Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bigger cultural exporter
NYC 52 54.74%
LA 43 45.26%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 12:09 AM

12,883 posts, read 14,005,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post

Something about Angelenos having pride when they say LA is the cultural exporter of the US bothers him. Maybe this is an east coast inferiority complex?

That's because that's all what you folks from NYC keep clinging on. You're constantly trying to prove yourself as an LA equal at entertainment and TBH you're not.

I'm more than ready to talk about other things, Internet, coffee, hamburgers, cars, houses, magazines, fashion, etc. You folks need to step out of 1880 already!
I've brought up food twice and others have brought up art, news, finance, food, fashion, and more. You guys have ignored it all and gone back to entertainment. Check back in the thread.

LA may export film and movies, but it doesn't export everything out of the US. NYC hands down is more diverse in culture than LA and exports other aspects without the help of LA and its dwindling entertainment industry.

And I don't need your sarcasm, thank you. Talk about us being defensive and inferior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It's sort of facetious with LA being where production is and the design/plot for these are NYC. I don't think you understand how the industry works. People on the "creative" side basically work in both cities and NYC is the backdrop a lot of the times because that's where a lot of these people live or spend substantial amount of time in. NYC is written into these shows for a reason--people write what they know a lot of times.

Also, where was this line of thought when people were arguing about DC (the government is based in DC, drafts and passes laws there, etc. even if the work there represents the rest of the US).
Exactly. They work together, as some production companies are headquartered in NYC they need to.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:28 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,426,385 times
So basically the CEO of Time Warner can decide he wants to make a film about his pet rock, Fluffy, and all the lowly serfs have to go along with it, right? What is this, the Middle Ages?

You're arguing semantics. No, L.A. isn't the only city with a film industry. Yes, everyone across the country contributes to Hollywood. But the nuts and bolts process largely takes place in Los Angeles, still.

As for JerseyGirl, come off it. Jimmykem wrote a insightful post detailing L.A.'s contributions to our nation's food culture and the best you could retort with was "it's not city limits". There is strong evidence that the cheeseburger was invented here. The cheeseburger! It should have been called the 'L.A. Burger'. Put a big SoCal stamp on the SOB. Might as well. Had it been invented in NYC, it's be called the New York Style We's #1 At Everything In the Whole World Burger. Haha, kidding.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 10-29-2012 at 12:58 AM..

Old 10-29-2012, 12:29 AM

886 posts, read 1,565,322 times
Again I don't hate LA. I'm not the worlds biggest fan of it either. I think it's a good city. Let's just leave that at that.

You're right though, Los Angelenos saying LA is the cultural exporter does bother me because its both misleading and completely ignores what NYC and the rest of the US have to offer up to the world. NYC is stronger than LA from what I can see at everything but only falls to second on the film industry overall. The gap is becoming narrower and lately I have seen more of NYC than LA in movies and television shows. So it's arguable.

As for my parents, I'm not the biggest fan of them either. They're snobs and to me the typical California mindset prevails them. They've never visited either my sister or myself here in the Tristate area because to them the world outside of SoCal just sucks. Especially NY/NJ/CT.

A year or two ago Atlanta was the most boosted city on this forum by far, last two years it's been Philly by far, and now the baton is passing over to LA. My only actual gripe with their boosters is that they play victim and act like the world hates them just to get some sick pleasure out of the next "just discovered LA" bandies group throwing some sweet words their way. These same people either not liking the city or not having an opinion of it just last year when there were less LA boosters. Honestly as far as CD polls go, LA is a middle of the pack city. On a poll it's only beat by NYC, Chicago, SF, Boston, and Philly. Not even D.C. anymore. Let's save the "everyone hates us" for places that really can't win polls even for things they deserve to like Detroit, Dallas, Miami, Houston, and Phoenix. I've seen them paired against villages in Colorado and Idaho and lose polls. Save the hate talk for where it applies.

For what it's worth I don't mind sticking up for LA on things other than its transit and urban environment.

Last edited by BLAXTOR; 10-29-2012 at 01:10 AM..

Old 10-29-2012, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
As for JerseyGirl, come off it. Jimmykem wrote a insightful post detailing L.A.'s contributions to our nation's food culture and the best you could retort with was "it's not city limits". There is strong evidence that the cheeseburger was invented here. The cheeseburger! It should have been called the 'L.A. Burger'. Put a big SoCal stamp on the SOB. Might as well. Had it been invented in NYC, it's be called the New York Style We's #1 At Everything In the Whole World Burger. Haha, kidding.
Half of what that poster said was food chains that are only out west or at least not national, and half of the food listed was "often credited to" one person while sometimes credited to another or was "debatable" with other origins. I asked for classic LA foods, and I never got an answer. I can list five classic New York foods in an instant, ones that are New York City itself. That couldn't be done for LA. SoCal, fine, but not LA. And in bold, you proved my point. LA and SoCal, different places. Sorry but NYC to us is NYC only, not New York metro region. If I ask LA, I mean LA. Not SoCal. City limits DO matter, at least to us near New York. I've seen much evidence that suggests people in CA don't care too much about the fact that two cities are separate places, they just group them into one. I see this all the time. Again, I will say it. This is frequently the problem with LA. You will cite things in Pasadena or Beverly Hills or even Long Beach that are awesome, but guess what? Those are separate cities. They're not LA. When asked NYC vs LA, it means those actual cities. Not any of their surrounding areas.

Funny thing is, you're probably not kidding. And that's fine. Because NYC is the best city in the country, at least.

I'm over it. You guys are bordering delusional with being so obsessed over LA owning the film industry on this thread. You can have it. I don't like superficialness that is Hollywood, truly.

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 10-29-2012 at 01:29 AM..

Old 10-29-2012, 01:01 PM

37,190 posts, read 39,473,415 times
Quote:
So basically the CEO of Time Warner can decide he wants to make a film about his pet rock, Fluffy, and all the lowly serfs have to go along with it, right? What is this, the Middle Ages?

You're arguing semantics. No, L.A. isn't the only city with a film industry. Yes, everyone across the country contributes to Hollywood. But the nuts and bolts process largely takes place in Los Angeles, still.

Seriously, does anyone in the industry really have the ability to just call a random terrible idea to make a big budget production and make it happen?

The nuts and bolts process largely take place outside of LA now. There is no place in the US where it largely takes place. That's the point. The industry as a whole went down and now it's spread out, but with LA going down and NYC going up. There is no giant center for the industry before the way LA used to be.

And who identifies cheeseburgers with LA? It's just Americana. Multiple areas claim to be its origin, the same with hamburgers originally, the same with potato chips, etc. The point is, even if the commercial for these is made in LA, it does not then fall into being LA's cultural export--at least not in some ways. Do you understand?

Old 10-29-2012, 01:08 PM

32,119 posts, read 34,767,213 times
Quote:
There is strong evidence that the cheeseburger was invented here. The cheeseburger! It should have been called the 'L.A. Burger'. Put a big SoCal stamp on the SOB. Might as well. Had it been invented in NYC, it's be called the New York Style We's #1 At Everything In the Whole World Burger. Haha, kidding.
Haha. A cheeseburger is just a hamburger with a topping on it.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:23 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,535,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I invented the tomatoburger, it is a burger with a slice of tomato, you should try it some time.

Sometimes when I am out of hamburger buns, I make a hamburger on sliced bread, with cheese. I hear it is called a patty melt, but I have a fondness for portmanteaus so I call it a breadburger.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:26 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,426,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
A New York slice a thinner version of regular pizza.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:29 PM

32,119 posts, read 34,767,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I invented the tomatoburger, it is a burger with a slice of tomato, you should try it some time.

Sometimes when I am out of hamburger buns, I make a hamburger on sliced bread, with cheese. I hear it is called a patty melt, but I have a fondness for portmanteaus so I call it a breadburger.
A "breadburger" LOL. Man, you guys crack me up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City