Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bigger cultural exporter
NYC 52 54.74%
LA 43 45.26%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 01:52 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,545,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
My point was that the view of NYC is more multi-faceted. Yeah, there are movies like Juice that are associated with NYC. But there's also a Miracle on 34th Street. Or Ghostbusters. Or the Devil Wears Prada. Or Sex and the City. The images on film most strongly associated with NYC are of Central Park, the ESB, the Met, chic sidewalk cafes and glamorous shopping (as well as New York Undercover and crime). We don't see too many films with couples strolling through Macarthur Park, spending an evening at the Getty or otherwise exploring the city. We actually learn very little about the actual city of Los Angeles from film even though countless movies are set there.
That is somewhat true...

We learn a lot about LA's future in Demolition Man.

There is a lot about LA in Predator 2.

I think a movie like Ferris Bueller you see more shots around Chicago than you do of most LA films I can think of though there are tonsss of great movies set in Los Angeles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 01:56 PM

32,120 posts, read 34,792,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
Most Adam Sandler movies in NY feature him living in Brooklyn. Anger Management comes to mind.
In Big Daddy, he and the kid are peeing on the walls of Felix, which is on Broadway.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:58 PM

37,237 posts, read 39,519,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
L.A. is rarely, if ever, depicted in a flattering light on film, but that's not what I'm arguing. I'm rejecting the notion that NYC on film is depicted in a balanced way. You listed Shaft for Staten Island. It's very Manhattan-centric.
What? Where did I mention anything about shaft?

I don't know who is saying NYC is depicted in a balanced way. Manhattan gets the spotlight most of time. However, Manhattan gets the spotlight more than pretty much anywhere else in the US (and mind you, Manhattan itself is pretty diverse in the way it's depicted). The outer boroughs might not be mugging for the camera as often as Manhattan, but they are still often depicted in film and television.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I think a movie like Ferris Bueller you see more shots around Chicago than you do of most LA films I can think of though there are tonsss of great movies set in Los Angeles.
Yeah, Ferris Bueller does a great job of this. You can even do a Ferris Bueller tour there.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I don't know who is saying NYC is depicted in a balanced way. Manhattan gets the spotlight most of time. However, Manhattan gets the spotlight more than pretty much anywhere else in the US (and mind you, Manhattan itself is pretty diverse in the way it's depicted). The outer boroughs might not be mugging for the camera as often as Manhattan, but they are still often depicted in film and television.
"Balanced" doesn't mean that 1/5th of all movies filmed in NYC have to be filmed in Staten Island. "Balanced" means that the actual city of Los Angeles is actually showcased in a way that's different from what's stereotypically depicted on screen. (500) Days of Summer, for example, shows JGL sketching in a park, going to different bars, diners, etc. It wasn't the standard Beverly Hills mansion with blondie on a cell phone in a pool, Will Smith preparing for his battle with aliens in the Valley, or O-Dog and his homies polishing their brass to "ride on some fools."

Old 10-31-2012, 02:14 PM

886 posts, read 1,566,022 times
Spiderman universe is in NYC
Fantastic 4 universe is in NYC
Dare Devil universe is in NYC
The Incredible Hulk universe is in NYC
Green Lantern was in NYC
Ninja Turtles was NYC

These are lasting backdrops to kids. Superhero comics and movies gravitate towards NYC (Kick Ass).

Iron Man movies started off with him living in Malibu but he's since relocated to NYC where his father Howard Starks lived.

LA has Hancock though but at the end of the movie he moved to NYC and somewhere in the movie he mentioned they used to live in NYC.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:27 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,432,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
"Balanced" doesn't mean that 1/5th of all movies filmed in NYC have to be filmed in Staten Island. "Balanced" means that the actual city of Los Angeles is actually showcased in a way that's different from what's stereotypically depicted on screen. (500) Days of Summer, for example, shows JGL sketching in a park, going to different bars, diners, etc. It wasn't the standard Beverly Hills mansion with blondie on a cell phone in a pool, Will Smith preparing for his battle with aliens in the Valley, or O-Dog and his homies polishing their brass to "ride on some fools."
I was going to comment that " A Bronx Tale" could have been filmed as is, and been called "A Brooklyn Tale" and no one would have batted an eyelid, but it turns out it was filmed in Queens! A Queens Tale? It's a mob movie. You called that balance?

Old 10-31-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
I was going to comment that " A Bronx Tale" could have been filmed as is, and been called "A Brooklyn Tale" and no one would have batted an eyelid, but it turns out it was filmed in Queens! A Queens Tale? It's a mob movie. You called that balance?
They don't look that different.

Google Maps

Astoria Queens, NY - Google Maps

Old 10-31-2012, 02:34 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,879,872 times
The movie Echo Park portrays an interesting side of LA, sort of blending the "same-old" story of trying to make it in the entertainment industry but set in a mid-gentrification Echo Park: Echo Park (1986) - IMDb

Filmed in Echo Park too.

I think the seediness of 80s-90s Hollywood is another pretty well-represented location / setting for LA based films... alongside ghetto South Central, seedy Venice / Santa Monica, and bougie Beverly Hills.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:35 PM

37,237 posts, read 39,519,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR View Post
Spiderman universe is in NYC
Fantastic 4 universe is in NYC
Dare Devil universe is in NYC
The Incredible Hulk universe is in NYC
Green Lantern was in NYC
Ninja Turtles was NYC

These are lasting backdrops to kids. Superhero comics and movies gravitate towards NYC (Kick Ass).

Iron Man movies started off with him living in Malibu but he's since relocated to NYC where his father Howard Starks lived.

LA has Hancock though but at the end of the movie he moved to NYC and somewhere in the movie he mentioned they used to live in NYC.
What about Sesame Street? Big Bird is a real hero.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City