Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who has better food?
Houston 34 30.09%
Chicago 79 69.91%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 08:36 PM

289 posts, read 396,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyao View Post
good point. I am amazed by how much of the mexican population has migrated to chicago.

In general, I think its a good thing, especially for the food scene. Again, when I lived in chicago, there was a definite dearth of latin cuisine, but chicago seems to have embraced it whole heartedly.

My friends from there loved Mexican food, but I had a hard time convincing their parents to eat it as they wanted to eat German Food, whenever we went out to eat. Again, this is the mid 1990s.
Where in Chicago did you live?

I grew up on the southside and lived there from the mid-70's until the early 2000's and was always surrounded by mexican food and supermercado's that would sell food. There definitely was not a dearth near where I lived during any of those times. It might not have been popular, or as abundant in other parts of the city, but it was still there. That said I probably couldn't tell you a single German restaurant that I've been to in that city besides Berghoff's if they are still even open.

The problem Chicago has on the internet is that people from everywhere, even parts of the city and suburbs, go under the assumption that anywhere south of Madison is not safe to visit save a couple of pockets more recently. People don't visit some of the best food in the city because of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 08:59 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDurden View Post
Chicago has amazing pizza- we all know this. Not just the famous and delicious Chicago deep dish, but also Chicago-style thin crust. Plus there are many delicious Neapolitan and New York style pizza places here.

Chicago has fantastic Indian food. The Little India area on Devon in Chicago has great stuff.

Chicago has excellent and authentic Korean barbecue that you cook at your own table in Koreatown. I know because I lived in Korea and it's legit.

Chicago has surprisingly awesome sushi places, my favorite being Sunda, a celebrity hotspot. You wouldn't think Chicago would have good seafood but it does.

Chicago has alright Mexican food. Mexican food is really hit or miss here for me, despite the 4th largest Mexican population in the U.S. Those Rick Bayless places are great though.

European food- Chicago wins hands down. Go up to Lincoln Square for some great authentic German. Greektown for Greek. Italian all over the place.

African food. North African food doesn't seem to be nearly as popular in the U.S. as it is in Europe.

Really great dessert places here- places dedicated to cupcakes, or many great gourmet donut places.

Chicago does BBQ well. There's a fantastic place for ribs in Oldtown with a delicious sauce.

Chinatown has great authentic Chinese food. But besides sushi, I can't find decent Japanese dishes like yakisoba to save my life.

Who wins? I don't know. But Chicago does food well. That's pretty much not arguable. I think if you polled the entire country as to which is KNOWN as a better food city, Chicago would win. If you polled everyone who's been to both cities, Chicago would probably win to. If it was a poll about Mexican or Seafood, Houston would probably win.
Houston has all of this on a very large scale & more.

The largest Nigerian population in the US is in Houston so naturally there would be more of those type restaurants & markets.

Indian population in Houston is enormous as well. One of the largest in the country.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:01 PM

370 posts, read 863,077 times
unfortunately we didnt venture South very much. I think I went to hyde park a few times and Comiskey and i think we also went to chinatwown which is also south?

Stayed in the City and up north where my friends had grown up. We ate alot of great cheap food off Milwaukee Avenue.

From what I could tell back then, alot of people were too afraid to venture south. i worked downtown and followed my co-workers and friends, who all wanted to stay in the City..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toroid View Post
Where in Chicago did you live?

I grew up on the southside and lived there from the mid-70's until the early 2000's and was always surrounded by mexican food and supermercado's that would sell food. There definitely was not a dearth near where I lived during any of those times. It might not have been popular, or as abundant in other parts of the city, but it was still there. That said I probably couldn't tell you a single German restaurant that I've been to in that city besides Berghoff's if they are still even open.

The problem Chicago has on the internet is that people from everywhere, even parts of the city and suburbs, go under the assumption that anywhere south of Madison is not safe to visit save a couple of pockets more recently. People don't visit some of the best food in the city because of that.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:57 PM

289 posts, read 396,417 times
Quote:
unfortunately we didnt venture South very much. I think I went to hyde park a few times and Comiskey and i think we also went to chinatwown which is also south?

Stayed in the City and up north where my friends had grown up. We ate alot of great cheap food off Milwaukee Avenue.

From what I could tell back then, alot of people were too afraid to venture south. i worked downtown and followed my co-workers and friends, who all wanted to stay in the City..
You missed a lot of great food then. I can't see how you can say that theres a dearth of Mexican food in Chicago if you actively avoided visiting any part of the city where people of Mexican origin actually lived while you were there? There were hundreds, if not more, Mexican resto's in Chicago in the 90's, you just didn't visit them and they weren't in area's where you lived.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:03 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
again, i bet there are more mexican immigrants in texas or houston than chicago...Texas has both the history and consistent influx of mexican immigrants..
There are more Mexicans in Chicago than Houston. We may be way up north, but don't underestimate the Hispanic population here.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:24 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
There are more Mexicans in Chicago than Houston. We may be way up north, but don't underestimate the Hispanic population here.
False

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-by-County.svg

2010 Mexican Population:

Houston - 673,093

Chicago - 578,100

Almost 100,000 more Mexicans in Houston with 600,000 fewer people than Chicago.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 11-01-2012 at 11:36 PM..

Old 11-01-2012, 11:38 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Pretty map. Irrelevant, but pretty.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:16 AM

1,534 posts, read 2,772,002 times
Houston is a great eating town, but it is not at the level of Chicago, yet.

The great strengths of Houston: Mexican, Creole/Cajun, seafood, soul food are comparable in Chicago, even if they might be a little better in Houston, and I think Chicago has better Mexican restaurants at every price point.

Houston wins for Tex-Mex, even if both San Antonio, and to a lesser extent Austin have better Tex-Mex food.

But for all European, African and Asian food (with the possible exception of Vietnamese food, which is mostly great in Houston), Chicago is WAY superior. And then add in upscale dining, where while Houston is now slouch, the most expensive restaurants are leagues better in Chicago; it starts to become no contest.

For me, NYC, L.A. Chicago and the Bay Area are the best dining cities in the U.S., and for sheer variety, in the world.

Houston would be at the top of the next tier down: better, but comparable to Philly, Boston, Seattle, Miami, D.C., which all have different strengths. Houston is a superb eating city, but it is not yet in the elite company of NYC, Chicago, L.A., or the Bay Area. Check back in 20 years.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:19 AM

1,985 posts, read 3,318,930 times
I have to give it to Chicago, hands down. No diss to Houston though, Chicago is an amazing city.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:13 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
Houston is a great eating town, but it is not at the level of Chicago, yet.

The great strengths of Houston: Mexican, Creole/Cajun, seafood, soul food are comparable in Chicago, even if they might be a little better in Houston, and I think Chicago has better Mexican restaurants at every price point.

Houston wins for Tex-Mex, even if both San Antonio, and to a lesser extent Austin have better Tex-Mex food.

But for all European, African and Asian food (with the possible exception of Vietnamese food, which is mostly great in Houston), Chicago is WAY superior. And then add in upscale dining, where while Houston is now slouch, the most expensive restaurants are leagues better in Chicago; it starts to become no contest.

For me, NYC, L.A. Chicago and the Bay Area are the best dining cities in the U.S., and for sheer variety, in the world.

Houston would be at the top of the next tier down: better, but comparable to Philly, Boston, Seattle, Miami, D.C., which all have different strengths. Houston is a superb eating city, but it is not yet in the elite company of NYC, Chicago, L.A., or the Bay Area. Check back in 20 years.
Good post. I agree with everything except the African part. I think Houston could go toe to toe with Chicago on that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City