Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bigger cultural exporter
NYC 52 54.74%
LA 43 45.26%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 10:18 PM

484 posts, read 872,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
We know that LA exports entertainment, though that level is decreasing they still 'win'. But we're trying to say that entertainment isn't the only exporter of culture and entertainment is all LA has. NYC has way more, listed previously and I am not saying them again, so that is why NYC wins. Entertainment doesn't run the world. Some people out there don't even care about entertainment and such. We're "ganging up" because this is the only topic the people who voted for LA are bringing up, and have nothing else to show. Also, some of the things they're saying are plain wrong, no matter who films movies/TV or where they're filmed.
Quote:
We're not calling it irrelevant. We're just saying shows filmed in LA not about LA don't represent LA. Some don't understand that.

LA's culturally more significant when it comes to entertainment, and as this thread shows, not much else.

NYC has always been in the spotlight, always. Must I mention early 1900s immigration yet again? Don't even bring 9/11 up, that's not right.
What does NYC have? Oh yea, "finance culture." That's a stretch, but whatever, NYC can have that. I can sorta see it. "NYC has way more"....like what? All NYers are doing are listing industries that NYC is strong in, but an industry don't necessarily equal a culture. Publishing is not a cultural export. A certain book would be a cultural export; the publishing industry would not be. LA exports more culture. That's why LA wins. I have listed a lot of them in earlier posts. I, for one, have brought up a lot more than just entertainment. It's NYers, including yourself, that keep pigeonholing LA and perpetuating the false idea of entertainment as the only thing in LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 10:22 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,426,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
My point was that the view of NYC is more multi-faceted. Yeah, there are movies like Juice that are associated with NYC. But there's also a Miracle on 34th Street. Or Ghostbusters. Or the Devil Wears Prada. Or Sex and the City. The images on film most strongly associated with NYC are of Central Park, the ESB, the Met, chic sidewalk cafes and glamorous shopping (as well as New York Undercover and crime). We don't see too many films with couples strolling through Macarthur Park, spending an evening at the Getty or otherwise exploring the city. We actually learn very little about the actual city of Los Angeles from film even though countless movies are set there.
Lol, NYC on film is 99% city city city. It does have suburbs and quiet parts, but they're rarely depicted on film. The storylines might be different, depicting different lifestyles, but the setting is almost always the same--and that setting is Manhattan.

In Los Angeles, you can make a beach flick (Point Break), a chicano gang flick (American Me), a racing movie (Fast and the Furious), a show biz film (The Player), a comedy skewering the suburbs (Valley Girl), a noir film (L.A. confidential), a comedy skewering rich types (Clueless), a chick flick about a Hollywood streetwalker (Pretty Woman) or an action film that has scenes in a nearby desert (Lethal Weapon). Wildly different stories with wildly different back drops, but still L.A.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 10-30-2012 at 10:31 PM..

Old 10-30-2012, 10:25 PM

886 posts, read 1,565,322 times
Meet the Parents comes to mind immediately, Jack Burnes (Pam's dad) lives in Fairfield County CT where the movie is supposed to take place.

Plenty of others like this but again it bares repeating, subtle.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:37 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,686,129 times
Quote:
My point was that the view of NYC is more multi-faceted. Yeah, there are movies like Juice that are associated with NYC. But there's also a Miracle on 34th Street. Or Ghostbusters. Or the Devil Wears Prada. Or Sex and the City. The images on film most strongly associated with NYC are of Central Park, the ESB, the Met, chic sidewalk cafes and glamorous shopping (as well as New York Undercover and crime). We don't see too many films with couples strolling through Macarthur Park, spending an evening at the Getty or otherwise exploring the city. We actually learn very little about the actual city of Los Angeles from film even though countless movies are set there.
Macarthur Park? Yeah you clearly don't know LA if you think some movies would show some ghetto park like that in the middle of the barrio.

Right because movies never show people strolling the Venice boardwalk, Santa Monica Pier, beaches of Malibu, Rodeo Drive, Hollywood Blvd, the Griffith Observatory, clubs on Sunset, etc.. It's clear nobody knows about any of these places because they are never depicted in movies and tv Perhaps you should take Hitch out of the DVD player and watch more movies and tv shows not set in NY. Just look at all the reality shows set in LA today.

But lets be honest, it's not like you've ever been objective when it comes to LA anyways so I guess pointing this obvious stuff out is pointless on my part.

Last edited by sav858; 10-30-2012 at 10:46 PM..

Old 10-30-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Collateral with Tom Cruise comes to mind. Was the Usual Suspects set in LA?
Yes.

Quote:
Yeah...they take us everywhere from Hook & Ladder to MoMa to Battery Park to the Fulton Fish Market to the Children's Zoo to Rice to Riches in NoLita to sexy SoHo lounges. Sex and the City does that as well. I have never seen LA shown so intimately on the Big Screen or on TV. (500) Days of Summer was a good start, but that's the only movie that comes to mind.
Uh, Entourage? Baywatch. Southland. The Shield. Curb Your Enthusiasm. The Fresh Prince. 90210.

The Artist. Drive. L.A. Story. Mulholland Drive. Heat. Blade Runner. L.A. Confidential. Chinatown. Crash. American History X. The Big Lebowski. Menace II Society. Sunset Blvd. Rebel Without a Cause. Friday. Pretty Woman. The Changeling. Double Indemnity. There's too many..heck a lot more movies/tv set in LA than NYC. I have no problem saying however my favorite movie is set in NYC.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:10 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,005,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmykem View Post
What does NYC have? Oh yea, "finance culture." That's a stretch, but whatever, NYC can have that. I can sorta see it. "NYC has way more"....like what? All NYers are doing are listing industries that NYC is strong in, but an industry don't necessarily equal a culture. Publishing is not a cultural export. A certain book would be a cultural export; the publishing industry would not be. LA exports more culture. That's why LA wins. I have listed a lot of them in earlier posts. I, for one, have brought up a lot more than just entertainment. It's NYers, including yourself, that keep pigeonholing LA and perpetuating the false idea of entertainment as the only thing in LA.
We have said what else NYC has. Dismissing it as just finance culture is ignorant. Art, for one. Broadway, ballets, Carnegie Hall, all of the famous art museums. Some NYC neighborhoods are very artsy, actually quite a few. A lot of artists live in New York City, and their art culture is known worldwide. It's probably one of their biggest. Publishing? It's a strong industry, as is entertainment in Hollywood. No one ever said it was a culture. But through publishing, cultures can be exported. Magazines, books, newspapers, the New York Times, for example, this is how people find out about America. Sometimes mores than TV or movies. Cultures: art, food, finance (it IS a culture… the stock exchange? how about how we all depend on one another financially? we collapse, so does Europe, and vice versa to an extent). Culture can be subjective. Some people value some aspects more than others depending on their interests.

Cultural exporter, as in to the world right? The American culture varies through regions, but is generally the same. We all know about ourselves. Foreigners don't, they learn through many different ways depending on their interests. Entertainment isn't the only one, and isn't necessarily the most important. Especially considering not all American shows and film even make it to screens worldwide. Half of the TV shows that air get cancelled after a season or less and never see light of day outside the US. The celebrity culture of LA, I think, holds more weight internationally than film and TV shows, especially shows. People everywhere recognize celebrities residing in LA, and a lot of them are foreign born.

I'm not a New Yorker.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
In the context of this thread topic, what is being shown on screen is less relevant. A show about NYC doesn't make NYC the cultural exporter of the show. Yes, if you want to argue the show exports NYC's image, that's fine, but then the show itself is an export of LA. Friends and Seinfeld are about NYC, but LA exported Friends and Seinfeld. It exported the final product. Even if a production is somewhere else, the thumbprints of Hollywood is all over it. The (majority) of the creation, development, writing, casting, acting, the production, the talent agents, the managers, the executives, the assistants, the post-production, everything...is a product of the Hollywood machine; it's wrapped up in a tidy package and presented to the world. That's not to say NYC doesn't do any of these things, but it cannot compete with LA, just as LA has finance but cannot compete of NYC.
I'm not saying it is. Another poster is repeatedly arguing that no matter where the show/movie is about, LA is being represented because it's filmed there. That's what I'm arguing against. You people have said it a million times, we know. LA exports it. Thank you so much for telling me once again. I had no idea.

Shows aren't always an export of LA, though. Oftentimes, the head office is in NY. They call the shots. Production goes down in LA. They work together. If the company is headquartered in NYC, guess what? It's an export of NYC, regardless of where it's filmed.

NYC and other areas are starting to compete. LA isn't as dominant in the industry as it used to be. Many companies are bicoastal and work together now. Times are changing. Production moved from NJ and NY to LA years ago because it was easier to film in better light and weather conditions. That's all. There was nothing special about LA, other than its weather. The industry moved to the west coast and made it special. Now it's trending back because equipment has moved past the stone age and lighting can be achieved in almost any condition. It's changing.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:
It wasn't answered. I asked for typical LA foods, whether they're specialities found all over the city or LA style things, and that wasn't answered. I was given chain restaurants discovered in SoCal and foods discovered, some in SoCal, some in LA. My question was not answered.
-Tacos (any kind, from taco trucks to restaurants)
-Burgers (cheeseburgers, chiliburgers, avocado burgers, gourmet burgers, etc)
-Sushi (sashimi, rolls, etc)
-Salads (Cobb salad, Chinese chicken salad, etc)
-Bacon-wrapped hot dogs
-California-style pizza
-Korean BBQ
-Anything with avocado (burgers, sandwiches, salads, etc)
Trivia: 95% of US avocado production is located in SoCal.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:22 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,758,282 times
Yes, the polar shift is moving towards NYC in terms of movies. NYC is a movie powerhouse in it's own respect, but can't come close to LA.

NYC posters are really as stubborn as small-town posters. Maybe worse. Can't even admit LA is culturally more relevant at that.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:
-Tacos (any kind, from taco trucks to restaurants)
-Burgers (cheeseburgers, chiliburgers, avocado burgers, gourmet burgers, etc)
-Sushi (sashimi, rolls, etc)
-Salads (Cobb salad, Chinese chicken salad, etc)
-Bacon-wrapped hot dogs
-California-style pizza
-Korean BBQ
-Anything with avocado (burgers, sandwiches, salads, etc)
Trivia: 95% of US avocado production is located in SoCal.
All of those were discovered in the city of LA? And the city of LA is known for these?

Wait, wait, LA invented salads? So you don't think anyone before Los Angeles though to throw greens together in a bowl and mix?

Sushi is Japanese.

California-style kitchen, clearly CA. But it is known to be an LA thing?

Avocados, also CA, yes.

Are these foods typical in LA? Would a tourist go to LA and get these foods? I genuinely want to know. Again, I don't care what CA invented. NYC after all invented only half the things I had listed. But they're still a classic NYC thing. I want to know what's a typical LA thing to eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City