Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2012, 08:47 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,809,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofla951 View Post
. Atlanta can't compete with Miami and you couldn't be more wrong Miami is the shopping destination for Latin America. Flights to Brazil had to add to their gas reserves because they were so stuffed with cargo from tourists coming back from South Florida just to shop. Atlanta can have its sphere of influence over mainly poor rural towns, Latin America is a much more expansive and lucrative market. Besides Buckhead I've never heard of any other upscale shopping districts in Atlanta, although there probably are, I know Atlanta has nowhere close to the rents seen at Bal Harbour or Lincoln Road, add Worth Avenue and the booming Design District and I don't see how Atlanta competes now or in the future IMO.
OMG!!there is more wealth in the Southern U.S. as there is in Latin America.
Its "Latin America" but yet you have the audacity to say Atlanta influence is over mainly poor rural towns?So why is it the the per capita income of most of those Latin American countries and islands are WAY less than the average incomes in Atlanta's spheres of influence?
I never said Miami was not a destination for shopping but I strongly disagree that the level of what those stores have (in Miami) is much more than what is offered in Atlanta.
Miami is also NOT the only player that the wealthy of all Latin America is flocking to!!it may be for the U.S. but thats it.So stop trying to claim ALL of Latin America!!

You can buy a Ferrari,Rolls Royce,or whatever in Atlanta to drive.You can find exclusive stores that are found in Atlanta as you can Miami(maybe not all,but you most you can)
You guys are delusional because you have never been to Atlanta so the fact that so many more company headquartes with there exectutives,celebrities in entertainment industries.As if they go to Miami just for shopping.People with money in Atlanta go to New York or L.A. not Miami for shopping.

Its not as famous as Miami but it has wealth enough to support such pretigious names.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
The whole south or your misguided idea of what the south is.

It is really easy to win that argument by defining the south as only the area that ATL has am influence over
Well you are Southwest.But my idea of the South is why Atlanta by many is regarded as the "Capitol of the South" hence the sphere of influence thing.No matter how big or great Houston becomes.No one will never think of it in that vein.Houston is a hybrid of sorts.On a lesser level its the same reason no one would say Miami is not and will not EVER.
It may not be technically accurate but it is what it is.

Last edited by afonega1; 11-20-2012 at 09:53 PM..

Old 11-20-2012, 09:01 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,797,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Well you are Southwest.But my idea of the South is why Atlanta is regarded as the "Capitol of the South".No matter how big or great Houston becomes.No one will never think of it in that vein.Houston is a hybrid of sorts.On a lesser level its the same reason no one would say Miami is not and will not EVER.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:47 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,681,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Well you are Southwest.But my idea of the South is why Atlanta by many is regarded as the "Capitol of the South" hence the sphere of influence thing.No matter how big or great Houston becomes.No one will never think of it in that vein.Houston is a hybrid of sorts.On a lesser level its the same reason no one would say Miami is not and will not EVER.
You're acting as if there can only be one highest tiered city in the South, when that's obviously not true.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
You're acting as if there can only be one highest tiered city in the South, when that's obviously not true.
Im not,thats how you interpreted it.Obviously there are areas that overlap.Atlanta,Houston,Dallas are all shopping destinations for high end luxury as is Miami .The difference is that Miami is a more of a destination for leisure unlike the others.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:20 AM

36,665 posts, read 67,579,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Back to Reality. No one can support a US top class shopping district without calling on a lot more than the local base.
This is incorrect. The United States is the richest country on the face of the earth and we also have the largest number of rich people by far and plenty of cities can support 'top class shopping districts' if your defining that to be by the concentration of high end designers, but wealthy US consumers tend to be less enamored by high end designers then overseas counterparts-which is why your other assertion is spot on, a huge chunk, if not the majority of business at boutiques in Miami, Vegas and Honolulu are by foreign visitors, which is awesome because translates into more tax revenue for those places.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:29 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,806,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deh74 View Post
Has newbury street/ backbay been mentioned yet?
Yes, I made mention of the area and highlighted some stores a few pages back.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:18 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,770,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Uniqlo seems all the rage - rampant rumors now here of one opening on 16th and Chestnut in the vacated chapter 11 Daffys - Never been inside a Uniqlo and if its H&M like would rather have C21 than another H&M as a replacement for Daffys - the Other rumor is a Nordstrom Rack in this space which to me I would personally prefer, shoe pairing counter and all...
Kidphilly....wait so what? They are going to have Uniqlo in Daffys Location? I thought it was Forever 21?

Old 11-21-2012, 09:25 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,770,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
IDK about this list... what are we looking at? Just city or are we looking at metro? If on the metro level Philadelphia would certainly be second tier. Have you heard of King of Prussia?
Summersm, Philadelphia is def 4th tier.
I am a transplant from Miami to Philadelphia, and I found it shocking that there is not that many shopping option in this great city (aside of Rittenhouse Row). KoP is technically the burb, but still it does not have that many stores I saw down in Miami; both high end retailers (Prada, Gucci, Jimmy Choo) or urban hip stores (KidRobot, Commes de Garcons). For god sake, PA itself only has one Zara and one Diesel.

But aside of that, I still love Philly. And I cannot wait for all the developments going on in Market East - byut that's another topic altogether.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:49 AM

1,355 posts, read 2,681,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
Post #173 you called Atlanta "Capital of the South". How are you not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City