Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bigger cultural exporter
NYC 52 54.74%
LA 43 45.26%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 01:30 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,426,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Seriously, does anyone in the industry really have the ability to just call a random terrible idea to make a big budget production and make it happen?

The nuts and bolts process largely take place outside of LA now. There is no place in the US where it largely takes place. That's the point. The industry as a whole went down and now it's spread out, but with LA going down and NYC going up. There is no giant center for the industry before the way LA used to be.

And who identifies cheeseburgers with LA? It's just Americana. Multiple areas claim to be its origin, the same with hamburgers originally, the same with potato chips, etc. The point is, even if the commercial for these is made in LA, it does not then fall into being LA's cultural export--at least not in some ways. Do you understand?
I love how you keep saying L.A. is going down, and NYC is going up. Based on two years in the middle of the worst recession in California's history? As Grapico and scrantiX's posts show--the gap is STILL wide enough that there should be no debate which city is our nation's film capital, STILL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I invented the tomatoburger, it is a burger with a slice of tomato, you should try it some time.

Sometimes when I am out of hamburger buns, I make a hamburger on sliced bread, with cheese. I hear it is called a patty melt, but I have a fondness for portmanteaus so I call it a breadburger.
A Chicago slice is a casserole with a crust.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:35 PM

A New York style pretzel is a pretzel with the words "New York style" added.

You scoff at the cheeseburger, but its no less flimsy a creation than New York slices. The only differences is the laughable pimping of the products by the East Coast, as if they reinvented the wheel or something.

Of course, this flies past you guys.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 10-29-2012 at 01:46 PM..

Old 10-29-2012, 01:39 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,535,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
A New York style pretzel is a pretzel with the words "New York style" added to name.

You scoff at the cheeseburger, but its no less flimsy a creation than New York slices. The only differences is the laughable pimping of the products by the East Coast, as if they reinvented the wheel or something.

Of course, this flies past you guys.
It was a joke, and LA has many other food options. However, many places lay the claim to the cheeseburger. Other products out of both LA and NYC are less debatable.
LA is still very dominant in Film/TV, I don't think NYC is that close in film/tv, esp when we want to talk about feature films, i.e. ones that actually get "culturally exported" and make a lot of money.
While the means to make films has made it easier for more people to produce films, you still don't see many big success films being produced out of LA when compared to LA itself.
I could go get a red 4k and an imac with final cut pro, some random people off craigslist, make a decent film, try to market it to small film festivals, yet it will most likely never be culturally exported.
TV has gotten weaker for LA, they still probably control half of all TV production, while nyc has probably climbed from 5% to 10% of the industry. The other 40% is spread over the rest of the country from GA, Lousiana, or wherever.

Last edited by grapico; 10-29-2012 at 01:49 PM..

Old 10-29-2012, 02:25 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,517,564 times
Korean Tacos are my favorite, thats a L.A. thing right?

Old 10-29-2012, 05:59 PM

37,189 posts, read 39,473,415 times
Quote:
I love how you keep saying L.A. is going down, and NYC is going up. Based on two years in the middle of the worst recession in California's history? As Grapico and scrantiX's posts show--the gap is STILL wide enough that there should be no debate which city is our nation's film capital, STILL.
What? Two years? Are you out of your mind? Try a decade. Historically, LA is going to have a lot more titles because it really was at the top for a long time. However, now the

There is no big film capital anymore. You should know that if you actually work in the industry.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Korean Tacos are my favorite, thats a L.A. thing right?
Yep! It's pretty awesome. LA's got great food creations.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:55 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,595,765 times
Quote:
Yep! It's pretty awesome. LA's got great food creations.
Hey do you guys in NYC know about Maxwell Coffee

Living Frugal | Goals About: Maxwell Coffee Coupons

clip a coupon and get a cup " and wake up " we in California do not believe that NYC dominate Los Angeles in each and every category as many of your urbane partners in crime tend to believe " deep down in theirs heartless souls" via Los Angeles we believe that your future is bright indeed , and that you will best NYC in more and more categories in the very near future......Salute

Old 10-30-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
What? Two years? Are you out of your mind? Try a decade. Historically, LA is going to have a lot more titles because it really was at the top for a long time. However, now the

There is no big film capital anymore. You should know that if you actually work in the industry.
The plurality of film/television shows belongs to Los Angeles. This goes beyond just location shoots.

The two years was in reference to one hour dramas.

Quit trying to spin some bizarre "draw" for NYC on this one.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
The plurality of film/television shows belongs to Los Angeles. This goes beyond just location shoots.

The two years was in reference to one hour dramas.

Quit trying to spin some bizarre "draw" for NYC on this one.
Film production is down over 60% this year in LA from its peak 15 years ago. There is no film capital anymore, guy. And the two years is permanent--show takes off, then it is several years of work for each series possibly a decade. This is not a bizarre "draw", this is basically saying you need to update what you know about the industry.

Also, do you understand the point about cultural export in media as being more complex than just where the footage was shot? Production is part of it, and LA does have a lot of that, but there's also what the production is actually showing which may or may not be of LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City