Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2015, 05:03 PM

32,088 posts, read 34,696,690 times

Advertisements

Article titled "The Southern Flair of Washington, DC"

Washington DC | Garden and Gun

Old 03-03-2015, 05:11 PM

32,088 posts, read 34,696,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
That goes for D.C., Bmore, Philly, NYC, Boston, Chicago, and Cleveland. They became urban and left most of their country southern ways behind.
Not sure about that. In Philly, and likely other Northeastern cities too, exposure to other ethnic groups had some impact on their respective Black populations.

Quote:
During the mid-1940s, Philadelphia's adjacent Italian and African-American neighborhoods experienced significant growth, resulting in a mingling of the two cultures and a subsequent fusing of speech patterns.
Yo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-03-2015, 05:31 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,036,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Compare Wale to any rapper from ATL. The difference in the way they talk is VERY different.
Or any rapper from Texas pimp c would be a perfect example. He sounds country wale does not

Old 03-03-2015, 05:33 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
LOL, this is laughable dude. DC obviously has both Southern and Northern cultural influences and anyone with an iota of intelligence can discern this.
I agree with Mutiny. I never met anybody ever say DC was the South before I came on City Data. I am still in shock anybody considers Baltimore or DC the South.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:24 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,350,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Article titled "The Southern Flair of Washington, DC"

Washington DC | Garden and Gun
This thread is about which city is more southern. Answer then get on with it, this is not a debate if DC is southern. The thread title says which is city is more southern. Like someone else said the answer is as obvious as asking which animal flies.... A dog or a bird?

Matter of time before this thread gets ruined because of the same old posters for years always steer it off topic.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:40 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,926,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Are you from DC? If not, don't try to tell us what we think or how we identify.
You need to remember this goes both ways, and applies equally to you in regards to Atlanta.

Quote:
People from DC couldn't care less about people in the north or the south. You need to worry about your own city and what people in your city identify with and stop trying to act like an expert for DC proper.
Absolutely not true, at all. The obsession with and wish to associate with the NE is just as strong as the extreme desire to totally disassociate with any and all things considered 'Southern' by a large number of DMV posters. It is on full display on a regular basis here.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:21 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,513,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
You need to remember this goes both ways, and applies equally to you in regards to Atlanta.

Absolutely not true, at all. The obsession with and wish to associate with the NE is just as strong as the extreme desire to totally disassociate with any and all things considered 'Southern' by a large number of DMV posters. It is on full display on a regular basis here.
I think most DMV people are happy to associate as mid Atlantic & accept that we have strong influences from both regions. But Washington has grown into part of the North East corridor, hence the reason it is called the Bos-Wash corridor

Old 03-03-2015, 09:38 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,748,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
I think most DMV people are happy to associate as mid Atlantic & accept that we have strong influences from both regions. But Washington has grown into part of the North East corridor, hence the reason it is called the Bos-Wash corridor
This!

Old 03-03-2015, 09:47 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,863,668 times
I'll be completely honest here, and a lot of you will probably be real mad but I'm just going to go ahead and say it. Lots of black people in Atlanta and other deep southern areas, I hardly even understand what they are saying. Sorry, just being 100% honest. It is almost undecipherable at times. I'm talking about the average black guy on the street in Atlanta. I understand the educated doctors, lawyers, etc, and women more often than men, but some regular Joes (note: the "homeboys") can be just as hard as trying to figure out what a Russian with a thick accent is saying. In DC I understand everyone down to the lowest and most uneducated rungs of society. In Atlanta? I'd be lying to say that. Let me just say "sorry" in advance to everyone who is going to be really mad that I said the honest truth.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:39 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,926,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
I totally get this and understand, and you are being very reasonable.

However, MDAllstar talks out of both sides of his/her mouth. In one breath it's that D.C. doesn't care about and has absolutely no influence from either the North or the South - it is totally unique, of it's own culture. Then immediately they agree with your above statement.

You can't have it both ways, but thanks again for being one of the few voices of reason for the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City