Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New York City vs San Francisco
New York 310 56.36%
San Francisco 240 43.64%
Voters: 550. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 07:04 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,449,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
Wow, your results have a picture from 1958!! That proves everything lol!!
This!

Never mind the fact that the third picture isn't even in New York lol! Also saw several pictures from New Year's Eve or right after the ball drops (meanwhile the next day is immaculate). While New York isn't the cleanest big city (many say Chicago hold that title) it's not as bad as SF. Market Street was a total mess and so many homeless people were Downtown and in the train stations, especially during the day.

New York on the other hand is constantly improving in this department.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 07:24 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
And NYC doesn't use bins? Lol it's the exact same thing. This is a point where neither city can boast. Both throw their garbage into the street. This is a moot discussion, imo. Stick with per capita wealth and nature for better arguments.

Why is San Francisco So Dirty? - Reset San Francisco
Not at all. Bins are orderly and better contain the trash. Piles of trash bags aren't really and can easily tear, rip, or have rats gnaw into to them. I'm doubt many people would prefer NYC's system of trash bags on the street. I'm not sure there is another city in America that even does that anymore.

Also great link you have there, it's about a survey that shows people ranking NYC the dirtiest city America! Lol.

I never said anything in this thread about nature or wealth so not sure what you're even talking about.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:28 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,174,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Not at all. Bins are orderly and better contain the trash. Piles of trash bags aren't really and can easily tear, rip, or have rats gnaw into to them. I'm doubt many people would prefer NYC's system of trash bags on the street. I'm not sure there is another city in America that even does that anymore.

Also great link you have there, it's about a survey that shows people ranking NYC the dirtiest city America! Lol.

I never said anything in this thread about nature or wealth so not sure what you're even talking about.
They do use bins in NYC--quit the hyperbole. I'm sure they throw bags on the street in Chinatown--it's not a uniquely NYC problem. As far as dirtiest, it's a toss up. Some lists have NYC dirtier, others with the Bay in front. Neither is a bastion of cleanliness, which is my point.

San Jose, Calif - In Photos: America's 20 Dirtiest Cities - Forbes

As far as nature and wealth, those are the Bay's strong suits in this thread. Anything else is pretty much in NYCs favor.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:29 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,333,568 times
Quote:
I'm doubt many people would prefer NYC's system of trash bags on the street. I'm not sure there is another city in America that even does that anymore.
There is no such "system". You're just making stuff up.

What city doesn't use trash bags to store garbage? Do the crack-addicted bums in SF all dutifully recycle everything, so no need for regular garbage bags?

Old 12-20-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
They do use bins in NYC--quit the hyperbole. I'm sure they throw bags on the street in Chinatown--it's not a uniquely NYC problem. As far as dirtiest, it's a toss up. Some lists have NYC dirtier, others with the Bay in front. Neither is a bastion of cleanliness, which is my point.

San Jose, Calif - In Photos: America's 20 Dirtiest Cities - Forbes

As far as nature and wealth, those are the Bay's strong suits in this thread. Anything else is pretty much in NYCs favor.
Is it just or mostly Manhattan that throws their trash in bags on the street then? I didn't really notice any bins and it seemed like all trash bags piled on the street.

Again I never said anything about nature and wealth so I don't get why you keep brining that up to me.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
There is no such "system". You're just making stuff up.

What city doesn't use trash bags to store garbage? Do the crack-addicted bums in SF all dutifully recycle everything, so no need for regular garbage bags?
Then what exactly do you call it? Seems like in Manhattan at least that is how most places dispose of their trash, by throwing bags in the street.

Like I said most cities use bins. What does your city pick up trash in exactly?

Actually SF has a pretty good waste management system and a pretty high recycling and composting rate.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:41 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,333,568 times
Quote:
Is it just or mostly Manhattan that throws their trash in bags on the street then?
There is nowhere in NYC that "throws their trash in bags on the street." That would be illegal and pointless, and you would get a big fine from the city.

Obviously when garbage is picked up, the garbage has to be out, but that's the same in every city on earth. How does a garbage truck pick up garbage if it isn't available for pickup?

Old 12-20-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
There is nowhere in NYC that "throws their trash in bags on the street." That would be illegal and pointless, and you would get a big fine from the city.

Obviously when garbage is picked up, the garbage has to be out, but that's the same in every city on earth. How does a garbage truck pick up garbage if it isn't available for pickup?
You seemed to be confused by semantics so I'll try again. Is it mostly Manhattan that instead of using your typical trash/recycling bin for trash pick up use plastic garbage bags that are placed on the street instead?

Also what does your trash get picked up in your city in? A bag or a bin?

Old 12-20-2014, 07:47 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,174,514 times
Quote:
Is it just or mostly Manhattan that throws their trash in bags on the street then? I didn't really notice any bins and it seemed like all trash bags piled on the street.

Again I never said anything about nature and wealth so I don't get why you keep brining that up to me.
The bags only pile up on the SIDEWALK when the bins are full--same as in SF and any other city. There is no 'system' in place.

I keep bringing up nature and wealth, because those are the only two areas where SF has an objective lead on NYC. And wealth isn't as clear cut (NYC s wealthiest are wealthier than SFs wealthiest). So to argue over trash, when both cities suck, isn't doing this argument (NYC vs SF) any favors. Both cities are filthy, with their fair share of homeless. Whether one city 'wins' is pretty irrelevant in this regard.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
The bags only pile up on the SIDEWALK when the bins are full--same as in SF and any other city. There is no 'system' in place.

I keep bringing up nature and wealth, because those are the only two areas where SF has an objective lead on NYC. And wealth isn't as clear cut (NYC s wealthiest are wealthier than SFs wealthiest). So to argue over trash, when both cities suck, isn't doing this argument (NYC vs SF) any favors. Both cities are filthy, with their fair share of homeless. Whether one city 'wins' is pretty irrelevant in this regard.
Weird, I don't recall seeing any bins. It looked like just bags on the sidewalk with no bins around.

That's nice, I don't care and weren't talking about those things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City