Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bigger cultural exporter
NYC 52 54.74%
LA 43 45.26%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 05:35 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,426,385 times

Advertisements

The film "Casablanca" is a Moroccan film. I had to come to city-data to learn this.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 10-28-2012 at 05:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Friends was a show written and produced with a lot of New Yorkers involved writing from experiences in NYC, but I get what you mean. Times have changed though and a lot of NYC shows are now completely done in NYC with NYC as a stand-in for other areas now.

At the same time, what city is that pushing to the rest of the world? Which city's culture is closer to being exported with that show (not that it's a particularly accurate representation of Manhattan)?
Like I said, if you want start breaking who represents who or where, then its fair to ask how many playwrights on Broadway are from New York? How many Broadway shows are about New York? When SNL does a skit making fun of GWB or Obama in the White House, is it still a New York based comedy show for its duration? Good grief.

The answer to your question is--it's an L.A. based television sitcom, which is a genre that is almost exclusively Los Angeles based. New York is the setting for the show, but it could really be set anywhere. The city isn't the focus, its merely the backdrop. Trying to claim it in this discussion would be like me claiming the Broadway production of "The Producers".

This is worse than the parent company argument.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:11 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,005,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Like I said, if you want start breaking who represents who or where, then its fair to ask how many playwrights on Broadway are from New York? How many Broadway shows are about New York? When SNL does a skit making fun of GWB or Obama in the White House, is it still a New York based comedy show for its duration. This is madness.

The answer to your question is--it's an L.A. based television sitcom, which is a genre that is almost exclusively Los Angeles based. New York is the setting for the show, but it could really be set anywhere. The city isn't the focus, its merely the backdrop. Trying to claim it in this discussion would be like me claiming the Broadway production of "The Producers".

It's not the Broadway shows that are NYC famous, it's Broadway itself that is New York famous. Shows go in and out, sometimes they barely last a year, but the theatre district is always prominent and has been for over 100 years now. The idea of going to NYC to see a show is always there, doesn't matter if it's a New York based show or a California based one. Going to see a Broadway show in New York is classic.

No, Friends is an LA FILMED sitcom, not an LA based one. It's based on New York, where it's set. It couldn't be set anywhere when Ross works for the Museum of Natural History, Joey works on Broadway for part of the show, the other part for a TV show that ironically is filmed in NYC, and Rachel works for Ralph Lauren, headquartered in New York, where Ralph Lauren himself is also from. You're losing this one, seriously it is getting ridiculous. We know that many shows and movies are produced in LA but unless they're also based on LA, it doesn't matter because viewers don't associate non-LA based entertainment with Los Angeles. They associate them with wherever they're set.

How can you "claim" a show that does nothing to represent your city, and instead represents another? All LA is in entertainment, is a place where shows like Friends are filmed. Again, in huge buildings, studios, with sets made to look like someplace else. Actually, these sets couldn't be any LESS LA. Take pride in what's truly yours, not replicas LA makes of somewhere else just for entertainment of others.

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 10-28-2012 at 06:22 PM..

Old 10-28-2012, 06:24 PM

32,119 posts, read 34,767,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
It's not the Broadway shows that are NYC famous, it's Broadway itself that is New York famous. Shows go in and out, sometimes they barely last a year, but the theatre district is always prominent and has been for over 100 years now. The idea of going to NYC to see a show is always there, doesn't matter if it's a New York based show or a California based one. Going to see a Broadway show in New York is classic.

No, Friends is an LA FILMED sitcom, not an LA based one. It's based on New York, where it's set. It couldn't be set anywhere when Ross works for the Museum of Natural History, Joey works on Broadway for part of the show, the other part for a TV show that ironically is filmed in NYC, and Rachel works for Ralph Lauren, headquartered in New York, where Ralph Lauren himself is also from. You're losing this one, seriously it is getting ridiculous. We know that many shows and movies are produced in LA but unless they're also based on LA, it doesn't matter because viewers don't associate non-LA based entertainment with Los Angeles. They associate them with wherever they're set.

How can you "claim" a show that does nothing to represent your city, and instead represents another? All LA is in entertainment, is a place where shows like Friends are filmed. Again, in huge buildings, studios, with sets made to look like someplace else. Actually, these sets couldn't be any LESS LA. Take pride in what's truly yours, not replicas LA makes of somewhere else just for entertainment of others.
Again, great points. Overall, I think NYC is showcased in film and TV in a way LA is not.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:25 PM

37,190 posts, read 39,473,415 times
Quote:
Like I said, if you want start breaking who represents who or where, then its fair to ask how many playwrights on Broadway are from New York? How many Broadway shows are about New York? When SNL does a skit making fun of GWB or Obama in the White House, is it still a New York based comedy show for its duration? Good grief.

How many broadway shows are about NYC? Are you kidding? If it's not a complete fantasia and looking for a physical location in the US, then chances are it's NYC. Rent? In the Heights? Avenue Q? Spiderman (if you want to get really weird about it)? No, I don't suppose Mary Poppins or Book of Mormon are based in NYC, but those aren't really based much in a concrete location though (Mary Poppins's world is abstracted to fiction, and Book of Mormon doesn't really focus on location). As for playwrights--some, but that doesn't work very well for LA either.

The point is those shows are based on times actually spent by creators/producers/writers in NYC. It is fiction, but based upon their real experiences. Furthermore, they are selling those experiences as NYC experiences and not LA ones. To say that NYC isn't up close and in focus for the glut of LA-shot, NYC-based cities of the 90s and early 00s (Will & Grace, Friends, Seinfield, Mad About You, Caroline in the City, etc.) is pretty dishonest--and obviously, those shows don't really cite much about LA or impart people who watch it much of an idea of LA.

Also, nod once if you understand the television and film industry has been going through precipitous decline in the LA over the last decade.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:25 PM

M.A.S.H. = Korean show
Hogan's Heroes = German show
Dracula = Romanian movie

Yup.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
M.A.S.H. = Korean show
Hogan's Heroes = German show
Dracula = Romanian movie

Yup.
Haha, well now you are just being stubborn.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:29 PM

Yeah, L.A. has declined to the point where it still leads in film and television production overall. Thanks for continuing to point this out.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to figure out who gets to claim the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy. It was filmed in New Zealand, but I'm leaning towards Middle Earth. The Hobbits will be so happy!

Old 10-28-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Haha, well now you are just being stubborn.
It's your logic. What's the problem?

Old 10-28-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Yeah, L.A. has declined to the point where it still leads in both categories. Thanks for continuing to point this out.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to figure out who gets to claim "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy. It was filmed in New Zealand, but I'm leaning towards Middle Earth. The Hobbits will be so happy!
Still stubborn! Can't tell though if you're now ignoring the point and truth or still missing it completely. :roll eyes:

I think us New York people have explained this enough, with actual concrete examples so I'm out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City