Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the de facto capital of the Southeastern US?
Atlanta 141 81.50%
Miami 14 8.09%
Washington 18 10.40%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 02:02 PM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamtonfordbury View Post
Atlanta has Georgia Tech and Emory, as well as Georgia State and a few historically black colleges like Clark Atlanta, Spelman, and Morehouse. Even UGA isn't that far to the east.
I'm well aware of that. But they aren't anywhere near the LARGEST universities in the Southeast. An argument could be made that we have a good concentration of the most notable/highly ranked colleges and universities in their particular categories, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 02:24 PM

489 posts, read 911,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamtonfordbury View Post
Atlanta has Georgia Tech and Emory, as well as Georgia State and a few historically black colleges like Clark Atlanta, Spelman, and Morehouse. Even UGA isn't that far to the east.
Best>largest

Raleigh/Durham and DC are both far ahead of Atlanta in terms of university relevance in the SE and globally.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:39 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,100,455 times
I don't consider Washington the Southeast. Washington is really the beginning of the Northeast. Atlanta is without question the capital of the southeast.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Talbott View Post
Best>largest
I didn't bring up best OR largest. I was merely responding to the claim that Atlanta has the largest universities in the SE; it doesn't.

Quote:
Raleigh/Durham and DC are both far ahead of Atlanta in terms of university relevance in the SE and globally.
"Far ahead?" What are you smoking fltonc12, err, I mean R.Talbott? DC has more universities overall, but they don't necessarily have an edge on quality--and certainly not "far ahead."

Here are the USNWR rankings of the most notable schools in each area by category:

National universities
8. Duke
20. Emory
21. Georgetown
30. UNC
36. GA Tech
58. University of Maryland
63. University of Georgia (not in Atlanta's MSA, but it abuts it and will probably be a part of the CSA/MSA soon)
77. American University
106. NC State
120. Catholic University of America
139. George Mason
(GSU and GWU were unranked)

National liberal arts colleges
75. Agnes Scott

HBCUs
1. Spelman
2. Howard
3. Morehouse
12. NC Central
15. Clark Atlanta
(Shaw and St. Augustine were unranked)

And since you said something about global importance, there's a list for that too:

23. Duke
25. GA Tech
42. UNC
79. Emory
97. University of Maryland
168. GWU
174. Georgetown

Old 02-23-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I didn't bring up best OR largest. I was merely responding to the claim that Atlanta has the largest universities in the SE; it doesn't.

"Far ahead?" What are you smoking fltonc12, err, I mean R.Talbott? DC has more universities overall, but they don't necessarily have an edge on quality--and certainly not "far ahead."

Here are the USNWR rankings of the most notable schools in each area by category:

National universities
8. Duke
20. Emory
21. Georgetown
30. UNC
36. GA Tech
58. University of Maryland
63. University of Georgia (not in Atlanta's MSA, but it abuts it and will probably be a part of the CSA/MSA soon)
77. American University
106. NC State
120. Catholic University of America
139. George Mason
(GSU and GWU were unranked)

National liberal arts colleges
75. Agnes Scott

HBCUs
1. Spelman
2. Howard
3. Morehouse
12. NC Central
15. Clark Atlanta
(Shaw and St. Augustine were unranked)

And since you said something about global importance, there's a list for that too:

23. Duke
25. GA Tech
42. UNC
79. Emory
97. University of Maryland
168. GWU
174. Georgetown
Well, at least you proved my point that Raleigh/Durham is superior...

And you're not taking into account law schools, med schools, other graduate programs...

Dig deeper

And if you are trying to combine schools that are 1.5 hours from each other, then throw in Wake Forest with Raleigh/Durham area (1.5 hours from Chapel Hill)

Last edited by R.Talbott; 02-23-2013 at 07:08 PM..

Old 02-23-2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Well, at least you proved my point that Raleigh/Durham is superior...

And you're not taking into account law schools, med schools, other graduate programs...

Dig deeper
I've done enough. Since you are the one who made the claim, how about you be the one to do the homework and substantiate it? I'm not going to sit here and go through all that for a subject that I never brought up in the first place. At any rate, I've shown pretty handily that neither DC or Raleigh/Durham are "far ahead" of Atlanta in terms of universities. The Triangle's top 2 schools have a bit of an edge, but overall it can't match the depth of Atlanta's universities.

Quote:
And if you are trying to combine schools that are 1.5 hours from each other, then throw in Wake Forest with Raleigh/Durham area (1.5 hours from Chapel Hill)
Combining schools that are 1.5 hours from each other? What in the world are you talking about? UGA lies adjacent to the Atlanta MSA and is only maybe 45 minutes from a nice chunk of the eastern portion of the metro. It's on the verge of at least being added to the CSA. Wake Forest, on the other hand, lies in an entirely different MSA that's not close to being adjacent to the Triangle. Epic fail.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:50 AM

848 posts, read 1,121,104 times
None of the above.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
I've done enough. Since you are the one who made the claim, how about you be the one to do the homework and substantiate it? I'm not going to sit here and go through all that for a subject that I never brought up in the first place. At any rate, I've shown pretty handily that neither DC or Raleigh/Durham are "far ahead" of Atlanta in terms of universities. The Triangle's top 2 schools have a bit of an edge, but overall it can't match the depth of Atlanta's universities.

Combining schools that are 1.5 hours from each other? What in the world are you talking about? UGA lies adjacent to the Atlanta MSA and is only maybe 45 minutes from a nice chunk of the eastern portion of the metro. It's on the verge of at least being added to the CSA. Wake Forest, on the other hand, lies in an entirely different MSA that's not close to being adjacent to the Triangle. Epic fail.
1.5 is 1.5 no matter what you drive through.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:48 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,681,425 times
Quote:
UGA to Atlanta is 1 hour and 26 minutes.

Wake Forest to Chapel Hill is 1 hour and 27 minutes.

Since neither schools are in either metros being discussed, the point of whether Wake Forest is in the Triangle is irrelevant.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
1.5 is 1.5 no matter what you drive through.
The point is that it's NOT 1.5 hrs away; you're wrong. Even so, there are already parts of the metro that are just as far out from downtown Atlanta as UGA is. That's the reality of living in a large top 10 metro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
UGA to Atlanta is 1 hour and 26 minutes.

Wake Forest to Chapel Hill is 1 hour and 27 minutes.

Since neither schools are in either metros being discussed, the point of whether Wake Forest is in the Triangle is irrelevant.
No, but it's very likely that Clarke County would become a part of Atlanta's CSA since it already borders the MSA. And it needs to be understood that Atlanta's metro is much larger so there are areas further out from the city of Atlanta that are still part of the metro. Distance isn't the relevant factor here anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City