Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the de facto capital of the Southeastern US?
Atlanta 141 81.50%
Miami 14 8.09%
Washington 18 10.40%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 06:50 PM

489 posts, read 911,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The point is that it's NOT 1.5 hrs away; you're wrong.
I'm not sure you know what that word means...

The schools from each other? Yes. From the metro edge? No. But don't act like you're not driving through miles of country going from Athens to metro ATL.

The actual POINT is that you tried to include UGA in ATLs metro, which was stupid. I simply said WF in Raleigh/Durham as an analogy for your stupidity. You took my statement seriously, for whatever reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 07:14 PM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Talbott View Post
I'm not sure you know what that word means...

The schools from each other? Yes. From the metro edge? No. But don't act like you're not driving through miles of country going from Athens to metro ATL.

The actual POINT is that you tried to include UGA in ATLs metro, which was stupid. I simply said WF in Raleigh/Durham as an analogy for your stupidity. You took my statement seriously, for whatever reason.
You obviously have a serious reading comprehension deficiency as I explicitly stated that it is NOT in Atlanta's MSA/CSA currently but is adjacent to it and is likely to be included in the metro soon. Furthermore, it made the comparisons more apples-to-apples since two other state flagships were in the discussion.

At any rate, your original point has been soundly refuted, so I suggest you move it along.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:35 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,681,425 times
Quote:
The point is that it's NOT 1.5 hrs away; you're wrong. Even so, there are already parts of the metro that are just as far out from downtown Atlanta as UGA is. That's the reality of living in a large top 10 metro.

No, but it's very likely that Clarke County would become a part of Atlanta's CSA since it already borders the MSA. And it needs to be understood that Atlanta's metro is much larger so there are areas further out from the city of Atlanta that are still part of the metro. Distance isn't the relevant factor here anyway.
Until then, your argument is invalid.

You can't take the furthest point in the metro and base distance to UGA off of it because the same can be done to the other posters point.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
Until then, your argument is invalid.
Lol, what argument? I only mentioned UGA since it's adjacent to the metro and the flagships of the other states under discussion were included; it's not a big factor at all and that dude's point is refuted even without UGA in the discussion. You weren't even involved in this particular exchange in the first place, so why are you so engaged? Unless...

Quote:
You can't take the furthest point in the metro and base distance to UGA off of it because the same can be done to the other posters point.
It wasn't even about the furthest point in the metro. You're as way off as he is. But at any rate, there's really no need to continue here.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Lol, what argument? I only mentioned UGA since it's adjacent to the metro and the flagships of the other states under discussion were included; it's not a big factor at all and that dude's point is refuted even without UGA in the discussion. You weren't even involved in this particular exchange in the first place, so why are you so engaged? Unless...
You're jumping to defense in terms of UGA and it's proximity to Atlanta, but then saying the other posters example of WF being the exact same distance to Raleigh is incorrect and irrelevant?

Quote:
It wasn't even about the furthest point in the metro. You're as way off as he is. But at any rate, there's really no need to continue here.
You clearly stated "the eastern portion of the metro" in post #116. Aka, the furthest point of the metro.

You both had the exact same point, involving two different schools/cities. If yours is correct, his is correct. If his isn't, yours isn't.

Pretty simple.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
You're jumping to defense in terms of UGA and it's proximity to Atlanta, but then saying the other posters example of WF being the exact same distance to Raleigh is incorrect and irrelevant?
Not other posters (plural), just one other poster--who's strangely silent now. Very weird that as a new poster, he chooses this discussion to jump into and you feel the need to defend him. But we know how that worked out in the past though.

Anyway, the "distance" argument is incorrect and irrelevant. But I'm not going to rehash this with you because you've proven in other thread that you don't understand how metros are configured with that whole misplaced "if Charlotte had as many counties in its metro as Atlanta does its metro population would be the same" argument.

Quote:
You clearly stated "the eastern portion of the metro" in post #116. Aka, the furthest point of the metro.
How is the eastern portion of the metro the "furthest point"? Prove that to me, especially since the western part of the metro touches the AL border (and the CSA actually includes an AL county). Once again, you just don't know what you're talking about when it comes to Atlanta.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Not other posters (plural), just one other poster--who's strangely silent now. Very weird that as a new poster, he chooses this discussion to jump into and you feel the need to defend him. But we know how that worked out in the past though.

Anyway, the "distance" argument is incorrect and irrelevant. But I'm not going to rehash this with you because you've proven in other thread that you don't understand how metros are configured with that whole misplaced "if Charlotte had as many counties in its metro as Atlanta does its metro population would be the same" argument.
Lol, I didn't defend him, I agreed with what he said. Because it's true. It's hilarious you always assume I'm double posting because I agree with another poster- who is still active.

If Charlotte had 28 counties included in it's metro, it's population would be ~5M. Look at a map, look at the counties' population, get a calculator. It isn't hard to understand. However, that is irrelevant.

Quote:
How is the eastern portion of the metro the "furthest point"? Prove that to me, especially since the western part of the metro touches the AL border (and the CSA actually includes an AL county). Once again, you just don't know what you're talking about when it comes to Atlanta.
The eastern portion of the metro is the furthest point of the metro to the east. What are you not comprehending?

Way to turn around the discussion because your "point" was a fail. If the distance relation to the statement you tried to make is irrelevant, why are you still trying to defend your statement?

They are the exact same distance to the cities that were being discussed. But apparently since your point was in favor of UGA's proximity to Atlanta, and the other posteR proved the same point to a different city that you were not defending is all of a sudden incorrect? Ignorance.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Lol, I didn't defend him, I agreed with what he said. Because it's true. It's hilarious you always assume I'm double posting because I agree with another poster- who is still active.
You always agree with new posters whose first post or two is in some sort of Atlanta/Charlotte or NC discussion. It's pretty conspicuous at this point--not to mention sad.

Quote:
If Charlotte had 28 counties included in it's metro, it's population would be ~5M. Look at a map, look at the counties' population, get a calculator. It isn't hard to understand. However, that is irrelevant.
Yeah, and you've used that to argue that Atlanta really isn't bigger than Charlotte. LMAO! Again, the stuff you just don't get...

Quote:
The eastern portion of the metro is the furthest point of the metro to the east. What are you not comprehending?
I don't even know what you're talking about anymore. You're just making stuff up as you go along now.

Quote:
Way to turn around the discussion because your "point" was a fail. If the distance relation to the statement you tried to make is irrelevant, why are you still trying to defend your statement?

They are the exact same distance to the cities that were being discussed. But apparently since your point was in favor of UGA's proximity to Atlanta, and the other posteR proved the same point to a different city that you were not defending is all of a sudden incorrect? Ignorance.
The fact of the matter is that I only included UGA due to being right next door to metro Atlanta (Wake Forest is not next door to the Triangle) and since two other state flagships were in the discussion, it made it more of an apples-to-apples discussion. I can completely exclude UGA and still soundly refute his asinine point that the universities in the Triangle and DC are "far ahead" of Atlanta's. That's the real meat of the discussion. Unless you want to argue that point--which, as I stated, I have already refuted--go ahead and knock yourself out.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Talbott View Post
And if you are trying to combine schools that are 1.5 hours from each other, then throw in Wake Forest with Raleigh/Durham area (1.5 hours from Chapel Hill)
Quote:
UGA to Atlanta is 1 hour and 26 minutes.

Wake Forest to Chapel Hill is 1 hour and 27 minutes.

Since neither schools are in either metros being discussed, the point of whether Wake Forest is in the Triangle is irrelevant.
Since the new MSA/CSA designations have been released, just thought I'd bump this since the following statement is now officially true:

Quote:
No, but it's very likely that Clarke County would become a part of Atlanta's CSA since it already borders the MSA.
This should be laid to rest now.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Since the new MSA/CSA designations have been released, just thought I'd bump this since the following statement is now officially true:

This should be laid to rest now.
Fine, I'll give it to ya.

Still an hour and 30 minutes away from the busiest part of the MSA/CSA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City