Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bigger cultural exporter
NYC 52 54.74%
LA 43 45.26%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 12:00 AM

37,237 posts, read 39,519,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
The last MAJOR one out of NYC was Spike Lee's Do The Right Thing(1989)
To some extent, but it was mostly one community against a business based in that community, not the big panaroma that was the Big Lebowski, Pulp Fiction, and Crash. Those were pretty amazingly wide scopes (though I wasn't big on Crash). I'm wracking my brain for films of as broad a view based almost wholly in NYC/tri-state area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 12:08 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,570,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
To some extent, but it was mostly one community against a business based in that community, not the big panaroma that was the Big Lebowski, Pulp Fiction, and Crash. Those were pretty amazingly wide scopes (though I wasn't big on Crash). I'm wracking my brain for films of as broad a view based almost wholly in NYC/tri-state area.
Sex and the City.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Sex and the City.
Sex and the City is a cross-section of a very small portion of Manhattan. I don't think that could count in almost any sense a panaromic view.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:25 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,432,263 times
L.A. also has several terrific films about "the industry" itself, the best of which was The Player.

The beach movie has been dead for a while, but at its peak in the early 60's, it was a hugely popular sub-genre.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
L.A. also has several terrific films about "the industry" itself, the best of which was The Player.

The beach movie has been dead for a while, but at its peak in the early 60's, it was a hugely popular sub-genre.
LA has been particularly big on the celebrity culture of itself and I don't think it's altogether a good trend. There are so many parts of LA that could be compelling mythologizing which NYC does, but LA except in recent years has seemed to neglect. This was essentially the premise of Los Angeles Plays Itself and part of why 500 Days of Summer was such a refreshing change. LA subcultura is fantastic and in many respects I find it more interesting than what is currently going on NYC, but unfortunately little of that actually gets exported internationally or domestically. The weird anarchist library and community in down and out Downey is one of those. The completely wasted bits of the Inland Empire and around the Salton Sea (maybe a bit too far from LA to count as part of LA) are some of it. The parts of the OC that are so ripe for lampooning directly and the vibrant bicultural east asian and mexican communities are also great fodder (movies are made about those two, but almost entirely independents).

Old 11-01-2012, 01:23 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,977,124 times
Quote:
LA has been particularly big on the celebrity culture of itself and I don't think it's altogether a good trend. There are so many parts of LA that could be compelling mythologizing which NYC does, but LA except in recent years has seemed to neglect. This was essentially the premise of Los Angeles Plays Itself and part of why 500 Days of Summer was such a refreshing change. LA subcultura is fantastic and in many respects I find it more interesting than what is currently going on NYC, but unfortunately little of that actually gets exported internationally or domestically. The weird anarchist library and community in down and out Downey is one of those. The completely wasted bits of the Inland Empire and around the Salton Sea (maybe a bit too far from LA to count as part of LA) are some of it. The parts of the OC that are so ripe for lampooning directly and the vibrant bicultural east asian and mexican communities are also great fodder (movies are made about those two, but almost entirely independents).
Agreed. LA's subcultures make for a very interesting scripts, alot of them don't seem to be put on the big screen as much. They should have films about the gang-violence in South Central among Samoan and other Pacific Islander Mormons, and their struggles between gang-banging, maintaining their culture, and their religion. There was a story about a Samoan American football player from LA, who played for Colorado University, and I think he was fleeing police for some crime(can't remember), it turned out his father was one of the founders of the Samoan Crips gang in Los Angeles. That'd make for a VERY interesting film.

Here's one story:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3310788

Old 11-01-2012, 06:52 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,758,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I mentioned all the ethnic white mobsters.

The last MAJOR one out of NYC was Spike Lee's Do The Right Thing(1989)
Kids came after Do The Right Thing and it was a pretty good depiction of teenage life in lower Manhattan. Especially the skating subculture in lower Manhattan.

There are others too, Basketball Diaries is the only one that pops into my head instantly.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:00 AM

11,076 posts, read 12,484,609 times
Hard to say. Seems like they go hand in hand. When I am abroad, most everyone has these ridiculously romantic and unrealistic ideas of New York and LA that, in my mind, originate in movies. But also, I'm not sure how you measure culture. Is it by number of Yankees hats? If that's the case, then NY wins.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:58 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,977,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
Kids came after Do The Right Thing and it was a pretty good depiction of teenage life in lower Manhattan. Especially the skating subculture in lower Manhattan.

There are others too, Basketball Diaries is the only one that pops into my head instantly.
I've seen kids. It didn't cover too many diffirent socio-economic levels of NYC, or diffirent boroughs at once, in the same sense that me and Oy were talking about. It uncovered the underground skate culture of Manhattan, but it didn't go too far beyond those kids surroundings in Manhattan. Good movie though.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:19 PM

886 posts, read 1,566,022 times
Quote:
These are both highly influential and there are a few other highly influential areas due to their cultural exports with DC, the Bay Area, Chicago, Boston, and Miami (though restricted to the Caribbean and Latin America).
Yeah I would agree with those same cities. They have strong cultural ties abroad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City