadian cities. BUT they won't even acknowledge that the reason for this is because of the racism, colorism, exploitation, and oligarchy established by Europeans on the native and mestizo population Mexico and the rest of Latin America.

This is exactly why I am particularly saddened to see your comments flying around in a circuit and not even hitting the very heavy subject of why things are the way they are.

Does anyone here NOT see the double standard set by the anglosphere on what is referred to as the "developing" world (a phrase that is itself problematic and shoudn't be used)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 10:33 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,801 times
Slums are different then a ghetto in a slum was built by the poor for the poor. Lacking proper sanitation like indoor plumbing water, sewage and electric (most power is stolen). The UN does not call the US as having slums. Our cities Ghettos basically were neighborhoods once middle-class to much higher. They live in homes with basic conveniences of a 1st world city. Crime and still poverty make them a ghetto. Far less about very substandard housing as a world slum has.

A nation having slums then is likely not a 1st world nation despite all its top echelon offerings too.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:10 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,385,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Slums are different then a ghetto in a slum was built by the poor for the poor. Lacking proper sanitation like indoor plumbing water, sewage and electric (most power is stolen). The UN does not call the US as having slums. Our cities Ghettos basically were neighborhoods once middle-class to much higher. They live in homes with basic conveniences of a 1st world city. Crime and still poverty make them a ghetto. Far less about very substandard housing as a world slum has.

A nation having slums then is likely not a 1st world nation despite all its top echelon offerings too.
agree, but let's now talk about the grandeur of MC:rolleyes

Last edited by WildWestDude; 05-09-2017 at 11:48 AM..

Old 05-09-2017, 11:12 AM

tired of listening of those poor and pure Indians complaining what those Europeans did? Then you gotta listen to this!

https://www.facebook.com/antisociali...7/?pnref=story

what those "horrible" European whites will say

Old 05-09-2017, 11:15 AM

52 posts, read 62,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
https://www.facebook.com/antisociali...7/?pnref=story

what those "horrible" European whites will say
I saw plenty of white people in Mexico, trust me a blonde person won't catch anyone's eye, plenty walking around, especially in the wealthier parts.

and yes, its a city full of grandeur, it may have some slums but they are not near the run down craphole slums most American cities have, Mexico city slums at least have a human aspect to it. American slums are right down depressing!

And no... the epithome of human achievement is not American suburbias with tidy yards, or some vanilla town like Toronto!

Old 05-09-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portuga View Post
So mexico city has some slums (it's not the majority by the way), so in your little American mind it is in conclusion a terrible place, ignore any other variable!!!

Do you realize how STUPIDLY AMERICAN you sound? Mindsets like yours are the reason we're seen around the world like a nation of brainwashed god fearing retards!

Living in tidy communities with cookie cutter mcmansions is not the epithome of human progress either! That used to be the American dream but the reality is that such way of living is a freaking trap, nothing more soul crushing that a damn north American suburbia!

Mexico city is an amazing city, yes it has areas where poverty is common but so does Chicago and just about any American city! (To pretend an amazing world megalopolis like Mexico city is not worthy of competing with some cheesy North American vanilla town like Toronto because Mexico city has poverty is ridiculous.

In amenities, cultural offerings, nightlife, vibrancy, affordability, things to do, Mexico city BLOWS Chicago and Toronto any day of the week! Can you find poverty in Mexico city? YES, can you find wealth? YES perhaps even more than the wealth you can find in Toronto or Chicago! It's a city of extremes, a junction of the planet with an amazing energy you cannot find elsewhere!

It is as simple as that!
You totally missed the point about the video

Oh, then lets have the superior super smart Mexican teach us better. Rather have anything in the US than the MASSIVE MULTI SQUARE MILEs OF SLUMS ONE ALONE WITH FOUR MILLION INHABITANTS in deplorable conditions.
I suppose because its so horrible that tens of millions of ILLEGALS and LEGAL mexican nationals try to make those cookie cutters home.
Chicago vs Mexico City vs Toronto-laugh.png

Last edited by WildWestDude; 05-09-2017 at 11:51 AM..

Old 05-09-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portuga View Post
I saw plenty of white people in Mexico, trust me a blonde person won't catch anyone's eye, plenty walking around, especially in the wealthier parts.

and yes, its a city full of grandeur, it may have some slums but they are not near the run down craphole slums most American cities have, Mexico city slums at least have a human aspect to it. American slums are right down depressing!

And no... the epithome of human achievement is not American suburbias with tidy yards, or some vanilla town like Toronto!
yes, America has ghettos but not the slums like the biggest in the world MC has, not even close. Anything found in the US is on a smaller scale and compared to Mexico's truly crapholes they look high end. A grandeur full of MASSIVE AREAS OF SLUMS AFTER SLUMS which everyone ignores as if they were children of a lesser God.

Their existence makes MC well below average on a comparative scale.....A FACT THAT CAN'T BE IGNORED. Are there good and great things in MC? Yes, I never doubted it but again AS I MENTIONED MANY TIMES THE HUGE EXISTENCE OF DEPLORABLE CONDITIONS (WHATEVER THEIR REASONS FOR EXISTING) MAKE MC A SUBSTANDARD CITY LIKE IT OR NOT!

Old 05-09-2017, 12:07 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_arkitect View Post
Wildwestdude Again dismissing the cultural and historical significance of a city with a wealth of pre columbian heritage.

This isn't to say that the disparity between socio economic levels should be ignored. BUT that also doesn't negate the cultural wealth of CDMX over Toronto and Chicago.
I get the feeling that WW is generally of the view that any city outside of the First World offers little to no value, regardless of the category in question. His unusual, extremely narrow focus on poverty- of which not one person has denied exists in abundance in Mexico and on the city's edges- speaks more to bias than anything else.

Old 05-09-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
Mexico City would definitely be the better of the three for a tourist visit, but to live in the other two cities are ahead.
I think that really depends what one is looking for. Cost of living is lower in MC, and you still have access to every modern convenience. For those who are unable to imagine living in a nation that is not First World, or unable to look past its flaws, MC is probably not the place for them. It's a crazy, chaotic city, but to me it's also very livable. But what would I know, the Las Vegas poster knows everything and I must be miserable and/or living in a bubble.

Old 05-09-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
I mean, when the poor areas constitute the majority of the city, I don't think it is completely unfair to base an opinion off of it. Sounds more reasonable than making an opinion based on the best parts of a city which is, in reality, only a small portion of the city.

WildWestDude admitted that Mexico City is a great place to visit. For living, cultural and historic significant isn't very important (and it isn't like the two other cities are slouches), and I personally would consider them MUCH less important that socio-economics. Frankly, it doesn't matter to most people why Mexico City is the way it is. It may be an interesting piece of information, but that isn't going to make them overlook a city's problems.

The poorest areas that he's talking about don't represent the majority of the city, though. No one is making an opinion only on the best areas. They're providing a counter to the argument that MC is just one giant slum. That's just not the reality, and anyone who had actually visited should know better.

I live here, willfully. It's interesting that certain people would rather go by things they read or short visits than the actual experiences of real residents, but whatever. Bias seems to matter more than experience and facts these days. It's all about what people feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City