Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bigger cultural exporter
NYC 52 54.74%
LA 43 45.26%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 05:46 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,961,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
All of that, exactly. The show's both unfortunate and a blessing.

This is the most damaging storm we've had in fifty years and it's a shocker. Even newscasters don't have a word to say when viewing the helicopter shots of the Jersey coast. So sad.

Coney Island is great, a little… sadder looking than it had been. Its past its glory days but it's still there and still a popular attraction.

Yes NY and the Jersey coast got hit hard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 06:01 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,005,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Yes NY and the Jersey coast got hit hard
It's just horrible

Old 10-31-2012, 06:03 PM

This is actually a good topic we got on. Though NJ started boardwalks, NYC's Coney Island has been world famous for over 100 years. We are well known for our boardwalk/summer scene culture and I'm sure inspired other places.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:06 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,426,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR View Post
Depends.

It's just a little tease Chandler, heavens say you enjoy a good joke every now and then too.
As for my superhero comments, well when I was growing up I would watch a lot of super friends, smallville, justice league, and read lots of marvel comics. Always enjoyed seeing NYC in both 2D comics in cartoon and in movies. It made the city stand out as a dynamic place for me. In TV shows involving tweetie bird and Sylvester the cat, in cartoons NYC still looked good. Cat trying to nab the bird from an apartment window 40 stories up, looks down, begins sweating and acting like a buffoon almost tripping but makes it through the window and somehow gets knocked out and falls 40 stories while holding a picket sign reading "help". I just don't see this with other cities, Hollywood sometimes has a role as a backdrop in those cartoons but it's rare.

If it makes you feel any better, worst case is that both cities are tied as cultural exporters. I still think its debatable and that's the fun of these debates, so far neither have pulled away.

Don't underestimate them. They'll move to Hollywood, write their scripts, and use NYC as their backdrop.
You got me there.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:59 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,255,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR View Post
If spiderman was in LA, he would be swinging from palm tree to palm tree on 3rd street promenade instead of skyscraper to skyscraper in Manhattan.
You should try giving LA more credit sometime.

LA holds cultural, economical, and social ties with 25 sister cities

Eilat, Israel
Nagoya, Japan
Salvador, Brazil
Bordeaux, France
Berlin, Germany
Lusaka, Zambia
Mexico City, Mexico
Auckland, New Zealand
Busan, South Korea
Mumbai, India
Tehran, Iran
Taipei, ROC [Taiwan]
Guangzhou, PRC [China]
Athens, Greece
Saint Petersburg, Russia
Vancouver, Canada
Giza, Egypt
Jakarta, Indonesia
Kaunas, Lithuania
Makati, Philippines
Split, Croatia
San Salvador, El Salvador
Beirut, Lebanon
Ischia, Italy
Yerevan, Armenia

A city with as many ties from all parts of the globe is not culturally insignificant.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:14 PM

It's true Hollywood is worldwide cinema, I watch films often and enjoy films of all genres.

These days I watch more independent cinema. It is more creative and the talent is under the radar.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:26 PM

886 posts, read 1,565,322 times
What do sister cities have anything to do with being a "cultural exporter"?

Old 10-31-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
To promote peace through mutual respect, understanding, & cooperation — one individual, one community at a time.

Sister Cities International was created at President Eisenhower’s 1956 White House conference on citizen diplomacy. Eisenhower envisioned an organization that could be the hub of peace and prosperity by creating bonds between people from different cities around the world. By becoming friends, President Eisenhower reasoned that people of different cultures could celebrate and appreciate their differences, instead of deriding them, fostering suspicion and sowing new seeds for war.

Sister Cities International creates relationships based on cultural, educational, information and trade exchanges, creating lifelong friendships that provide prosperity and peace through person-to-person “citizen diplomacy.” Since then, Presidents Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush, and now President Barack Obama have served as the Honorary Chairman of Sister Cities International.

Since its inception, Sister Cities International has played a key role in renewing and strengthening important global relationships. Early partnerships included a trading relationship between Seattle, Washington and Tokyo, Japan, repairing post-WWII tensions by creating cultural and educational exchanges and, subsequently, lasting friendships. A 1974 study found that many early sister city relationships formed out of the post WWII aid programs to Western Europe. The relationships that endured, however, were based on cultural or educational reasons that developed lasting friendships. Sister Cities International improved diplomatic relationships at watershed moments over the past 50 years, including partnerships with China in the 1970s.

In the new millennium, Sister Cities International continues to expand its reach to new and emerging regions of the world. Today, it dedicates a special focus on areas with significant opportunities for cultural and educational exchanges, economic partnerships, and humanitarian assistance.
Mission and History | Sister Cities International (SCI)

Old 10-31-2012, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
You should try giving LA more credit sometime.

LA holds cultural, economical, and social ties with 25 sister cities

Eilat, Israel
Nagoya, Japan
Salvador, Brazil
Bordeaux, France
Berlin, Germany
Lusaka, Zambia
Mexico City, Mexico
Auckland, New Zealand
Busan, South Korea
Mumbai, India
Tehran, Iran
Taipei, ROC [Taiwan]
Guangzhou, PRC [China]
Athens, Greece
Saint Petersburg, Russia
Vancouver, Canada
Giza, Egypt
Jakarta, Indonesia
Kaunas, Lithuania
Makati, Philippines
Split, Croatia
San Salvador, El Salvador
Beirut, Lebanon
Ischia, Italy
Yerevan, Armenia

A city with as many ties from all parts of the globe is not culturally insignificant.
There are random small towns throughout America you've probably never heard of with sister cities. There are smaller scale cities with sister cities. There are large cities with sister cities. I'm not saying LA is irrelevant culturally, obviously it's relevant, but I am saying that having a sister city doesn't matter.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:55 PM

37,189 posts, read 39,473,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
There are random small towns throughout America you've probably never heard of with sister cities. There are smaller scale cities with sister cities. There are large cities with sister cities. I'm not saying LA is irrelevant culturally, obviously it's relevant, but I am saying that having a sister city doesn't matter.
Well, it matters more for LA because those sister cities generally have large populations of immigrants with fairly significant cultural exchanges. Also, those sister cities are generally really big cities or capitals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City