Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the de facto capital of the Southeastern US?
Atlanta 141 81.50%
Miami 14 8.09%
Washington 18 10.40%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 08:55 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,914,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold15 View Post
I mean no harm, but it could be your social circle and what "finding something to do" means to them. We also get - screen name obviously suggesting - that you have a strong passion for Charlotte.

I was born and raised in Greensboro, and graduated from N.C. A&T. While very few things are absolute, many, many people in GSO/CLT see "Atlanta" as their big city 'get-away' (as many in GSO and RAL/DUR also see Washington, DC). I just held Thanksgiving dinner at my home in Atlanta for many, many friends who moved down from Greensboro (bypassing Charlotte) in an effort to move to a 'big city'. Throughout the year, I am hit up by friends and fellow alumni who are "on their way to town" for little to no reason other than to be in ATL. This does not happen in reverse on a similar scale. I'm not saying Atlanta is the largest most urban place in the country, it's not.

As a seasoned professional who has lived in Greensboro, Charlotte, AND Atlanta (credibility), there is absolutely no comparison in the 'things to do' vibe between Atlanta and Charlotte. Charlotte, as nice as it is in parts, is comparable to Cobb County/Marietta/Vinings on a good day. Please read: that is not a bad thing. Charlotte is a great place.

Of course many people in Greensboro do see Charlotte as a BIGGER city (it is).

Nobody is saying Charlotte isn't nice. Nobody is saying they don't love it for what it is. To pretend that to be in Charlotte is to be in Atlanta is, well, dreaming. I'm sure you'll respond, that's cool. I'm almost as sure you have not lived in all the places being discussed.

That poster has been set straight on so many occasion but yet still has this fantasy that Everything in Atlanta can be done in Charlotte. This is someone who thinks Concord mills has jumping nightlife lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy201 View Post
Apparently most of you aren't realizing I live in Atlanta...

The argument that Charlotte was "better" or more important than Atlanta was never brought up. The argument Charlotte is catching up to Atlanta (and is already there on some levels) was.

You can continue to post your metro numbers, although I'm sure we all know by now.
You can continue to go on and on about how superior Atlanta is, although I'm positive that's already been cleared up.

Obviously with Metro Atlanta, is going to come a higher GDP, move governmental influence, ect. No one tried to argue that Charlotte had these things.

The only thing I have left to say is, for the second time, a "capitol" shouldn't be based off of metro population, of what city had more what during a certain year, or what city has hosted/is hosting an event. There's not one capital of the Southeast and that's all there is to it.

That is a lie lol...You have yet to prove your case on how Charlotte is catching up on all things that were listed by Chi. You were Challenging people to prove Atlantas case as being the more dominant most important city in the SE now after Chiatl provided facts that you should have already known since you live here in Atlanta now your argument and tone has changed....

Old 11-26-2012, 09:33 PM

183 posts, read 298,644 times
I don't know why people are getting so defensive when people are posting FACTS that Charlotte not having more influence. Charlotte is a nice city the way it is, some people actually enjoy the fact that they can have plenty to do and have qualities of a major city without the hassles of being of living in a larger city. I personally prefer Atlanta over Charlotte but I could be somewhat ok in Charlotte if I was forced to move there. I mean you have some nationally known, high paying jobs in the area, a fairly new light rail in the city thats being expanded, a fairly progressive population, a thriving downtown area(uptown), an int'l airport where one can fly directly almost anywhere, Carowinds, and the Panthers, and so much more. No one is trying to put the city down, it's just that Atlanta has more influence over the region and is over 3 times the size of Charlotte. Charlotte is basically has the most influence over Southern North Carolina and into South Carolina toward Columbia, but still, Atlanta is the largest most dominant city in this region and this really shouldn't be a debate. And to the one that said Charlotte is bigger than Atlanta, everyone in the real world that I live in, knows that Atlanta is larger, I mean come on..Anyone who's been to both cities knows this just by being in both cities, hell, if you've driven from Atlanta to Charlotte on 85 you should know this!!! Coming into Atlanta on 85 south, first off, you pass the Mall of GA 30 miles out, then it widens, then you have those HOT lanes that begin far outside of the city, spaghetti junction, then just before you hit downtown, when you look over to the right, you see the MARTA storage place and you just see skyscrapers for miles, then your looking straight ahead at downtown. Coming 85 north into Charlotte, you don't see that type of scenery AT ALL. It just looks like a regular 5 lane highway through a regular midsize city. Even that highway that goes into downtown Charlotte looks nothing like that, and their beltway was still a small 2 lane highway last time I was there. Even the pace of driving is different driving into Atlanta opposed to driving into Charlotte. This ALONE proves that whoever thinks ATL is smaller has obviously never been here. This is like people arguing that Indianapolis is more dominant over the midwest than Chicago and thats just hilarious. Both are great cities, but everyone knows which is more dominant. So just let Charlotte be Charlotte and Atlanta be Atlanta and we all get along and stop bickering over this topic because this one is just crazy.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:41 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,859,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy201 View Post
I understand your point. Due to Atlanta's widely known name, it kind of overcasts Charlotte which gets the city underrated.
Atlanta's name is widely known and it has had to build a reputation that lagged behind its buildings. I remember Futurama took a few jokes at Atlanta's expense. That's probably the next stage for Charlotte. Once it crosses that point, it'll finally take it's rightful place in the pantheon of cities. The DNC helped give it some attention. It'll probably help if a few more high profile events were held in Charlotte (keep in mind that Atlanta had the Olympics).

Quote:
Originally Posted by crider View Post
I am From Charlotte and the capital of the South is Charleston SC. it is the only city in the Southeast that I would take an overseas visitor . The Scenery the culture, history and unique cuisine the only city that comes close to offereing the uniquness of Charleston is Savannah. Major League Sports, tall buildings, museums, hub airports and suburban sprawl are found in many cities across the country nothing is unique or southern about that. New South cities are not unique. I live in one and would rather live here that in a world class high density megaloplis or Charleston , Savannah or even Atlanta;.nothing against any of those cities. Charlotte just suits me best. If Atlanta is the capital of the South so be it. I don't know why anyone in Charlotte would care about being the capital of the South, when we are not even the capital of NC, it's Raleigh.
Savannah is the first city that comes to mind reading your post. I've never been to Charleston, though.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:23 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,804,804 times
As a Northerner, I think of Atlanta as the capital of the Southeast. I also don't equate South Florida as being part of the Southeast simply because Miami doesn't have that Southern feel to me.

When I hear Southeast I think of South Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Tennessee and North Carolina and to me, Atlanta is the capital of that region.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:28 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,108,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
As a Northerner, I think of Atlanta as the capital of the Southeast. I also don't equate South Florida as being part of the Southeast simply because Miami doesn't have that Southern feel to me.

When I hear Southeast I think of South Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Tennessee and North Carolina and to me, Atlanta is the capital of that region.
Exactly you think of 1940 Mississippi, because that's the south

Georgia, Florida, S. Carolina, N. Carolinia and Virginia are the south Atlantic states, it gets no more southeastern then them, then comes Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Tennessee. Honestly I split the south this way except I group Louisiana and Arkansas with Eastern Texas and Oklahoma. People have this overgeneralize view of the south but what can you do. But keep in mind the south is cultural is as broad as the Northeast, plus the industrial Midwest, plus Midwestern plains.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post

Thats all we have been trying to tell this person.. You get it and I dont know why they cant

Old 02-22-2013, 09:54 PM

489 posts, read 911,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Oh you mean such as:
Go see a major league baseball game
See works by Picasso,Van Gouh,Rembrandt(High)
See ancient artifacts from Egypt and Greece(Michael C Carlos Museum)
Go take a tour of a Movie studio-Tyler Perry Studios,Screen Gems
Be an extra in a movie or television series-Walking Dead,Vampire Diaries,Revolution
Go to an Aquarium
Go to a top 20 university
The list goes on and on...............
Charlotte has the Mint Museum (2 of em), and Modern Art Museum. Not too shabby.
Charlotte is possibly building a movie studio First Look At Movie Studio Planned For Eastland Mall | News, Weather, Sport, Entertainment, Contests - WCCB Charlotte | Top Stories
"Homeland" is filmed in Charlotte (I have no idea what it is, but apparently it's a popular show)
Lot's of movies have been filmed here (hence the need/desire for a movie studio)
Charlotte has an aquarium

Old 02-23-2013, 10:02 AM

644 posts, read 1,431,608 times
FACTS:

Atlanta: Tourism capital of the south
Over 90 million vistors annually
Worlds Biggest Airport
Worlds busiest Airport
Worlds Largest Aquarium
Most used public transportation in the SE (over 500,000 daily)
Largest public transportation in the SE
Most Convention space in the SE
More intown developments underway than any other city in the SE
Biggest city in the SE
Largest universities in the SE
Largest public school systems in the SE
Largest media center in the SE
Most Hollywood productions in the SE

I can go on and on..but I have to leave....obviously Atlanta is the KING of the SOUTH...and let Charlotte stay the QUEEN

Old 02-23-2013, 12:04 PM

9,173 posts, read 13,261,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
FACTS:

Atlanta: Tourism capital of the south
Over 90 million vistors annually
Worlds Biggest Airport
Worlds busiest Airport
Worlds Largest Aquarium
Most used public transportation in the SE (over 500,000 daily)
Largest public transportation in the SE
Most Convention space in the SE
More intown developments underway than any other city in the SE
Biggest city in the SE
Largest universities in the SE
Largest public school systems in the SE
Largest media center in the SE
Most Hollywood productions in the SE

I can go on and on..but I have to leave....obviously Atlanta is the KING of the SOUTH...and let Charlotte stay the QUEEN
The bolded is one of the best lines I seen on City-Data for a good while! Good one!

Atlanta is by far the obvious chocie for this poll. I really do not see much of a counter augument for the other two chocies of Miami and Washington DC. Nothing wrong with those cities but they simply cannot beat the fact that Atlanta is so much more centrally located in the Southeast than they are. Not to mention some of the other reasons listed above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City