Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who has better food?
Houston 34 30.09%
Chicago 79 69.91%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 03:46 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,756,006 times

Advertisements

Everyone's just an expert on north/south/central/baja mexican food now, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 04:02 PM

278 posts, read 636,509 times
Chicago has amazing pizza- we all know this. Not just the famous and delicious Chicago deep dish, but also Chicago-style thin crust. Plus there are many delicious Neapolitan and New York style pizza places here.

Chicago has fantastic Indian food. The Little India area on Devon in Chicago has great stuff.

Chicago has excellent and authentic Korean barbecue that you cook at your own table in Koreatown. I know because I lived in Korea and it's legit.

Chicago has surprisingly awesome sushi places, my favorite being Sunda, a celebrity hotspot. You wouldn't think Chicago would have good seafood but it does.

Chicago has alright Mexican food. Mexican food is really hit or miss here for me, despite the 4th largest Mexican population in the U.S. Those Rick Bayless places are great though.

European food- Chicago wins hands down. Go up to Lincoln Square for some great authentic German. Greektown for Greek. Italian all over the place.

African food. North African food doesn't seem to be nearly as popular in the U.S. as it is in Europe.

Really great dessert places here- places dedicated to cupcakes, or many great gourmet donut places.

Chicago does BBQ well. There's a fantastic place for ribs in Oldtown with a delicious sauce.

Chinatown has great authentic Chinese food. But besides sushi, I can't find decent Japanese dishes like yakisoba to save my life.

Who wins? I don't know. But Chicago does food well. That's pretty much not arguable. I think if you polled the entire country as to which is KNOWN as a better food city, Chicago would win. If you polled everyone who's been to both cities, Chicago would probably win to. If it was a poll about Mexican or Seafood, Houston would probably win.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:03 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,201,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyao View Post
For me, the the difference in the quality of mexican food can be explained by the fact that mexican food or mexican influenced food has existed for generations in Texas. It's ingrained as part of the culture and hispanics and non hispanics have eaten it since birth

In chicago, the hispanic influence is way more recent, like decades. When I lived in chicago, the mexican food was generally horrible and the local population didnt know the difference because they ate it only occasionally instead of frequently. They ate at places like Pepe's Tacos and places that would give you a giant sombrero if you drank enough margaritas. Also, there wasnt nearly as large a hispanic population as there is now.

I always thought Rick Bayless's place in chicago was good, but the places in Texas were much better, cheaper, and there were more of them.

This is probably the same reason the Italian and E. European food is better in chicago than Texas. There is a history of that type of food in chicago and generations of experience...
My mother who is a mexican in chicago makes more authentic Mexican food then some chicano in texas whos been there for generations.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:42 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
Quote:
For me, the the difference in the quality of mexican food can be explained by the fact that mexican food or mexican influenced food has existed for generations in Texas. It's ingrained as part of the culture and hispanics and non hispanics have eaten it since birth

In chicago, the hispanic influence is way more recent, like decades. When I lived in chicago, the mexican food was generally horrible and the local population didnt know the difference because they ate it only occasionally instead of frequently. They ate at places like Pepe's Tacos and places that would give you a giant sombrero if you drank enough margaritas. Also, there wasnt nearly as large a hispanic population as there is now.

I always thought Rick Bayless's place in chicago was good, but the places in Texas were much better, cheaper, and there were more of them.

This is probably the same reason the Italian and E. European food is better in chicago than Texas. There is a history of that type of food in chicago and generations of experience...
I have actually seen it argued the other way around, new transplants will have more authentic cuisine and bring it from their country.

The bigger problem is, are they good cooks?

There is some pretty crap "authentic" mexican by people who can't cook to be certain.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:10 PM

370 posts, read 863,173 times
I am sure there are more mexican mothers in texas than chicago. not sure what your point is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
My mother who is a mexican in chicago makes more authentic Mexican food then some chicano in texas whos been there for generations.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:12 PM

again, i bet there are more mexican immigrants in texas or houston than chicago...Texas has both the history and consistent influx of mexican immigrants..

In general, more is better. Is there a great sushi chef in New Orleans better than all of Tokyo's? Possibly, but not likely..

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I have actually seen it argued the other way around, new transplants will have more authentic cuisine and bring it from their country.

The bigger problem is, are they good cooks?

There is some pretty crap "authentic" mexican by people who can't cook to be certain.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:22 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,201,566 times
Quote:
I am sure there are more mexican mothers in texas than chicago. not sure what your point is.
It means it doesn't matter since they have the same bulk of immigrants.
Unlike h ouston having a lack of italian polish greek etc

Old 11-01-2012, 05:25 PM

i agree Chicago is a better food city. Houston has some areas like Mexican which they do better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
It means it doesn't matter since they have the same bulk of immigrants.
Unlike h ouston having a lack of italian polish greek etc

Old 11-01-2012, 05:54 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
Quote:
again, i bet there are more mexican immigrants in texas or houston than chicago...Texas has both the history and consistent influx of mexican immigrants..

In general, more is better. Is there a great sushi chef in New Orleans better than all of Tokyo's? Possibly, but not likely..
I wasn't putting Houston down, I know Houston has recent immigrants too. But there are areas in the U.S. who have mexican populations, but immigration has not been high.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:20 PM

good point. I am amazed by how much of the mexican population has migrated to chicago.

In general, I think its a good thing, especially for the food scene. Again, when I lived in chicago, there was a definite dearth of latin cuisine, but chicago seems to have embraced it whole heartedly.

My friends from there loved Mexican food, but I had a hard time convincing their parents to eat it as they wanted to eat German Food, whenever we went out to eat. Again, this is the mid 1990s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I wasn't putting Houston down, I know Houston has recent immigrants too. But there are areas in the U.S. who have mexican populations, but immigration has not been high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City