Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2013, 08:17 PM

4,436 posts, read 6,312,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
BUCKHEAD Atlanta

Check out the site plans and address. The correct info is on the site. It's up to you to believe what you choose to believe. It's not a strip mall and its nowhere near the suburbs
True. Buckhead Atlanta is not designed as a strip mall. It is essentially designed the same way as the new shopping area in the River Oaks area of Houston: The teardown plan: New River Oaks District development wants to cash in on location & walkability - 2012-Nov-19 - CultureMap Houston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 09:03 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,806,078 times
Quote:
Maybe top 6.

Does SF/DC have a district or do they just have stores scattered throughout downtown? Only upscale area I know in DC metro is Tysons and Chevy Chase
Boston has a large number of upscale stores and it's very walker friendly. Between Newbury Street and the Prudential Center and Copley Place malls, everything is very close together, in very dense surroundings and can easily be walked without needing a car or transit. Few cities have their stores this close together.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:18 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,302,229 times
Los Angeles Miracle Mile. I haven't seen any shopping district like it in the US.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:26 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,681,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
Los Angeles Miracle Mile. I haven't seen any shopping district like it in the US.
You obviously haven't visited too much of the U.S. then. Miracle Mile negatively effected downtown real estate values and began the multiple downtowns which characterizes contemporary Los Angeles

Old 03-05-2013, 11:33 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,140,361 times
Quote:
Maybe top 6.

Does SF/DC have a district or do they just have stores scattered throughout downtown? Only upscale area I know in DC metro is Tysons and Chevy Chase
The 15-16 square blocks from Powell and Market to the east and north make up the Union Square shopping area. Everything from high fashion boutiques to major department stores, to malls and luxury department stores, to branded outlets and specialty stores is here.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:55 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,025,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
The 15-16 square blocks from Powell and Market to the east and north make up the Union Square shopping area. Everything from high fashion boutiques to major department stores, to malls and luxury department stores, to branded outlets and specialty stores is here.

The original question is about an area like Rodeo Dr were at least 90% of the stores are luxury. We are not talking about shopping districts with a mixture of luxury stores

Old 03-06-2013, 08:19 AM

465 posts, read 873,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
Huh? There's barely any shopping along the Miracle Mile.

That was a big shopping district back in the 1940's. The stores have all been closed for decades.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:22 AM

644 posts, read 1,431,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Born View Post
I know Buckhead, and, yes, Buckhead is definitely suburban.

This is the area by Lenox Square and Phipps Plaza malls, right? If that isn't suburban, I don't know what is.

And the pics you posted show a strip mall. Maybe the pics are inaccurate, but the pics show regular strip mall shopping with parking lots.
This is a picture of Buckhead......Since when is that considered SUBURBAN??

Old 03-06-2013, 08:26 AM

36,665 posts, read 67,579,201 times
Quote:
The original question is about an area like Rodeo Dr were at least 90% of the stores are luxury.
This^ wasnt the original question of this thread at all.

The original post below doesnt say anything about 90%...

Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty
I'm not talking about J.Crew and Sephora. I'm talking about true high end shopping (Ermenegildo Zegna, Billy Reid, Balenciaga, Bottega Veneta, et al.)

The United States only has a handful of these districts, Palm Beach, Beverly Hills, Union Square, Uptown Houston, Buckhead, Upper East Side, Magnificent Mile, so on and so fourth.

So, my question is simply: Which ones are the best?

And to make it debate worthy, take away Los Angeles, Chicago, and New York. Now, let the debate begin.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:27 AM

465 posts, read 873,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
This is a picture of Buckhead......Since when is that considered SUBURBAN??
How is Buckhead not suburban? I'm not getting it.

Buckhead is mostly developed in the postwar era, mostly car-oriented, mostly single family homes on generous lots, mostly no sidewalks, and shopping is done in malls. There are no urban style neighborhoods anywhere in Buckhead.

Are you saying that Buckhead shouldn't be considered suburban because it has highrises? There are tons of suburbs with huge suburban skylines. Ever been to Tysons Corner, VA, or Rockville, MD, or all those satellite cities in suburban Dallas, suburban Houston, or Orange County, CA (Irvine, Newport Beach, etc.)?

Urban vs. suburban has nothing to do with highrises. Rome is urban, even though no highrises. Southfield, MI is suburban, even though tons of 30 and 40-floor towers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City